iamanamericanwife

Green card lost and expiring, should we apply for citizenshipship?

65 posts in this topic

Timeline

I am American and my husband, who is Italian, has had a green card since 2011.His green card is expiring in June and he also had his wallet stolen a few months ago with the green card in it.

We want to leave the country for vacation in July and he even wanted to go for à short trip out of the country in May.

We are also moving to Florida in June and he may need his documentation in order to get a driver's licence.

I am pretty sure he is eligible to apply for citizenship but we never looked into it.

What are our options?

Would an application for citizenship work?

What about the application for green card renewal?

Assuming that both options would work what are the disadvantages to getting citizenship?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Apply for citizenship today. There is a better than 50 percent chance he will take oath of citizenship on or before July  

Timeline

On this page

I saw these paragraphs:

All applicants must send the following three items with their N-400 application:

A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Card or 'Green Card'). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt of your Form I-90, 'Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card'; 

I really hope we have a copy somewhere otherwise, it seems I will have to waste $455 on I-90.

Is the request of a duplicate a necessary step?

Edited by iamanamericanwife

Timeline

I also see that these are the requirements to get a driver licence in Florida:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/what-to-bring/immigrant/

1. Primary Identification

An original of one of the following documents with complete name:

• Valid alien registration receipt card (green card, form I-551); or
  • I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94; or
  • Immigration judge’s order, containing the customer’s A-number (admissions number),
    granting asylum; or
  • I-797, containing the customer’s A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum; or<
  • I-797, or another form from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), with the customer’s A-number, stating the customer’s application for refugee status is approved.

Timeline

I searched the forum and a few messages say you need to be a LPR, not having the actual green card in hand, to get citizenship. For example this one:

So it seems that depending on him wanting to keep the GC or getting citizenship he can just file for I-90 or apply for N-400.

But could he travel outside of US without the green card and just an application for N-400?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, iamanamericanwife said:

But could he travel outside of US without the green card and just an application for N-400?

No.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

From what I gather from your question, I believe his trip in May will pretty much have to be scraped if you don’t want to go through the I-90 process of GC renewal (which I wouldn’t as it seems like a waste of money), and proceed with his naturalization instead. However, I would follow @Mike E’s advice and apply for citizenship immediately. Also, do report the loss of your husband’s green card and get a police report. 

Edited by CMJuilland

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, iamanamericanwife said:

really hope we have a copy somewhere otherwise, it seems I will have to waste $455 on I-90.

Try doing a FOIA request for his entire A file 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, iamanamericanwife said:

I-551 stamp in passport

Call USCIS and ask for an appointment with your closest USCIS field office for an ADIT stamp.  This will be proof of LPR status for one year and can be used for travel and driver's license while you file the N-400.  Don't bother with the I-90, they are taking about a year to process.

Edited by carmel34

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
9 hours ago, iamanamericanwife said:

I am American and my husband, who is Italian, has had a green card since 2011.His green card is expiring in June and he also had his wallet stolen a few months ago with the green card in it.

We want to leave the country for vacation in July and he even wanted to go for à short trip out of the country in May.

We are also moving to Florida in June and he may need his documentation in order to get a driver's licence.

I am pretty sure he is eligible to apply for citizenship but we never looked into it.

What are our options?

Would an application for citizenship work?

What about the application for green card renewal?

Assuming that both options would work what are the disadvantages to getting citizenship?

Wallet stolen few months ago?  , and did you report it to USCIS? 

It's required the beneficiary carries green card on them always.

Contact USCIS for what to do next.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

1 hour ago, Beth & Achraf said:

Wallet stolen few months ago?  , and did you report it to USCIS? 

It's required the beneficiary carries green card on them always.

Contact USCIS for what to do next.

Police report is helpful. The only thing USCIS agent would propose is to file I-90.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Police report is helpful. The only thing USCIS agent would propose is to file I-90.

We already have a police report. @carmel34 talk about getting an ADIT stamp. Are you saying it is not an option?

I found this:

https://tandslaw.com/uscis-expected-to-announce-new-application-process-for-adit-stamps/#:~:text=An ADIT stamp (also known,expired%2C or has been lost.

It dors not say you need to have an I-90 pending.

5 minutes ago, iamanamericanwife said:

We already have a police report. @carmel34 talk about getting an ADIT stamp. Are you saying it is not an option?

I found this:

https://tandslaw.com/uscis-expected-to-announce-new-application-process-for-adit-stamps/#:~:text=An ADIT stamp (also known,expired%2C or has been lost.

It dors not say you need to have an I-90 pending.

Not saying it's impossible to get ADIT stamp. It all depends on your persistance.

USCIS will likely want you to have a pending petition of some sort to request the stamp. The only way you can find out is by trying!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.