Noktor

How and where to mail your I-485/I-767/I-131

60 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have looked at the I-485 guide and still have a few questions. I will be submitting all 3 applications. Do I put each application and its required documents into 1 envelope each and then consolidate them all into 1 envelope and mail out just that? or do I keep them all in 3 seperate envelopes and mail them individually?

Also where do I need to mail them to?

Just to clarify: 3 forms for the same person (I-765, I-131, I-485)? If the answer is yes, you can submit them all together in one envelope.

Put forms at the front, and evidence at the back. Make and print a page with table of content to go in front of everything.

For each beneficiary, you'd have a different packet, unless they're minor kids of beneficiary. Then everything goes in one packet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Noktor said:

Do I put each application and its required documents into 1 envelope each and then consolidate them all into 1 envelope and mail out just that? or do I keep them all in 3 seperate envelopes and mail them individually?

Neither. Put a rubber band around each application and send all applications in one envelope or box.

14 minutes ago, Noktor said:

Also where do I need to mail them to?

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Where to File

Where you file your Form I-485 depends on your eligibility category. Go to our Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485 page to see where you should file your application. 

If you file at a USCIS lockbox, you may not receive an A-Number on your Form I-797, Notice of Action, due to a change in our business process. In these cases, we will send your A-Number in a second notice a few days after accepting your application.

Timeline
16 hours ago, OldUser said:

Just to clarify: 3 forms for the same person (I-765, I-131, I-485)? If the answer is yes, you can submit them all together in one envelope.

Put forms at the front, and evidence at the back. Make and print a page with table of content to go in front of everything.

For each beneficiary, you'd have a different packet, unless they're minor kids of beneficiary. Then everything goes in one packet.

I'm filing the 3 forms just for my wife who came over recently via a K1 visa, so that she can get her greencard, work permit and travel documents. And thanks @OldUser and @Mike E

Timeline

I sponsored my fiance to come to the US via K1-visa, and then we got married a month later. Is there a deadline on when the I-485, I-767, and I-131 need to be submitted? I know the k1-visa grants her 90 days to stay within the US and within that time frame you must get married, but was wondering if that 90 day period also applies to submitting those other forms as well?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Noname93 said:

There is no deadline for submitting AOS. However, once the 90 days are over your spouse will be out of status and can therefore be deported. All it takes is a run-in with the police (can be as much as getting pulled over)

Even if we're married? In that case I'm worried then. I really do not want to take the risk of my wife getting deported. I have about a week left until it hits the 90 day mark. If I submit my AOS application, i-767, i-131 soon, do you think I'll be okay?

Edited by Noktor

9 minutes ago, Noktor said:

Even if we're married?

Yes, marriage alone does not grant any immigration benefits. @Mike E where's the link to that one thread where someone got deported after getting pulled over in traffic?

Submit it as soon as you have everything. As soon as you get the NOA, you will have proof if authorized stay. Some people live for years while in overstay without problems. Others don't. I wouldn't risk it.

Edited by Noname93

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Noktor said:

Even if we're married? In that case I'm worried then. I really do not want to take the risk of my wife getting deported. I have about a week left until it hits the 90 day mark. If I submit my AOS application, i-767, i-131 soon, do you think I'll be okay?

Assuming you have filled out all the forms properly and have all the required evidence you should be fine submitting.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Dashinka said:

In the case below, the OP was detained after their immigration status was checked after a minor traffic incident.  If I remember correctly, they were not deported, but they had to deal with a huge and expensive headache.

SpaceAge stopped posting to visa journey and I presume her immigration journey ended, even after she bonded out of jail. Once ICE gets involved, the legal expenses are prohibitive.

SpaceAge made the same mistake others make: she was waiting for that one extra document to file. She did not need to wait.

ICE does not have to forgive unauthorized presence and unauthorized work.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
7 hours ago, Noktor said:

Depends on the state you're living in, too: in California the officer isn't allowed to ask for your immigration status during a traffic stop.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Noktor said:

I submit my AOS application, i-767, i-131 soon, do you think I'll be okay?

We were faced with a problem where we needed 3 essential documents from Burma to file and the runway was short. We asked our lawyer what happens if we file late. She made a pained face and said “well ICE won’t come the first week” . Translation: in her 25 year career she had a case where ICE came the second week.

We got our I-485 receipt before day 90.

If you must file late, the beneficiary should minimize leaving the home, especially in neighborhoods where Border Patrol operates. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.