SMK 89

Pending I-751 and Passed by N-400 Interview - No Updates Still

21 posts in this topic

Had my N-400 interview last Tuesday -- agent got to the question where they asked if my removal of conditions was approved, I said "no???". He looked shocked and said "what?!" He then opened the big folder in front of him and said "oh i guess i have to do that too then. For that reason i cannot approve your n-400 today and just give you a receipt that you passed the interview but pending/undetermined at this time." 

He asked if i have anything else to give him for the i-751 (removal of conditions) and i said i brought our recent health insurance re-elections for 2023 showing and our daughter (born after we were married in the u.s.) is covered under my husband and some more recent mortgage/lease statements showing we are both still listed at same address/responsible for the payments monthly. This is in addition to a stackkkkkkkk of evidence submitted a year and a half ago when i originally submitted my i-751.

He sort of said something along the lines of, " Ii don't forsee there being an issue with your approval especially with this healthcare insurance stuff, mortgage/lease stuff, and a child together -- but i'll have to look through it -- hopefully I'll get to it sometime next week."

Well "next week" has now passed and not a single change in status -- i-751 still only shows finger prints reused from October, and the n-400 still just shows as interview was scheduled. 

HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH A PENDING I-751, GOING TO THE N-400 INTERVIEW, PASSING AND THEN THE OFFICER/AGENT SAYING THEY NEED TO REVIEW THE I-751 FILE BEFORE THEY CAN APPROVE THAT THEN APPROVE CITIZENSHIP IF THEY THINK YOU SHOULD BE APPROVED? HOW LONG DID YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR A CHANGE/UPDATE ONLINE? HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT BEFORE I SHOULD BE WORRIED/TRYING TO FOLLOW-UP? HAS ANYONE HAD TO FOLLOW-UP TO SEE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THEIR CASE IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS? IS IT VIA AN INFO PASS, OR DO WE USE OUR INBOX THING IN THE ONLINE PORTAL TO FOLLOW-UP?? IS THERE A DURATION OF TIME BEFORE MY N-400 INTERVIEW STATUS LIKE EXPIRES AND I HAVE TO RE-DO IT???

I knew i should of asked more questions when I was there but i was nervous to seem pushy ... but he just put my file on the back of his desk and my heart sank thinking that with the holidays around the corner my case is going to just get forgotten on the back of that desk. I was hopeful this morning and thinking maybe today i'll see updates, but no updates so now i feel like my hope of it happening for xmas is non-existent especially with this winter storm.

Any stories/guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait for this process to come to a close -- it's been emotionally draining for the last almost 3 years.... AS YOU ALL KNOW VERY WELL!!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I have seen other cases like yours.  Sometimes, they will just go ahead and approve the I-751 when they get all the files.  I'm sure that will happen for you.  I don't think they will call you back for another interview.

We had a combo interview about a week ago.  When we got home (about an hour after the interviews), the N-400 status had changed to "Oath will be scheduled".  The next day, the I-751 status changed from "case is ready to be scheduled for an interview" to "We approved your case....". 

I-751 took 44 months from filing to approval (NO RFEs).

N-400 took 4 months from filing to approval (NO RFEs).

I assume you did not get an email stating the interview would be a combo.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Back in 2018, my wife had her N400 interview with her I751 pending.  She was called to the N400 interview, I went with her, and the IO requested I come back as well and conducted a short combo interview and asked if we had any additional information to add to the package so we added updated tax filing copies.  My wife got the same slip about her N400, but a few days later we got the NOA of the I751 being approved, and the N400 “oath to be scheduled” message.  Of course many things have changed since 2018, but hopefully you will hear good news soon.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 12/23/2022 at 1:33 PM, SMK 89 said:

Had my N-400 interview last Tuesday -- agent got to the question where they asked if my removal of conditions was approved, I said "no???". He looked shocked and said "what?!" He then opened the big folder in front of him and said "oh i guess i have to do that too then. For that reason i cannot approve your n-400 today and just give you a receipt that you passed the interview but pending/undetermined at this time." 

He asked if i have anything else to give him for the i-751 (removal of conditions) and i said i brought our recent health insurance re-elections for 2023 showing and our daughter (born after we were married in the u.s.) is covered under my husband and some more recent mortgage/lease statements showing we are both still listed at same address/responsible for the payments monthly. This is in addition to a stackkkkkkkk of evidence submitted a year and a half ago when i originally submitted my i-751.

He sort of said something along the lines of, " Ii don't forsee there being an issue with your approval especially with this healthcare insurance stuff, mortgage/lease stuff, and a child together -- but i'll have to look through it -- hopefully I'll get to it sometime next week."

Well "next week" has now passed and not a single change in status -- i-751 still only shows finger prints reused from October, and the n-400 still just shows as interview was scheduled. 

HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH A PENDING I-751, GOING TO THE N-400 INTERVIEW, PASSING AND THEN THE OFFICER/AGENT SAYING THEY NEED TO REVIEW THE I-751 FILE BEFORE THEY CAN APPROVE THAT THEN APPROVE CITIZENSHIP IF THEY THINK YOU SHOULD BE APPROVED? HOW LONG DID YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR A CHANGE/UPDATE ONLINE? HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT BEFORE I SHOULD BE WORRIED/TRYING TO FOLLOW-UP? HAS ANYONE HAD TO FOLLOW-UP TO SEE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THEIR CASE IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS? IS IT VIA AN INFO PASS, OR DO WE USE OUR INBOX THING IN THE ONLINE PORTAL TO FOLLOW-UP?? IS THERE A DURATION OF TIME BEFORE MY N-400 INTERVIEW STATUS LIKE EXPIRES AND I HAVE TO RE-DO IT???

I knew i should of asked more questions when I was there but i was nervous to seem pushy ... but he just put my file on the back of his desk and my heart sank thinking that with the holidays around the corner my case is going to just get forgotten on the back of that desk. I was hopeful this morning and thinking maybe today i'll see updates, but no updates so now i feel like my hope of it happening for xmas is non-existent especially with this winter storm.

Any stories/guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait for this process to come to a close -- it's been emotionally draining for the last almost 3 years.... AS YOU ALL KNOW VERY WELL!!! 

We on the same boat. I’m getting frustrated 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
On 12/23/2022 at 10:33 AM, SMK 89 said:

Any stories/guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We had an n400/i751 combo interview last May, interview went well for us, it took Sacramento USCIS field office 3 weeks to approve our n400 and i751cases after the interview and then scheduled the oath ceremony for 6 weeks after the interview. See our timeline in signature below. In our case I am sure the case was reviewed by the IO's supervisor for approval which delayed approval for three weeks.

Hang in there, I am sure you will be approved soon once your evidence you submitted gets reviewed and the IO's supervisor reviews the case. 

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 8:52 PM, SHMG said:

We on the same boat. I’m getting frustrated 

any movement on your case?????? a month later on my end and no movement. I send a message in the online portal and got a pretty generic response. Can we ever get a hold of the person we interviewed with that clearly has our life in their hands?!!

On 12/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, Crazy Cat said:

I have seen other cases like yours.  Sometimes, they will just go ahead and approve the I-751 when they get all the files.  I'm sure that will happen for you.  I don't think they will call you back for another interview.

We had a combo interview about a week ago.  When we got home (about an hour after the interviews), the N-400 status had changed to "Oath will be scheduled".  The next day, the I-751 status changed from "case is ready to be scheduled for an interview" to "We approved your case....". 

I-751 took 44 months from filing to approval (NO RFEs).

N-400 took 4 months from filing to approval (NO RFEs).

I assume you did not get an email stating the interview would be a combo.

Happy for you both! It's been more than a month and still nothing. Have you seen others with this issue dragging out this long, any idea what they have done to help? Any advice on how to get in contact with someone that can help? He had my whole case file in front of him (I-751 included)...i sent a message on the online portal and got a generic response 5 days later. The worst part is he said he'd try to look at it the next week and now it's more than a month and nothing. I just don't know what to do or who to call when i know he has everything in my file sitting in his desk. What if i just get forgotten? I'm so lost...we did everything right. Our whole family thought that interview day was the for celebration and now we are in purgatory...

On 12/23/2022 at 10:33 AM, SMK 89 said:

Did you bring your spouse with you to the FO? Knowing that you had a pending I-751 I hope your spouse was there. Then the IO could have done a combo interview with you both since he had your I-751 file on hand. In my case, I had just my N-400 interview scheduled but nothing was mentioned about my pending I-751. I still brought my spouse with me anyways since I knew I had a pending I-751 on file. Had a combo interview with my husband and was approved for both on the spot.

If you did bring your spouse, perhaps the IO had a busy interviewing schedule that day and couldn't fit in your i-751 interview. Hopefully you aren't called in for a separate I-751 interview with your spouse and that the evidence you provided was sufficient enough so that the interview can be waived. Fingers crossed that your case hasn't fallen through the cracks! Good luck! I hope you hear back soon!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as well. Interviewed last week, but the officer didn't even have my A-file with them. She interviewed my husband and I together first for the pending I-751, but then couldn't approve me because my file wasn't there and now I wait. I contacted USCIS through the online chat and an officer said the file has been requested to be sent to Philly (where I'm from, go birds!) but isn't there yet. The online officer didn't know how long that would take.

So being a type A person, I sent an email to my congresswoman. Let's see what happens 😛 

• 8 months later...

Wondering when did you get your final N400 approval ? Did it take months ?

How long did it take before your cases were approved? I had the same thing happen to me, I showed up at my N-400 interview and was told I also had to interview for my i-751 which I did. They told me I was approved for both (even though my husband did not attend because I was not aware that it would be combo interview). I had my interview on August 11, 2023 and I have not heard anything since and it has now been 3 months. The officer interviewing me told me he did not have my paperwork for the i-751 on site so he could not stamp it for approval and had to wait for that paperwork. I have tried contacting UCSIS with no luck, they say I have to wait until March 2024 until I can ask about my case. 

On 2/16/2023 at 12:45 PM, phillyfiler13 said:

I'm in the same boat as well. Interviewed last week, but the officer didn't even have my A-file with them. She interviewed my husband and I together first for the pending I-751, but then couldn't approve me because my file wasn't there and now I wait. I contacted USCIS through the online chat and an officer said the file has been requested to be sent to Philly (where I'm from, go birds!) but isn't there yet. The online officer didn't know how long that would take.

So being a type A person, I sent an email to my congresswoman. Let's see what happens 😛 

Resolution for @phillyfiler13:

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 3:24 PM, AC360 said:

Wondering when did you get your final N400 approval ? Did it take months ?

Sadly, I heard nothing back for 2 MONTHS -- and i think it was because of what i started actively doing, not because it happened naturally on their process....see below. I knew something was off/wrong because a woman that interviewed the same day as me in Nashville (but with a different USCIS person) got her approval 2 days later (her and i had basically an identical case/immigration process except for the person that interviewed). So I started sending messages via that inbox feature (I never got a real response just a generic).

Finally on February 13, 2023 I was desperate and panicking since there was no traction and no real communication given to shed some clarity, so I went on the USCIS website and pushed through a case inquiry under the category "lost approval letter". I didn't know what else to do and it felt like my case was lost so I figured what could it hurt. Well, it turns out that those inquiries get sent to the field office you interviewed at because on February 14, 2023, i got a response to my inquiry which seems to have come from the field office i went to, saying that their records say I had been approved. I was shocked and said there is no way. Well, i logged in and there it was so that lady MUST have looked up my case and saw how long it was in limbo and just approved it or something because all that was too much of coincidence. And later that day my status in the system that I could check online also changed. SO -- my advice for anyone going in for their N-400 interview and still no green card and they dont approve both on the day of or within a month (for no good reason, i.e., you didn't have any complications in your case) is start sending formal inquiries -- not via that inbox portal in your My USCISC but where you process lost mail/etc inquiries. Wish I did it sooner and honestly i have no idea how much past February I would have been waiting if it didn't do what I did ---- 

On 11/16/2023 at 12:00 PM, Rebecca92 said:

How long did it take before your cases were approved? I had the same thing happen to me, I showed up at my N-400 interview and was told I also had to interview for my i-751 which I did. They told me I was approved for both (even though my husband did not attend because I was not aware that it would be combo interview). I had my interview on August 11, 2023 and I have not heard anything since and it has now been 3 months. The officer interviewing me told me he did not have my paperwork for the i-751 on site so he could not stamp it for approval and had to wait for that paperwork. I have tried contacting UCSIS with no luck, they say I have to wait until March 2024 until I can ask about my case. 

I just replied the below to someone else...try this and see if something happens....

Sadly, I heard nothing back for 2 MONTHS -- and i think once i finally heard back it was because of what i started actively doing, not because it happened naturally on their process side....see below. I knew something was off/wrong because a woman that interviewed the same day as me in Nashville (but with a different USCIS person) got her approval 2 days later (her and i had basically an identical case/immigration process except for the person that interviewed). So I started sending messages via that inbox feature (I never got a real response just a generic).

Finally on February 13, 2023 I was desperate and panicking since there was no traction and no real communication given to shed some clarity, so I went on the USCIS website and pushed through a case inquiry under the category "lost approval letter". I didn't know what else to do and it felt like my case was lost so I figured what could it hurt. Well, it turns out that those inquiries get sent to the field office you interviewed at because on February 14, 2023, i got a response to my inquiry which seems to have come from the field office i went to, saying that their records say I had been approved. I was shocked and said there is no way. Well, i logged in and there it was so that lady MUST have looked up my case and saw how long it was in limbo and just approved it or something because all that was too much of coincidence. And later that day my status in the system that I could check online also changed. SO -- my advice for anyone going in for their N-400 interview and still no green card and they dont approve both on the day of or within a month (for no good reason, i.e., you didn't have any complications in your case) is start sending formal inquiries -- not via that inbox portal in your My USCISC but where you process lost mail/etc inquiries. Wish I did it sooner and honestly i have no idea how much past February I would have been waiting if it didn't do what I did ---- 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I had my interview on October 25th, and I was given a "Decision can't be made" result even though an officer started my interview with going through I-751. There were no issues either, just them needing more time to review all my paperwork. It's very annoying but unfortunately it's common and the wait time differs depending on your local office and even depending on an officer. My status changed to approved/oath scheduled a week later. At the same time, I know a few other folks who passed I-751 + N-400 interviews at my local office, and they waited for 2,5 weeks and 4 weeks till status change. I think you'll hear from them within a month. 

Edited by Olga&Jared

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.