dentsflogged

Removal of Conditions/Citizenship post divorce?

8 posts in this topic

So long story short - I divorced my husband for many reasons,  including that I hate living where he refused to move away from.

We applied for ROC last year. Divorced this year.

I'm eligible for Citizenship now.  

I know for sure I don't want to be married to him - he sucks as a husband. But I'm now wondering if it's worth it to move somewhere I DO like in order to wait it out for citizenship?

I don't know that I want to live here, I know short term I want to go home and be with my friends/family. But I put so much time and effort into my GC and ROC documents and I really loved my ex enough to move here for him so now I think... isn't it better to just do it? 

3 hours ago, dentsflogged said:

So long story short - I divorced my husband for many reasons,  including that I hate living where he refused to move away from.

I know for sure I don't want to be married to him - he sucks as a husband. But I'm now wondering if it's worth it to move somewhere I DO like in order to wait it out for citizenship?

I don't know that I want to live here, I know short term I want to go home and be with my friends/family. But I put so much time and effort into my GC and ROC documents and I really loved my ex enough to move here for him so now I think... isn't it better to just do it? 

If you apply for Roc last year, how are you eligible for citizenship now?

because for be eligible you need be resident for 5 years as you are divorced now.

for apply after 3 years as resident you need be married to the usc.

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

If you have a pending joint I-751, you cannot just apply for naturalization. You need to convert your I-751 to a petiton with a waiver. Or withdraw it and file new I-751 with a waiver.

Expect several years to naturalize, especially if you've been an LPR for less than 5 years.

2 hours ago, dentsflogged said:

Hello @dentsflogged ! Good to see you are weathering the OMG ..no Fairytale End In Sight rough seas of Divorce.

Per your old post , your romance / relationship was 6 years , married for 4 years and you filed a Joint I-751 in 2021. 

Since your 2022 Divorce is final, you just need to send in a copy of Divorce Decree/Judgement and request to Amend from Joint to Divorce Waiver…that I-751will convert and you will be fine even if the6 schedule an interview, only you will need to attend.

As @Timona recommended, you will need to wait until you have 5 years since LPR to file the N-400..so do a quick update to your post with following:

1. When did you become LPR?

**Five years from that date you can do N-400

2. When did you file Joint I-751? ( yes I realize yr is 2021)
**Assuming here your divorce finalized Oct 2022. Send in request to amend yet?

19 hours ago, dentsflogged said:

I mean, based on your past post histoty, you're not that far from applying under the five year rule for citizenship. So I'd advise naturalizing, that way you can come and go from the US as you please. You never know what will happen down the line and if you end up falling in love with someone else in the US you won't have to be re-petition and go through ROC -again-.

I would suggest seeing if you can find somewhere in the US you do like and try and start afresh. One wonderful thing about this country is that there's no shortage of cool places and cities/states that suit many tastes.

First and foremost. Update your I-751 to divorce wavier as you won't want it approved on USCIS's assumption you're still married.

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.