Reed1812

Timing from N400 submission to Interview

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

OP already mentioned the vacation is only 1 week. 

Then why is the below the only other option? ..,,

22 minutes ago, Reed1812 said:

My only other option is hold off a couple of weeks before submission 

Isn’t the best option to file  until the day before leaving the USA?

I am utterly puzzled by this thread. 

Edited by Mike E

15 minutes ago, Mike E said:

What is there to be puzzled about?

I am about to submit my n400 and was asking a question on the likelihood of a clash and what I can do to mitigate it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I mean, their options are to file any time between now and the day they leave for vacation or wait until they return. 

The risk is minimal if they file before the vacation (and lessens with each day they wait) and there is no risk if they wait until after the vacation. 

The vacation is so short though that they would have to be both very lucky (get an interview letter within ~5 weeks of filing) and very unlucky (the interview just happens to fall within the 1 week they are unavailable). 

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

17 hours ago, Reed1812 said:

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas of rough timings from submission of n400 to interview? I am planning to submit my n400 in the coming days, but I already have a vacation planned in around 6 weeks. I am unable to move the vacation without considerable financial loss.

Should I hold off sending the N400?

Can the N400 interview be moved?

Thanks

My recollection is about a year

The issue is biometrics.  That’s gonna fall right in to your vacay window.

17 hours ago, OldUser said:

Interview in 6 weeks after N-400 submission is unlikely. 

Even biometric appointment in 6 weeks after submission is a small chance.

Either file now and accept the small risk of receiving biometrics, or file after vacation. 

Generally the process takes several months. You can check processing times here 

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Our bio in 2021 was about 6 weeks after we filed

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Reed1812 said:

Worst case if there was a clash, can it be moved?

My vote is to wait until you are closer to your trip, since it doesn't sound like you can cancel or postpone it in the event of a conflict.

I've read one thread today talking about how someone tried to reschedule their I-751 appointment, got a confirmation on the phone that the reschedule had occurred, and then USCIS denied their application because they didn't show up for the original appointment.  Is it worth the risk to have to start your naturalization process over again?

My wife went 3.5 years from when we started AOS to her naturalization (this was back before COVID).  In that time, she made one trip to Montreal with me just after we filed the AOS.  She purposely didn't want to leave the country "just in case" USCIS called an appointment on the spur of the moment.  (After she naturalized, she went home and spent several weeks with her family.)

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
23 hours ago, Reed1812 said:

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas of rough timings from submission of n400 to interview? I am planning to submit my n400 in the coming days, but I already have a vacation planned in around 6 weeks. I am unable to move the vacation without considerable financial loss.

Thanks

I know of someone who submitted her application in August and had her interview in October,it took 8 weeks, 6 weeks is unlikely.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Submitted my application for Houston on Jan 4, had NOA1 Jan 5, NOA for Biometrics was issued on the 6th, with the appointment on the 26th.  

Check the processing times for your local office on here and see what others have been experiencing.  I wouldn't think an interview would be quite that quick, but biometrics (if not waved) might be.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

I'm just concerned about your biometrics being scheduled in that week that you're gone if you file now (if it's not waived but you never know if it's going to be waived or not). If you're in no major rush, personally I would wait until like a week before your trip, file it, then enjoy your week long trip and not have to worry about your bio or interview being scheduled until after your trip is done. Yes, the risk of filing now and getting a biometrics or interview within 6 weeks is low but if you can't postpone or cut your trip short than Idk if that's a risk I would take. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Edited by MillerTime

On 1/19/2023 at 2:35 PM, Reed1812 said:

Hello,

Thanks

My interview was scheduled 7 months after submission

I-751 timeline:

• 12/04/2018: Mailed I-751 with divorce waiver
  • 12/19/2018: Received by USCIS
  • 5/02/2019: Biometrics appointment
  • 5/03/2019: Case updated to show Fingerprints were taken and applied to my case 
  • 1/28/2020: Received an RFE
  • 2/05/2020: Response To Request For Evidence Was Received by USCIS
  • 8/12/2020: Case received at my local office
  • 9/16/2020: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
  • 2/24/2021: Case scheduled for an interview
  • 4/06/2021: Interview done
  • 4/13/2022: Surprise Interview done at  my house
  • 12/08/2022: I-751 with divorce waiver APPROVED!
  • 12/21/2022: 10 yr Green Card Received.

N-400 timeline:

• 01/26/2022: Applied online and received by USCIS, Informed of Biometrics reuse
  • 06/17/2022: Interview scheduled
  • 08/04/2022: Interview done. Passed English and Civics test but no decision could be made due to my pending I-751
  • 06/08/2023: Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed
  • 06/22/2023: Oath Ceremony - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

On 1/20/2023 at 2:47 PM, mniceguy16 said:

I know of someone who submitted her application in August and had her interview in October,it took 8 weeks, 6 weeks is unlikely.

Mine only took 8 weeks too from submission of my n-400 to my scheduled interview. If it was me - I will wait until after the vacation to submit the application since it is only a week anyway. It gives me a piece of mind and helps me monitor the documents and respond quickly if and when problem arise. 

Edited by Dee76

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.