DrBobbie24

F1 STEM OPT, getting married in France, adjusting status later?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How is that different from for example wanting to visit Disneyland - and then adjusting.

As you are in the US Marry file to adjust, no visa involved and then travel with AP.

My vote is always for the simple solution.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, DrBobbie24 said:

Is it wrong to say that my true purpose is my job? The AOS is secondary... But I guess that could be seen as a lie by omission as Mike mentioned.

I'm in Wisconsin. I'm guessing that in any case, filing for an immigrant visa would still mean staying in the US the whole time. How would that be different/better than filing for AOS right away?

Filing for an immigrant visa requires consular processing back in your home country.  

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, DrBobbie24 said:

n. I'm guessing that in any case, filing for an immigrant visa would still mean staying in the US the whole time.

No, it depends on what path you take.

Scenario 1:

get married here without having left in the interim, file I-130 and AOS together, do not leave until you have received AP

Scenario 2:

get married here, file ONLY i-130 and select consular processing.  You may or may not be admitted back on your student visa if you leave the US before you are called for your consular interview.

Scenario 3:

same as 2 except you leave to get married in France. 

10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

As you are in the US Marry file to adjust, no visa involved and then travel with AP.

My vote is always for the simple solution.

It does sound easier but it does come with the no travel for 8-10 months until AP, correct?

If we were to go to France, NOT get married (but maybe have a party with our families), come back, and later this fall or maybe next spring decide to officially get married in the US, would that still count as reentering with intent?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
16 minutes ago, DrBobbie24 said:

Is it wrong to say that my true purpose is my job? The AOS is secondary... But I guess that could be seen as a lie by omission as Mike mentioned.

That is not a lie by omission. It is a total lie.

I'm in Wisconsin.

Then you can marry next week and file an I-485 package then. 

How would that be different/better than filing for AOS right away?

?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 minutes ago, DrBobbie24 said:

It does sound easier but it does come with the no travel for 8-10 months until AP, correct?

If we were to go to France, NOT get married (but maybe have a party with our families), come back, and later this fall or maybe next spring decide to officially get married in the US, would that still count as reentering with intent?

You are on STEM OPT! You know the answer. I am not going there.

I have an idea how long the average AP is taking for those getting them recently, how long your one will take, what the average will be then I do not know, usually they are not quick.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
30 minutes ago, DrBobbie24 said:

When you intend to file I-485 and then enter the U.S., you have immigration intent. 

Did you know your future spouse before you applied for your F-1 visa?

51 minutes ago, DrBobbie24 said:

I'm in Wisconsin. I'm guessing that in any case, filing for an immigrant visa would still mean staying in the US the whole time. How would that be different/better than filing for AOS right away?

If AOS is secondary, that means it is not important at all and you are intending to go back to France once your job is over and OPT expires. 

35 minutes ago, DrBobbie24 said:

What is more important: 

Remaining in the US and not being separated from your USC partner 

or 

Having a party/wedding in France this summer?

Edited by Redro

1 hour ago, DrBobbie24 said:

That would mean filing from France though, correct? 

I probably misunderstood the lawyer I talked to but I'm guessing not mentioning it to the border agent isn't an option, correct? I'm sorry I know I'm probably asking silly questions I already know the answer to just in case...

Correct, lying to CBP is NOT an option.

Your entire plan is FRAUD.   Please reconsider ruining your future this way.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You can't make plans for travel and marriage to France and then try to find a workaround given US immigration law.  It doesn't work that way and can lead to problems for you down the road, so why jeopardize your ability to stay in the US?  The timelines and paths for you to become a legal permanent resident have been laid out clearly in response to your questions.  You and your significant other have some decisions to make given those options and their estimated timelines, which are out of your control.  Learn and research all of this for yourself, and make a decision that is legal.  Your travel and marriage plans may have to be adjusted to align with the law and the slow, inefficient US immigration bureaucracy.  If you decide to use an attorney, I suggest that you find one that is competent and knowledgeable in US immigration law.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, DrBobbie24 said:

Is there an option where we don't adjust the status about getting married? Maybe wait 6 months? Would that make any difference?

How would 6 months change the intent you had when you entered the US?  It is illegal to enter the US via a non-immigrant visa with the intent to adjust status later.  You are trying to play word games.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 hours ago, DrBobbie24 said:

If you plan to adjust status, of course, it would. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I recommend you don't take the risk. Get married here, adjust status and wait for AP. It's better to wait for the party in France, than missing all your chances to be with the person you love, times goes fast.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.