llcoolwil

Continuing Remote Work For Canadian Company After Activating CR-1

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all! 

I tried searching around the forums for an answer because I swear I have seen this before but I couldn't find. Apologies if this is duplicate topic. Here's my question:

I currently work remotely from home for a Canadian office. If they decided to allow me to work remotely from another country, will it cause any issues with my visa or go against any legal requirements? I'd be working for a Canadian office from the US while earning money to my Canadian bank account. 

Interview is August 8 so I'm trying to align everything with my work! 

Thanks so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, llcoolwil said:

will it cause any issues with my visa or go against any legal requirements?

The moment you enter the US via a CR-1, you are authorized to work inside the US.  Taxes are the only consideration which comes to mind.  Good luck. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

The moment you enter the US via a CR-1, you are authorized to work inside the US.  Taxes are the only consideration which comes to mind.  Good luck. 

Oh! That's great! So keeping Canadian employment isn't completely off the table then? Just have to make sure I file the appropriate taxes in both countries? 

There's more to it than taxes. Some companies do not allow remote working for another country because it may be construed by the government as setting up an office in that country. Then the company could potentially be liable for following US labor laws, remitting US business taxes, etc. You'll need to check with your company's HR department and corporate counsel.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Adventine said:

There's more to it than taxes. Some companies do not allow remote working for another country because it may be construed by the government as setting up an office in that country. Then the company could potentially be liable for following US labor laws, remitting US business taxes, etc. You'll need to check with your company's HR department and corporate counsel.

Great call out!! Thank you!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The company needs to have the proper US tax ID for u to work in the US

much of the company doing this depends on things like "does it sell products?"   that would be competition for US companies

Feb 14, 2020  A foreign corporation may establish a branch within the US to conduct its business activities even though most foreign corporations choose ...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, llcoolwil said:

will it cause any issues with my visa or go against any legal requirements?

earning money to my Canadian bank account

Are they going to pay you as a T-4 employee? If so, the problem I see is that when you file a U.S. tax return, you get a tax credit for foreign taxes paid, meaning you will not be paying any U.S. taxes. I can see the IRS letting that go for a year or two, but eventually I think they will question it.

Ideally you are paid as a contractor by your Canadian employer. See 

Paying to your Canadian bank account is fine. iME transfers from a Canadian to US bank account work fine. Just be mindful of FBAR if the total balance of all your foreign financial accounts exceeds $10,000 USD on any given day of the calendar year. If so you have to make a separate report from your IRS tax return.

Interview is August 8 so I'm trying to align everything with my work! 

Are you using this continuing income in I-864?

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Are you using this continuing income in I-864?

No because it's not set in stone that this will actually happen. This is all rhetorical right now. 

Timeline

I was mulling over this for a bit, but I decided against it. 

First reason is that I would get double taxed, by both US and Canada.  I would have to pay for health insurance out of pocket instead of benefit from possible employee plan discounts.  There would be very little chance for advancement or progression within company, at least in my position, because you would basically be overlooked for someone in the office/in the country.  If there is a regime change in my company and they decide to make changes, the person working remotely from a different country is a good option for chopping block. Finally, I have made a decision to move to the US and want to build more connections within the US and transfer my life there.    

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know you've already made up your mind, but just FYI, you don't get double taxed because there's a tax treaty. I still commute back to Canada for my job (I live near the border). Keeping Canadian employment is not a great situation for multiple reasons, but it's doable.

Edited by JlovesA
clarity

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.