KevNat

Came in to the U.S with IR2 Visa but received a green card instead of Certificate of Citizenship

9 posts in this topic

Hi, 

My biological daughter was born in Indonesia while I was a green card holder then I became a U.S citizen through Naturalization. My daughter came in to the U.S using IR 2 visa when she was 9-month-old but then received a 10-year green card instead of a Certificate of Citizenship. 

I heard that we can just apply for a U.S Passport as proof of Citizenship or apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. What is the best way? Please advise...

Thank you in advance

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Both would be my choice

you would not get a Certificate of Citizenship unless it was applied for 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Do it apply for an N-600 first because you kinky get one opportunity. 

Whereas  you can apply for a U.S. passport as often as you want.  

So use the process of applying for a U.S. passport (and passport card; at $35 it is cheap alternative  evidence of U.S. citizenship) as your dry run for N-600.  When you have the passport and passport card in hand, apply fir N-600 (online) using the same evidence. 

It is best to apply for N-600 as soon as you get the passport and passport card as the trail of evidence gets cold quickly and eventually tragically. If you wait too long she will never get to be a CIA secret agent.  

18 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Do it apply for an N-600 first because you kinky get one opportunity. 

Whereas  you can apply for a U.S. passport as often as you want.  

So use the process of applying for a U.S. passport (and passport card; at $35 it is cheap alternative  evidence of U.S. citizenship) as your dry run for N-600.  When you have the passport and passport card in hand, apply fir N-600 (online) using the same evidence. 

It is best to apply for N-600 as soon as you get the passport and passport card as the trail of evidence gets cold quickly and eventually tragically. If you wait too long she will never get to be a CIA secret agent.  

I read it well until that CIA word show up 🙈🙈🙈

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You can use your certificate of naturalization to apply for your child passport.  The N600 is optional but strongly recommended as some federal jobs may ask for it. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 11/28/2022 at 4:53 PM, KevNat said:

but then received a 10-year green card instead of a Certificate of Citizenship

She wasn't going to automatically get a certificate of citizenship. You'll have to actively apply and pay for it. But first get her the US passport.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2022 at 4:53 PM, KevNat said:

Hi, 

My biological daughter was born in Indonesia while I was a green card holder then I became a U.S citizen through Naturalization. My daughter came in to the U.S using IR 2 visa when she was 9-month-old but then received a 10-year green card instead of a Certificate of Citizenship. 

I heard that we can just apply for a U.S Passport as proof of Citizenship or apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. What is the best way? Please advise...

Thank you in advance

How long was the process from filing a new I130? I have the same situation i filed f2a with my minor daughter as deriv. Then i was naturalized last year petition upgraded to IR. And filed new i130 last October for my minor child.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.