Thesearethedays

Effects of police report on pending AOS application (merged)

79 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

This is outside of immigration, but as an adult working with kids I 100% suggest that you tell him the truth. Consult with a counselor first, but people have a right to know about their origins.

He's too young for a talk about his bio father. All he would know is that daddy sent him away. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Thesearethedays said:

He's too young for a talk about his bio father. All he would know is that daddy sent him away. 

This is really down to his Parents

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

This is really down to his Parents

Which would be my wife and all she would do is lie. Especially if she gets deported. Of course it would be all my fault. 

Just now, Thesearethedays said:

Which would be my wife and all she would do is lie. Especially if she gets deported. Of course it would be all my fault. 

Unfortunately, it appears you cannot control the relationship between you and your stepson… 

But, as you have a shared child, if you win custody of your child you can perhaps explain things to your stepson when he is older. 
I would work on filing divorce, fighting for custody, making sure you put a block on your shared child’s passport (so she can’t flee the US with the baby), and protecting yourself from VAWA claims. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, ROK2USA said:

Unfortunately, it appears you cannot control the relationship between you and your stepson… 

But, as you have a shared child, if you win custody of your child you can perhaps explain things to your stepson when he is older. 
I would work on filing divorce, fighting for custody, making sure you put a block on your shared child’s passport (so she can’t flee the US with the baby), and protecting yourself from VAWA claims. 

I don't think I would win custody. I have not adopted my step son. I was working on that whnw all this mess started and my wife won't sign anything. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Thesearethedays said:

I don't think I would win custody. I have not adopted my step son. I was working on that whnw all this mess started and my wife won't sign anything. 

Do you not have a child together, focus on that child.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

17 minutes ago, Thesearethedays said:

No… win custody of the shared child. 
If you have custody of your shared child and maintain some type of contact with your STBX wife. You can explain everything to your stepson when he is older… 

if you do not have custody of your shared child you might lose contact with both your biological child and your stepson…and maybe won’t ever be able to explain your side of the story. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Folks, good advice here, but let's take care to keep this thread focused on immigration-related issues.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

38 minutes ago, Thesearethedays said:

don't think I would win custody. I have not adopted my step son. I was working on that whnw all this mess started and my wife won't sign anything

As a matter of strategy, I would file for divorce requesting Joint Legal and Physical Custody of child born in the marriage with the standard provisions of joint parental consent. 
She does not need to sign or agree to anything beforehand…YOU just need to serve her and have your attorney ready to move case fast at every step. Thee will be mandated custody mediation..etc and case will move through the family court at its own pace.

In the meantime, block the baby’s passport…lots of how to details in past posts.

Have you sent letter to withdraw I-854 ?
Have you filed and served her with divorce?

What is your thought on you going to stay with your friends/family until you serve divorce papers and see what actions she takes?

2 hours ago, Thesearethedays said:

Especially if she gets deported

No one will be  “deporting “ her anytime soon…if she wants to stay she will find a way…. A denial letter will not result in an automatic NTA ..even if an NTA is filed she will get PD / prosecutorial discretion ..

So stop driving yourself crazy and stay focused on sanity saving measures: if marriage is done, pull I-864 , file divorce and figure out a way to PHYSICALLY SEPARATE asap….

It doesn’t matter that her version of reality up to now could get her a VAWA green card ….that will have NO NEGATIVE impact on you ..the danger is that violent outbursts could escalate to you getting arrested …so get some distance and clear your head.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 4/17/2023 at 11:06 AM, Thesearethedays said:

Thanks. 

What happens with her Son? Since they are on their own processes?  Can I revoke hers but not his? 

23 hours ago, Thesearethedays said:

She won't leave him. I asked her to let me adopt him so he could be raised here and have a good future. If kids weren't involved, it would be so much easier. My step son believes I'm his real father and so I'm torn because I don't know what I'm supposed to tell him.  

Then why did you ask what happens to his I-485?

Timeline
On 4/18/2023 at 6:28 PM, Mike E said:

Then why did you ask what happens to his I-485?

I thought that if I only cancelled her AOS, his might still continue to be processed.  Granting a GC for him even if he had left the country. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, Thesearethedays said:

I thought that if I only cancelled her AOS, his might still continue to be processed.  Granting a GC for him even if he had left the country. 

GCs are for living in the U.S. Legally if he took up residence in another country, he is subject to a finding of abandonment of LPR status.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

GCs are for living in the U.S. Legally if he took up residence in another country, he is subject to a finding of abandonment of LPR status.

It would allow his mother to sue to enforce the obligations of the I 864

Timeline

I got the letter sent off to withdraw the Affidavit of Support, but a week later we received notification that the AOS was approved for both my wife and my step son. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.