Shark777

Using just assets? Beware!

25 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Shark777 said:

The first one was the one I uploaded to CEAC, it wasn’t updated. I brought two new I-864s to the interview - one with the joint sponsor and one with my US bank account funds and spouses real estate 

Kudos on being prepared and good thinking to have them drafted and ready at the interview! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 2/11/2023 at 10:55 AM, Shark777 said:

luckily, we had a third I-864(just mine, no joint sponsor) that showed Chinese real estate in my spouse’s name - all totaling assets over 500k and this was ultimately accepted. 

what real estate documents did you provide?  Were there any issues with the real estate being in China?  Did you have to prove those assets can be transferred to the US?

thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, FPS81 said:

what real estate documents did you provide?  Were there any issues with the real estate being in China?  Did you have to prove those assets can be transferred to the US?

thanks.

We got an appraisal and a document that showed no mortgage.

I originally thought they wouldn’t count it since it was foreign real estate, but I was wrong since they accepted it. 

we didn’t provide any documents to show that we could sell it and send the cash to the US, since I guess that’s understood.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
12 hours ago, Shark777 said:

The final I-864 that was accepted had US bank account funds (from original I-864) & foreign real estate value. 

Real estate not owned by the primary sponsor.  So the difference between then first I-864 and the final one is without distinction. Perhaps the CO realized the error in rejecting the first I-864 and was trying to save face. 

Again the correct result was realized but the way the CO got there was in error. 

This is worrying for me. My spouse has negative income on some tax returns because an LLC she is part of passes through loses to partners; her current salary is above the threshold. I'll be doing the interview in Hong Kong so wonder if I should be prepared 😐

Edited by sleplessinvisland

15 hours ago, Shark777 said:

The first one was the one I uploaded to CEAC, it wasn’t updated. I brought two new I-864s to the interview - one with the joint sponsor and one with my US bank account funds and spouses real estate 

Well, they accepted the updated i864 using assets but you included the real estate. 
I’m thinking if you had first given them an updated i864 with latest bank statements you would have been approved. Your OP is a little misleading… I think the advice is to make sure you bring updated bank account details to interview and not rely on the statements you uploaded at NVC stage… 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, Shark777 said:

We got an appraisal and a document that showed no mortgage.

I originally thought they wouldn’t count it since it was foreign real estate, but I was wrong since they accepted it. 

we didn’t provide any documents to show that we could sell it and send the cash to the US, since I guess that’s understood.

Good to know they accepted this. 

We need to use our assets when it comes time to file the I-864. Real estate (in the US) being one of them. I understand the appraisal, but what document did you use to show that you have no mortgage outstanding? The only thing we have is a spreadsheet from the Title company (can't remember what it's called) but it doesn't really indicate that the house was paid for outright (that I can tell).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The visa officer is charged with the responsibility of ensuring that the intending immigrant will not become a ward of the state. The I-864 is NOT the determining factor here - it is left to the VO's judgment. My own opinion is that is better to show evidence of income and/or a career. But being RICH is certainly good evidence that you are a responsible citizen.

My advice to you would have been to show evidence of a potential career and/or job openings in the US.

Sounds like you simply overwhelmed him with the evidence of assets. No problem.

Edited by RandyW

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 2/12/2023 at 8:54 AM, Alex2023 said:

Hmm. Strange they haven't approved it, considering the sum. Did you show evidence of possessing this money for a significant period of time, like "bank statements for the last twelve months," something they mention in RFEs?

Yes I included 12 months of statements

On 2/12/2023 at 9:16 AM, sleplessinvisland said:

This is worrying for me. My spouse has negative income on some tax returns because an LLC she is part of passes through loses to partners; her current salary is above the threshold. I'll be doing the interview in Hong Kong so wonder if I should be prepared 😐

Interesting how none of the other VJers mentioned this. I'm not sure if the CO made a mistake or not. 

On 2/12/2023 at 11:51 AM, ROK2USA said:

Well, they accepted the updated i864 using assets but you included the real estate. 
I’m thinking if you had first given them an updated i864 with latest bank statements you would have been approved. Your OP is a little misleading… I think the advice is to make sure you bring updated bank account details to interview and not rely on the statements you uploaded at NVC stage… 

That is good advice

On 2/12/2023 at 4:31 PM, Mern V said:

Good to know they accepted this. 

We need to use our assets when it comes time to file the I-864. Real estate (in the US) being one of them. I understand the appraisal, but what document did you use to show that you have no mortgage outstanding? The only thing we have is a spreadsheet from the Title company (can't remember what it's called) but it doesn't really indicate that the house was paid for outright (that I can tell).

We brought a document that we had that only is given to homeowners when there is no mortgage. I'm not sure what you would use for US real estate, sorry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.