EstambulPR

GOT SSN AS B2 TOURIST, PROBLEMS WHEN FILING FOR CR-1?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION- OK sorry for the lenghty preamble but I have to set the assumptions first:

1. A foreigner with a B2 visa comes to USA and meets/falls in love with a US military veteran with full benefits (and SSDI);

2. Weeks/months later (well within the visa stamp time frame) they decide to marry, but the foreign spouse will not stay in the US or file for AOS since the foreigner has a life/family overseas AND the US Citizen is a part-time resident in that country as well. They will follow the rules and submit an I-130 via DCF (if possible) or via online AFTER they both return to her/his country;

3. US citizen tries to get foreign spouse a military dependent ID card to enroll her in TRICARE medical insurance and gets told at the ID Card office that the foreign spouse must have SSN or a letter from SSA denying it. The Veterans Administration says the same thing when US Citizen military veteran attempts to file for new dependent(s) benefits.

4. SSA (contrary to myths) will issue a SSA card/number (Type 3) which:

"...Shows your name and Social Security number with the restriction, "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT".

We issue it to people from other countries who:

• are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but have a valid non-work reason for needing a Social Security number; or
  • need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service."
  • https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm
  •  

So....the predicament is: If the SSA issues an actual SSN instead of a letter, should we refuse it since it could represent a problem of (erroneous, IMHO) perception?

Since the spouse has a lawful reason to obtain a SSN to secure her lawful benefits as the dependent of a military veteran, I cannot imagine USCIS/NVC questioning the couple's motives...but then again we are talking about bureaucrats. 

NOWHERE in US law is marriage while on x or y visa or under xx days prohibited. The prohibition (DOS/NVC) is on the 30/60/90 days for FILING a petition and/or adjusting status from inside the USA, correct?

I would appreciate your analysis. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, EstambulPR said:

should we refuse it since it could represent a problem of (erroneous, IMHO) perception?

What perception problem?

Anyway you cannot  refuse an SSN. Once issued you have to disclose it on any USCIS or State department form that asks for it.  

There is no 30/60/90  day rule. 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 hours ago, EstambulPR said:

HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION- OK sorry for the lenghty preamble but I have to set the assumptions first:

1. A foreigner with a B2 visa comes to USA and meets/falls in love with a US military veteran with full benefits (and SSDI);

2. Weeks/months later (well within the visa stamp time frame) they decide to marry, but the foreign spouse will not stay in the US or file for AOS since the foreigner has a life/family overseas AND the US Citizen is a part-time resident in that country as well. They will follow the rules and submit an I-130 via DCF (if possible) or via online AFTER they both return to her/his country;

3. US citizen tries to get foreign spouse a military dependent ID card to enroll her in TRICARE medical insurance and gets told at the ID Card office that the foreign spouse must have SSN or a letter from SSA denying it. The Veterans Administration says the same thing when US Citizen military veteran attempts to file for new dependent(s) benefits.

"...Shows your name and Social Security number with the restriction, "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT".

• are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but have a valid non-work reason for needing a Social Security number; or
  • need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service."
  •  

So....the predicament is: If the SSA issues an actual SSN instead of a letter, should we refuse it since it could represent a problem of (erroneous, IMHO) perception?

Since the spouse has a lawful reason to obtain a SSN to secure her lawful benefits as the dependent of a military veteran, I cannot imagine USCIS/NVC questioning the couple's motives...but then again we are talking about bureaucrats. 

NOWHERE in US law is marriage while on x or y visa or under xx days prohibited. The prohibition (DOS/NVC) is on the 30/60/90 days for FILING a petition and/or adjusting status from inside the USA, correct?

Authorized reason for non citizen non lpr to be issued a SSN. No  problems created and several issues avoided by having one ! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 hours ago, EstambulPR said:

I don't understand your concern.  What problem of perception?  There is not a reason, to my knowledge, to refuse an SSN. In fact, there are benefits in having one as soon as possible.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Mike E said:

What perception problem?

Anyway you cannot  refuse an SSN. Once issued you have to disclose it on any USCIS or State department form that asks for it.  

I think I am being paranoid after reading all the horror stories here. Maybe I was thinking it would seem as the foreign spouse was trying to jump the gun before returning to her country and waiting for sponsor to file I-130. Thanks!

Timeline
7 hours ago, Mike E said:

What perception problem?

I was referring to The commonly cited “90-day rule” in immigration-themed pages like this, I.e., filing for immigration or applying for any .gov benefit within certain amount of days of arrival to USA (unless on K-1, of course), could be interpreted as attempt to circumvent the system. Thanks.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Authorized reason for non citizen non lpr to be issued a SSN. No  problems created and several issues avoided by having one ! 

Yeah, I figured could even work to the foreign spouse’s benefit when applying for CR-1. Thanks!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, EstambulPR said:

I was referring to The commonly cited “90-day rule” in immigration-themed pages like this, I.e., filing for immigration or applying for any .gov benefit within certain amount of days of arrival to USA (unless on K-1, of course), could be interpreted as attempt to circumvent the system. Thanks.

There is no 90 day rule for USCIS.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

12 hours ago, EstambulPR said:

•  

You will have no issues from an immigration standpoint.  Those cards with that note are common, we had one like that as well.  A SS NUMBER is good forever, and you will automatically receive a new card without the note after your immigrant visa is approved and entry is processed.  There are many reasons to receive such a SS card, the main one being SS cards with the same restriction are issued to K1 visaholders to allow them to get married (some states require one).  They cannot use it for work but they can use it to enroll in health insurance, etc after they are married.

Best of luck!

Edited by iwannaplay54

Timeline
9 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

You will have no issues from an immigration standpoint.  Those cards with that note are common, we had one like that as well.  A SS NUMBER is good forever, and you will automatically receive a new card without the note after your immigrant visa is approved and entry is processed.  There are many reasons to receive such a SS card, the main one being SS cards with the same restriction are issued to K1 visaholders to allow them to get married (some states require one).  They cannot use it for work but they can use it to enroll in health insurance, etc after they are married.

Best of luck!

Amazing! Thanks! Yes, the concern is medical coverage while traveling and Veterans benefits for dependents. Super! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, EstambulPR said:

Yeah, I figured could even work to the foreign spouse’s benefit when applying for CR-1. Thanks!!

Makes no impact on filing for CR1 .. just one less thing to attend to after immigrating 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Makes no impact on filing for CR1 .. just one less thing to attend to after immigrating 

Good to know! Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, EstambulPR said:

Yeah, I figured could even work to the foreign spouse’s benefit when applying for CR-1.

An SSN will make no difference, good or bad, when applying for immigration benefits.  Many foreign students on F-1 student visas get SSNs for example, so that they can work on campus.  If they later go through the process of applying for an immigrant visa, having an SSN will not influence the IO's decision one way or the other.

Timeline
5 hours ago, carmel34 said:

An SSN will make no difference, good or bad, when applying for immigration benefits.  Many foreign students on F-1 student visas get SSNs for example, so that they can work on campus.  If they later go through the process of applying for an immigrant visa, having an SSN will not influence the IO's decision one way or the other.

10-4. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Is this really an hypothetical question? Seems you've attempted or are in the process of attempting. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.