Shark777

Using just assets? Beware!

25 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, MarctheShark said:

Our assets showed roughly $260K, mostly cash and mostly all in USD.

At my spouses interview, this I-864 was immediately denied since the interviewer wanted to see US income

You were prepared beyond belief. ..and I appreciate your post. Pointing out that your US $ liquid assets were sufficient and qualifying..enough to take on the the CO s denial. 
Most people will not be able to come up with two standby Joint Sponsor s. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Family said:

You were prepared beyond belief. ..and I appreciate your post. Pointing out that your US $ liquid assets were sufficient and qualifying..enough to take on the the CO s denial. 
Most people will not be able to come up with two standby Joint Sponsor s. 

The third I-864 was just mine, no joint sponsor. I didn’t include real estate on the first one because I thought the US cash would be enough. Apparently, I was wrong, but planned ahead and brought it to the interview. We are a family of 3 BTW

Edited by Shark777

36 minutes ago, Shark777 said:

luckily, we had a third I-864(just mine, no joint sponsor) that showed Chinese real estate in my spouse’s name - all totaling assets over 500k and this was ultimately accepted. (Joint sponsor’s wasn’t taken

Forgive me, but a family of 3 would have only required approx $100k ( 3xs30 plus) on deposit in AuS accounts, you clearly met and exceeded the threshold on the first go. 
I can understand the Joint Sponsor not qualifying , even w lifetime tax free retirement income ..if they carry A loss or take a loss that brings the bottom line to negative..it is a good thing you were prepared for them not accepting .

May I ask how did you clear NVC ? Assuming here just w US assets. 
The fact that they accepted  when you listed an additional $500K of intending immigrants RE assets located in China ..is oddly not surprising…

Your post is informative and helpful to paint a clear picture of how that particular post operates. 

Not seeing a beware here LOL.  I just re-read this.

So the conclusion is the petitioner’s stand alone affidavit of support with all joint assets listed and overseas income only (zero for immigration purposes) was approved.

Where’s the fire?

Edited by iwannaplay54

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Moved to Progress Reports***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
11 hours ago, Shark777 said:

Our assets showed roughly $260K, mostly cash and mostly all in USD.

[…]

At my spouses interview, this I-864 was immediately denied since the interviewer wanted to see US income.  

luckily, we had a third I-864(just mine, no joint sponsor) that showed Chinese real estate in my spouse’s name - all totaling assets over 500k and this was ultimately accepted. (Joint sponsor’s wasn’t taken)

Seems like an error by the CO.  The end result is correct, but accepting an I-864 from the petitioner (aka primary sponsor) with foreign, non liquid assets in name of the beneficiary is just bizarre. Only the first I-864 should have been accepted. 

13 hours ago, Shark777 said:

.Our assets showed roughly $260K, mostly cash and mostly all in USD.

At my spouses interview, this I-864 was immediately denied since the interviewer wanted to see US income. 

Were these assets deposited in a US or Chinese bank? If the latter, was the concern that they could not be guaranteed to be easily moved to a US bank? 

Was the first I-864 updated or was it the one you uploaded to CEAC? 
Question restated: did you bring in 3 new affidavits of support or two (joint sponsor and the one including real estate)? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Qualifying on asset’s seems to have become a lottery play purely at the whims and caprices of consular officers 

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

17 minutes ago, African Zealot said:

Qualifying on asset’s seems to have become a lottery play purely at the whims and caprices of consular officers 

NVC is as inconsistent on asset based qualifications. Most recent hands on , they kicked back three times an I-864 with twice the required bank deposit assets ..caused a 7 month delay until ultimately Sponsor waived white flag and secured a Joint Sponsor 

ITs a game of chance 

Edited by Family

Timeline
8 hours ago, Alex2023 said:

Were these assets deposited in a US or Chinese bank? If the latter, was the concern that they could not be guaranteed to be easily moved to a US bank? 

They were in a U.S. bank account

Timeline
8 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

Was the first I-864 updated or was it the one you uploaded to CEAC? 
Question restated: did you bring in 3 new affidavits of support or two (joint sponsor and the one including real estate)? 

The first one was the one I uploaded to CEAC, it wasn’t updated. I brought two new I-864s to the interview - one with the joint sponsor and one with my US bank account funds and spouses real estate 

Timeline
10 hours ago, Mike E said:

Seems like an error by the CO.  The end result is correct, but accepting an I-864 from the petitioner (aka primary sponsor) with foreign, non liquid assets in name of the beneficiary is just bizarre. Only the first I-864 should have been accepted. 

The final I-864 that was accepted had US bank account funds (from original I-864) & foreign real estate value. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.