13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi:
My mother in law just got here to the US on a humanitarian visa. She came through U4U. How can she adjust her status? My wife, is a USC over 21 years old and she would like to start the process of adjusting her status. Problem is we have no idea where to start.
1) how to get her application for a Social security card? Is is faster to do this before the adjustment or together when filing for everything? I heard U4U gets their EAD and social security card real quick.
2) How to apply for EAD and AP (if she is elegible)
3) How to get her vaccination done and where to get it done and is it done before we start all the immigration paperwork?
4) Is she eligible for somekinda goverment program, since she is 74 y.o? Medicaid?
There is no set rules or answers on USCIS on how to proceed, since her case is not the majority of U4U cases or should we just go with a lawyer and let them do it for us?

Thanks for any advice.

Please move this topic to the appropriate forum if needed. 
Edited by ROC-AL

I don't believe U4U allows adjustment.

However, imagine your mother in law was here on visit visa. What would be the basis for her adjustment? Who would sponsor her for immigration benefit?

I'd consult with a lawyer to see if there is a path. I don't see it.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assume the basis is being the parent of a USC if I read it right.

Essentially it is the same as adjusting from a Tourist Visa, SSN and EAD can of course be applied for under HP so that would be the first thing I would get going.

HP does give you other benefits, probably varies by State, Medicaid may well be one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

I assume the basis is being the parent of a USC if I read it right.

Essentially it is the same as adjusting from a Tourist Visa, SSN and EAD can of course be applied for under HP so that would be the first thing I would get going.

HP does give you other benefits, probably varies by State, Medicaid may well be one.

Thanks, this is possible since i have read some cases on reddit, but specifically we don not know the path for adjusting. I am not aware where and how to do the medical part to send the appropriate paperwork.  This morning we figured how to get EAD and Social security card w/o help.  ...and yes, my wife is USC. 

Timeline

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/130-adjustment-of-status-from-work-student-amp-tourist-visas/

Head over to the Adjustment forum there is a Guide there.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Sponsor yes but no to provide financial support

Timeline

Hi:

I am confused with the 90 day rule for a parent. My MIL is here on parole with U4U. We have decided to proceed with the adjustment.  At first we weren't sure if she wanted to stay so we never applied for I-130. Not up to us...she makes her own decisions. Now, that she is here, she will stay and has decided she won't go back to Ukraine.

What forms need to be filed? I-130, I-485 and have the medical (I-693) ready before sending it all out?

How does intent affect her filing? Parole is a non-immigrant status. 

Will we need to wait the 90 days to file for her not to be questioned about intent? Since her daughter is USC, will this be even asked?

Going back to her prior living situation in Poland to wait for I-130 and visa, is out of the question.

Is adjusting from B1/B2 same issue as adjusting from U4U in this specific case? (mother of USC)

Timeline

There is no 90 day rule, well K1 which obviously is not relevant to this.

Similar to B etc adjustment but being here on HP does give her benefits not applicable to visitors. But the package you need to file is the same.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

There is no 90 day rule, well K1 which obviously is not relevant to this.

Similar to B etc adjustment but being here on HP does give her benefits not applicable to visitors. But the package you need to file is the same.

Thanks for the clarification.  I will look into the guide here in VJ again then

• Ontarkie changed the title to Adjusting from U4U (merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related threads merged. PLease do not start more than one thread for the same or related topic.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1.  Your wife files I-130 online for your MIL  For the relevant question, Part 5,  61.a and 61.b, enter the city/town and state where your MIL lives in the US (I assume she lives with you).  For Part 5, 62.a,b,c, leave blank - your MIL WILL NOT seek consular process for IR5.  She will get a receipt number

2.  You wife will get a receipt number for the I-130.

3.  Use the I-130 receipt number to help your MIL file I-485, I-131, I-765 and I-864 (filled by your wife, and perhaps I-864a filled by you).  Mail it in to the appropriate address with the $1225 fee.  See if your MIL needs to also file I-693 for her medical.

4.  Wait for biometrics.  Go to biometrics.

5.  Wait some more.

6.  Wait even more.

7.  AOS interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.