Walbrzyszanka221

EAD for Parents: Mom got her EAD but dad still waiting but he desperately needs it for CDL renewal

71 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing wishy washy about working having overstayed a tourist visa.

Complications could arise if he ever claimed to be a US Citizen.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well it may or may not be relevant what he has been doing, the disturbing issue is that you do not know.

Disturbing is a strong word to use here, just my opinion. All I know is that he has been working and paying for his taxes. I would find it concerning if he worked but he did not pay his taxes. He has always tried to do things legally. 

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Nothing wishy washy about working having overstayed a tourist visa.

Complications could arise if he ever claimed to be a US Citizen.

He has never claimed to be a US citizen. We hired a lawyer for my parents and their AOS cases.

9/4/2019 - Packet was sent
9/6/2019 - Packet was received by USCIS in Phoenix, Arizona
9/11/2019 - Personal Check was deposited/cashed by USCIS
9/11/2019 - Received text message with my LIN case #
9/14/2019 - Received Receipt and Extension
1/10/2020 (Day 126) - Received Biometrics Letter
1/23/2020 (Day 139) - Biometrics Completed

2/8/2020  - Separated from Husband

8/11/2020 - Divorce was Finalized

9/10/2020 - New Card is Being Produced

9/14/2020 - New Card was Mailed

9/15/2020 - Post Office Picked Up the Card

9/16/2020 - Card Delivered

8/21/2022 - N-400 Form was Submitted and Case is Being Actively Reviewed

10/21/2022 - Interview scheduled

12/1/2022 - Interview and approved

12/1/2022 - Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled (30-45 days)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Walbrzyszanka221 said:

Yes, I know that. My dad has been doing his taxes for a long time now. And I understand your statement about USCIS not expediting my dad's case because he hasn't been working with proper work authorization. But to my dad's defense, he has always done things legally. He held a job as a janitor at a Chase bank, and I would think that they wouldn't hire him if they believed it was not legal but it seems to me that the requirements to work legally are wishy-washy. 

All of this aside, I am just worried that he will not get his EAD in time and when I say I am worried, I am worried for his mental state. He will stress about this. That is all. I know every case is different and some cases get approved quicker than others.

Tourist Visa in 2001.

I'm out.  Unfollowing this thread.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, powerpuff said:

So he has been out of status for the past 20+ years? 

Is he applying for AOS based on your being a USC? 

Yes

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I'm out.  Unfollowing this thread.

Thanks for your input

Timeline

Wonder how he got a CDL in the first place?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Wonder how he got a CDL in the first place?

He got his CDL before 2013. I know that the law/requirement to renew CDL changed in 2015.

Edited by Walbrzyszanka221

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

OP here is dodging questions. I'm in and out as fast as I came.

@Boiler and @Crazy Cat there are some states that apparently, issue DL and DL insurance to illegals. I think that is why Latinos prefer Florida. I'm not sure if the rules have since changed due to the new law. I think NJ too. 

OP dad may be having ITIN and not SSN.

Funny enough, he may also be actually having SSN because back then, some states used to issue unrestricted SSN to F-1 students. Those were the lucky days. I came across someone who came on B-2 back in early 2000's and has one. She's just AOSing right now based on marriage to USC. All this time, she's been working at big companies using that SSN. I also know some F-1 students who got that unrestricted SSN from back in the days in some states. Nonetheless, both these 2 loopholes have since been sealed. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

My State gives DL to illegals but not back then

CDL is another issue 

Timeline

I forget when they stopped issuing SSN for the asking so he could have a SSN

Edited by Boiler

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Redro said:

@w

you might want to have another look at your father’s I485. And have a chat to him about his SSN. His SSN might have been stolen, he might be using a fake SSN, his SSN might actually be an ITIN. Then make sure your father said he has worked in the US without authorization… the delayed issuance of the EAD might be because his gave incorrect information or it could be because EAD issuance is not consistent and you have nothing to worry about. 
I hope your parents also know they cannot travel with AP or they will incur a ban. If you think your father was 💯 honest in his application for adjustment I would submit a request for expedite (I assume he has a job offer?) 

Good luck! 
P.S as the petitioner it is your duty to look after your parents during AOS. You’ve signed documentation showing you can support them. And your mother can work to help you out seeing as your father is currently unable to work. 

His SSN was not stolen or fake. I know that as his dependent back in the day, I did have an ITIN number but he has a SSN. 

I believe issuing SSN was easier prior to 9/11 and after that event, some states did issue out SSN. I believe that is how he got it.

When we were filling out the application, everything was filled out correctly. My parents and I know that they can't travel. 

And yes, I know that as the petitioner it is my duty to support my parents financially and I am ready to do that but I need to have a plan set with my parents. Just speaking my mind. My father is still working, the problem is that after 6/17, he won't be able to be a truck driver because that is when he needs to go and re-new his CDL.

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Timona said:

OP here is dodging questions. I'm in and out as fast as I came.

@Boiler and @Crazy Cat there are some states that apparently, issue DL and DL insurance to illegals. I think that is why Latinos prefer Florida. I'm not sure if the rules have since changed due to the new law. I think NJ too. 

OP dad may be having ITIN and not SSN.

Funny enough, he may also be actually having SSN because back then, some states used to issue unrestricted SSN to F-1 students. Those were the lucky days. I came across someone who came on B-2 back in early 2000's and has one. She's just AOSing right now based on marriage to USC. All this time, she's been working at big companies using that SSN. I also know some F-1 students who got that unrestricted SSN from back in the days in some states. Nonetheless, both these 2 loopholes have since been sealed. 

Not dodging questions here. All of this (i.e my dad getting his SSN and his CDL) happened 20 years ago and 10 years ago, respectively, so it is hard for me to remember. Also during that time, I was in school, so to be honest, I was not thinking about such matters then. Now that I am able to help my parents out, I am just seeking the opinion of people on this forum. I understand that each case is different but out of stress, I am trying to see what others have experienced in a similar situation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.