PokuPoku

Questions about income requirement?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I'm a little confused; Is there an income requirement during the k-1 visa process? I've seen mentions of it but its kinda hard for me to understand exactly. I'm right now finishing up the i-129f form so I can bring my fiancee and her daughter to America from Malaysia. Me and her are both self-employed. She is probably best described as living in poverty.

For me.. its very complicated. Last year, my "total income" was technically only $14.5k. But, I also own a house (currently worth $150k) and have a stock account currently worth $47,000. I also have a few thousand in my checking account. I have no debts, aside from ~$50k house mortgage. So I am "income poor" but "asset rich" I guess.

Is that bad, or doesn't matter?

Edited by PokuPoku

2 hours ago, PokuPoku said:

I'm a little confused; Is there an income requirement during the k-1 visa process? I've seen mentions of it but its kinda hard for me to understand exactly. I'm right now finishing up the i-129f form so I can bring my fiancee and her daughter to America from Malaysia. Me and her are both self-employed. She is probably best described as living in poverty.

For me.. its very complicated. Last year, my "total income" was technically only $14.5k. But, I also own a house (currently worth $150k) and have a stock account currently worth $47,000. I also have a few thousand in my checking account. I have no debts, aside from ~$50k house mortgage. So I am "income poor" but "asset rich" I guess.

Is that bad, or doesn't matter?

Sounds like you will need a joint sponsor.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No income requirement for now.

After the I-129F is approved and sent to the embassy, you will need to fill out an I-134, affidavit of support.

You have a year to 1.5 years to get your income sorted (better job, pay raise, etc).  If not, then you will need a co-sponsor.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Joint Sponsor

How 3 will live on 15k is another matter 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes, it matters.

Given that you put "total income" in inverted commas, and used the word "technically", I'm guessing you may have been trying to minimize your income (for whatever reason - no judgement).  If so, you're now in a conundrum.  You can't possibly sponsor two other people on that "total income".  

So, either get a joint sponsor, or be upfront about your "total income".  

Edited by EmilyW

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 hours ago, PokuPoku said:

I also own a house (currently worth $150k) and have a stock account currently worth $47,000. I also have a few thousand in my checking account. I have no debts, aside from ~$50k house mortgage.

Using assets to replace or supplement income is tricky and depends on the consulate and officer conducting the interview.  They tend to prefer current income vs assets.  If assets are used, they should be liquid (i.e., cash savings).  If you were to sell the house and net $100K, where would you live?  If you sell the stocks and move the cash to your bank account, how long would that money support you and the intending immigrant?  This is why officers prefer sufficient current income.  I suggest that in the year or more until the I-134 is needed, and beyond that for the I-864, that you find a regular W2 job or find a qualified joint sponsor.

Timeline

Thank you for the replies. Being self employed, I write off as many expenses as I can, which makes my income appear lower than a regularly employed person. I also have low expenses since my monthly house payments are only $550.

How does the joint sponsor work?

34 minutes ago, PokuPoku said:

Thank you for the replies. Being self employed, I write off as many expenses as I can, which makes my income appear lower than a regularly employed person. I also have low expenses since my monthly house payments are only $550.

How does the joint sponsor work?

Generally a great thing to write off expenses but terrible for immigration. 
Monthly expenses don’t really mean anything. They want to see proof of income…and it should exceed the amount I mentioned above (household of 3 unless you have children- then it is more). 
Joint sponsor- you will need someone to agree to complete the I864 for your future spouse and for her daughter. You still complete the affidavit of support but they complete one, too. they will have to make enough to support their household +1. 
Google I864p for amounts and i864 to look at the responsibilities of the sponsor. 

I can't figure out if you sent your petition yet?

Self-employed sponsors' income is calculated from the last tax year, so you might want to read the instructions very carefully, and discuss with your accountant.

Depending on where your are in the process, 2023 tax return might be just right to show your income at the interview/adjust status (read the i-864 instructions for that).

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Example of the link that goes to the form: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

It is to be known that the joint sponsor need to know up front that they'll be responsible for you (they need to read the whole form and instructions too to see what's going on) if you screwed up or use government assistance, but I'm not aware of how often this happened.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-2024]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.
NOA as of 4/29/24 - Oath Ceremony scheduled for May 30th in Chattanooga, TN. Rescheduled as of May 2nd, 2024 by USCIS - new date is May 29th.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Redro said:

Joint sponsor- you will need someone to agree to complete the I864 for your future spouse and for her daughter. You still complete the affidavit of support but they complete one, too. they will have to make enough to support their household +1. 
Google I864p for amounts and i864 to look at the responsibilities of the sponsor.

11 minutes ago, WaterLeaf said:

Example of the link that goes to the form: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

It is to be known that the joint sponsor need to know up front that they'll be responsible for you (they need to read the whole form and instructions too to see what's going on) if you screwed up or use government assistance, but I'm not aware of how often this happened.

thanks, I read over some of it. I'm fairly certain I have people who will help us with that part. I feel a little better now.

8 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

I can't figure out if you sent your petition yet?

I've only just started. I'm sending out the first form on monday.

Timeline

I read this https://citizenpath.com/faq/use-assets-i-864/

Required Cash Value of Assets

The total net value of assets, less liens and liabilities against them, must equal five times the difference between the sponsor’s income and 125 percent of the poverty level for the household size.

Sponsors of spouses and children of U.S. citizens must only prove assets valued at three times the difference between the poverty guidelines and actual household income.

Sponsors of orphans who will acquire citizenship after admission to the United States must only prove assets equal to the difference between the poverty guidelines and actual household income.

For example, a sponsor has an income of $20,000. However, the necessary minimum income for his household size is $30,000. There is a shortfall of $10,000. He or she may use assets to make up this difference. If sponsoring a spouse, the assets must value at least $30,000 (3 times the shortfall). For most other intending immigrants, the assets must value $50,000 (5 times the shortfall).

So as long as I boost my income a little bit (it'll definitely be higher this year, 2022 was an unusually bad year), I should be able to make up the ~$10,000 difference with my ~$50k in cash and stock assets, right?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I know what the theory is, I know what the wording says, I also know what happened to me with bothe the I 134 and I 864.

There is a degree of subjectivity and it seems local practice that does not always match the wording.

One famous YT Lawyer insists that your 3 years taxes needs to meet the requirements, I have seen many people pass without meeting that, perhaps he had a case where they insisted so that is his baseline?

Down the other end I have seen cases I was sure would fail and had no issue.

Plus the logic makes no sense to me, if you need to show you can support using assets at 3x the amount for what could be an indefinite period? How does that work? Mind you if you just meet the requirements and have to pay that over what are you supposed to live on?

In your case I would like to have a Joint Sponsor lined up, if that is not possible go for it and keep your fingers crossed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Plus the logic makes no sense to me, if you need to show you can support using assets at 3x the amount for what could be an indefinite period? How does that work? Mind you if you just meet the requirements and have to pay that over what are you supposed to live on?

income alone is just a bad measure, imo. There is a biiiiiiig difference between having to pay $2,700 for an average 1 BR apartment in los angeles vs paying a $550 mortgage in Alabama. And as soon as my fiancee is allowed to work, she'll be working too, so its not like I need to support her and her daughter alone for the rest of my life.

8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

One famous YT Lawyer insists that your 3 years taxes needs to meet the requirements

My previous year was a lot better, $41k lol

Thats interesting to know its not a hard rule. I'll definitely be looking to increase my income now. I didn't have too much motivation before, but now I do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.