Iris1954

Loss of birth country citizenship

18 posts in this topic

We will be applying for USA citizenship soon.  After receiving it do I need to do anything in regards to informing my birth country that I am now a USA citizen?  My birth country does not allow dual citizenship?  If I do not inform them will they have a way of figuring out that I took USA citizenship?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Mike E said:

When you present your passport of that  country and your boarding pass for a U.S. bound flight, to the officer, the officer might flip through your passport asking you where your visa is to travel to the USA.  

Good point!  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

44 minutes ago, Iris1954 said:

We will be applying for USA citizenship soon.  After receiving it do I need to do anything in regards to informing my birth country that I am now a USA citizen?  My birth country does not allow dual citizenship?  If I do not inform them will they have a way of figuring out that I took USA citizenship?

When you omit THE critical detail (country of citizenship), no one can reasonably help you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Iris1954 said:

Laos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship has no information on Laos

https://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_LAOS.html you will lose citizenship of Laos if you become a U.S. citizen. 

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Yes, I know Laos does not allow dual citizenship.  That was mentioned in my first post.   The question remains is that after my partner gets USA citizenship would he need to inform the Laotian government?  Does the USA inform them?   Has anyone dealt with this after getting citizenship?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Iris1954 said:

Yes, I know Laos does not allow dual citizenship.  That was mentioned in my first post.

Well actually you asked a question about that. So I answered it.

11 minutes ago, Iris1954 said:

The question remains is that after my partner gets USA citizenship would he need to inform the Laotian government?  Does the USA inform them?   Has anyone dealt with this after getting citizenship?

All the source material, such as the Lao Embassy,  are written in a Brahmic script that I cannot read.

Edited by Mike E

Link is a bit dated but clearly states one should contact the Laos Embassy in the case of “involuntary loss of citizenship “ when acquiring another country’s citizenship. 
So your answer is YES, contact your embassy 

https://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_LAOS.html

LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP: 

VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of Laotian citizenship is permitted by law, however, permission must be granted by the National Assembly. Persons should not assume renunciation of citizenship to be automatically guaranteed. Contact the Embassy for details and required paperwork. 

INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary renunciation of Laotian citizenship: Person voluntarily acquires a foreign citizenship, though persons in this situation should not assume Laotian citizenship would simply be lost by default. Naturalized citizenship was obtained by fraud or false statement. Naturalized citizen has engaged in behavior detrimental to the state of Laos. 

ANY QUESTIONS concerning citizenship, or requests for renunciation of citizenship, should be directed to the address below:

Embassy of the Lao People's Democratic Republic Consular Section 2222 S St., NW Washington, DC 20008 

Embassy/Consular Telephone: 202-332-6416/17 Fax: 202-332-4923

www.loaembassy.com/discover/index.htm

The question remains of how would the Laotian government know if my partner took USA citizenship?  Is there a mechanism in place where the USA would notify the Laotian Embassy?  Has anyone had experience with taking USA citizenship and trying to retain the citizenship of your birth country when said country does not allow dual citizenship? 

1 hour ago, Iris1954 said:

The question remains of how would the Laotian government know if my partner took USA citizenship?  Is there a mechanism in place where the USA would notify the Laotian Embassy?  Has anyone had experience with taking USA citizenship and trying to retain the citizenship of your birth country when said country does not allow dual citizenship? 

It seems you are asking what are the odds of someone getting caught if they were in contravention of Lao laws.  No one here could probably even speculate.  There is no direct mechanism whereby the US Government informs the Lao Government of former Lao citizens acquiring US Citizenship.  

On 1/20/2023 at 1:23 PM, Mike E said:

Most of the countries I’ve traveled to have passport control officers staffing ports of exit, including flights departing their international airports.

When you present your passport of that  country and your boarding pass for a U.S. bound flight, to the officer, the officer might flip through your passport asking you where your visa is to travel to the USA.  

If you are suspected of being a U.S. citizen you could get a secondary inspection.  If they find your U.S. passport then you are subject to arrest, indictment, conviction, sentence, and prison. 

With Lao immigration this would probably be settled with a cash gratuity handed off around a corner where there are no cameras.  Lao Immigration is notorious for picking through the fine details of US associated Lao travelers looking for discrepancies that "need settled".  Lao and former Lao citizens are wise to have their papers in order.  The land borders are far worse than the airports.   I have some "experience" with Lao Immigration myself and I know allot of former Lao refugees who have traveled back in more recent years and some who can never go back even to visit.  They have plenty to say about Lao Immigration.  Their advice would be to NOT have any discrepancies. 

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Thanks for the input guys.   I have asked many of the Lao I know here in the USA also but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer.  Both my husband and I have had many interactions with Lao immigration so we are not so concerned with that aspect.  The issue is my partner is fearful of losing his Lao passport.  Can those of you who have actually taken American citizenship chime in?  Especially those coming from countries that do not all dual citizenship.  Has anyone had direct experience with this issue?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 1/21/2023 at 3:33 PM, Iris1954 said:

Thanks for the input guys.   I have asked many of the Lao I know here in the USA also but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer.  Both my husband and I have had many interactions with Lao immigration so we are not so concerned with that aspect.  The issue is my partner is fearful of losing his Lao passport.  Can those of you who have actually taken American citizenship chime in?  Especially those coming from countries that do not all dual citizenship.  Has anyone had direct experience with this issue?

My country, Indonesia, is similar to Laos in that it doesn't allow dual citizenship. I don't have to inform the Indonesian embassy that I am now an American citizen and I can still use my Indonesian passport to travel. The complication arises when it comes to entering and leaving Indonesia. Indonesian immigration has, the majority of the time, asked me for my green card or USA visa when exiting. Now that I am a citizen I obviously have no green card to show, and that would give away that I am American. Laos may be similar in that if there is exit immigration checks, they will find out.

Some people I have known use a third country to try and avoid this. Such as leaving and entering Indonesia with an Indonesian passport but arriving/going to a visa free country, such as Singapore, before traveling onwards to the US with their US passport.

Edited by Areaze

The questions for you to think about:

1. Do you have any property in Laos?

2. Do you have business in Laos?

3. Are you about to inherit something in Laos?

4. Do you travel to countries visa free that Laos offers (US passport offers access to way more placea)

5. Is loss of citizenship automatic? Or even if you notify it takes time and will of officials to renounce your Laos citizenship?

6. Any penalty in law for dual citizenship?

I can see one obvious downside of losing Laos citizenship - on USA passport you will need visa to visit family and friends back in Laos.

If you have property, business or about to inherit something - losing Laos citizenship would be a downside.

Do you know for sure loss of citizenship occurs in practice and what does it take?

For example, I know some countries do not allow other citizenships, but involuntary loss is almost never enforced. Even when somebody notifies the government, they have go through lengthy procedure lasting several years and president of the country personally has to sign decree to take citizenship away, which happens to 1% of those who emigrated and naturalized elsewhere.

Another thing to remember, until you renounce or lose Laos citizenship, you will be their citizen. Even with US passport. You cannot ask US embassy to help you in that case if Laos detains you for example, or doesn't let leave the country.

This quote

"INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary renunciation of Laotian citizenship: Person voluntarily acquires a foreign citizenship, though persons in this situation should not assume Laotian citizenship would simply be lost by default."

suggests to me you will remain Laos citizen once you naturalize in the US until you undergo a special prodecure to document loss of citizenship in Laos.

Also, US would not tell Laos you naturalized. It's up to you to follow Laos laws and not to do anything illegal.

Edited by OldUser

On 2/4/2023 at 4:34 PM, Areaze said:

My country, Indonesia, is similar to Laos in that it doesn't allow dual citizenship. I don't have to inform the Indonesian embassy that I am now an American citizen and I can still use my Indonesian passport to travel. The complication arises when it comes to entering and leaving Indonesia. Indonesian immigration has, the majority of the time, asked me for my green card or USA visa when exiting. Now that I am a citizen I obviously have no green card to show, and that would give away that I am American. Laos may be similar in that if there is exit immigration checks, they will find out.

Some people I have known use a third country to try and avoid this. Such as leaving and entering Indonesia with an Indonesian passport but arriving/going to a visa free country, such as Singapore, before traveling onwards to the US with their US passport.

This is exactly what I am thinking.  He could fly into Thailand on his Lao passport and then cross by land into Laos.  I also think before his Laotian passport was about to expire he could travel back and request a new one to be issued.  

Another idea would be just to use his USA passport while going back and worth.  If he ever decided to live in Laos again I assume no one would put two and two together.

Thanks for your information. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.