steve-phuket

leaving US on Advance Parole Document [merged threads]

14 posts in this topic

my wife is awaiting green card interview for I485 AOS. she finally got an Advance Parole Document (I131) after waiting over a year. Its valid for a year so expires Mar 2024. We'd like to travel to Thailand for 4 months next winter, is 4 months too long for a Advance Parole? I've heard people say you should only leave for a few weeks but that may be just BS. any thoughts? thanks

PS, I know if we get an interview appointment while we are away, we'd have to come back sooner.

*** Moved from AOS from K1 Visas forum to Working & Traveling During US Immigration -- topic is about travel with AP ***

19 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

We'd like to travel to Thailand for 4 months next winter, is 4 months too long for a Advance Parole?

AP may be used until its expiry date.  Best not to be away from the US for more than 6 months.

9 minutes ago, Chancy said:

*** Moved from AOS from K1 Visas forum to Working & Traveling During US Immigration -- topic is about travel with AP ***

AP may be used until its expiry date.  Best not to be away from the US for more than 6 months.

thanks, so you think 4 months would not raise any problems getting back?

13 minutes ago, OldUser said:

The problem is she can miss her I-485 interview if she's away for so long.

we'd probably change the return flight to get back in time. my main concern is when she gets to the port of entry at JFK, they would question why she was gone for so long. 

12 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

we'd probably change the return flight to get back in time. my main concern is when she gets to the port of entry at JFK, they would question why she was gone for so long. 

Yes, it's possible. Also don't forget, CBP may deny entry even with AP at his or her discretion. It's a low chance but it exists.

Unless it's a very important trip, I wouldn't go and wait until green card is in hand. Then she wouldn't be denied entry for sure. As LPR she would have to be admitted.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
21 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

Probably?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
19 hours ago, steve-phuket said:

my main concern is when she gets to the port of entry at JFK, they would question why she was gone for so long. 

The duration should not be an issue.  Wanting to visit friends and family, getting to warm weather during winter, missing mom's Thai food and Thai street food...all are valid reasons. 

Other factors may affect the CBP entry inspection - hence, we cannot offer definites that there will or will not be a problem.

• 4 months later...

hi, i applied for AOS I485 for my wife 2 years ago this month. still waiting, USCIS says they are processing. anyhow we have the I131 parole thing and we want to get away for the winter for 3-4 months.

options are go back to Thailand (wife's home country) or go to Mexico. I was thinking MX because quick and easy to get back if an interview date comes up but then i thought, easier to explain away a long trip to Thailand because need to spend time with family.

what would be the better option for avoiding issues coming back, or do you think no issues to worry about?

thanks

Edited by steve-phuket

• steve-phuket changed the title to travelling on I131

i always think its best to use AP for short visit as in 2-3 weeks to avoid any issue on top of just in case u get interview date, its easier to go back. does she eligible to enter mexico without visa ( i dont know much about where thailand passport holder can go without a visa)

Edited by Verrou

• Chancy changed the title to leaving US on Advance Parole Document [merged threads]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.