drussell024

Reaching out to congressman

18 posts in this topic

June 8th 2021 filer. Current processing time for the I129-F is 13.5 months with the case inquiry being available at the 15 month mark. Currently we are apart of the less than 15% of cases untouched for June 2021 filers.

We submitted a case inquiry this month and got what appeared to be an automated response back via email that our case is being adjudicated and we will receive a response within 45 days. 

My question is this - should we reach out to my congressman or wait the full 45 days? If that email actually is just a generic response and there's a chance we won't receive any word back within that time frame then I think we should contact my congressman sooner rather than later instead of waiting until around the 16/17th month mark. 

Has anyone gone through this and have any recommendations?

Edited by drussell024

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
15 minutes ago, drussell024 said:

June 8th 2021 filer. Current processing time for the I129-F is 13.5 months with the case inquiry being available at the 15 month mark. Currently we are apart of the less than 15% of cases untouched for June 2021 filers.

We submitted a case inquiry this month and got what appeared to be an automated response back via email that our case is being adjudicated and we will receive a response within 45 days. 

My question is this - should we reach out to my congressman or wait the full 45 days? If that email actually is just a generic response and there's a chance we won't receive any word back within that time frame then I think we should contact my congressman sooner rather than later instead of waiting until around the 16/17th month mark. 

Has anyone gone through this and have any recommendations?

I would go ahead and reach out. The current processing times are unacceptable in a world where most transactions take seconds. The more of us speak up to our community leaders to pay attention to their constituents at home rather than someone half a world away, the more likely something positive is to happen.

P.S. I've contacted two of my representatives myself. One has ignored the request and the other one provided a rather canned letter. But I'm not giving up.

Edited by Lynxyonok

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What are you looking to happen?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I would say it's definitely worth it, if anything, to make yourself feel better. I submitted an inquiry to my Senator in February after doing to the same to another Senator in November (the first time we were out of expected processing). We got approved the following Monday.

That being said, did my Senator do anything? Probably not - the inquiry might've not even been placed, I think I submitted it Thursday or Friday. But I still feel like it did something, and that alone was a comforting feeling. Again, your representative cannot move your case in any way, but they're allowed to congressionally inquire at any point once you're overdue and will typically get a clearer answer from USCIS. As @Lynxyonok has also said, perhaps someone working for the representative will take note of a flood of I-129F inquiries and incorporate it into their immigration platform. Wishful thinking, perhaps, but this was personally the second time me contacting a political official has had 'mysterious' results and I'm certainly a believer in taking advantage of our democratic processes.

Edited by slavaskii

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

here's the 33 page refresher  guide to congress from USCIS on how to submit an inquiry which include topics like

• Understand which documents should be sent to support congressional inquiries; and
  •  Know how to ensure that your inquiries receive meaningful responses.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/Congressional-Inquiries-Refresher.pdf

Edited by JeanneAdil

We reached out to our Senator,  his office has been very nice, but no action. We are a 5/18/21 case waiting for NOA2. We've filed inquiries, went past the 30  days waiting for a response,  called and asked our sen to call again. We were told our case is being adjudicated (since July), but clearly it hasnt been touched. It should be a simple case for review if and when they ever decitlde to look at it.  There are about 10 cases around our same date that haven't been worked. The lack of accountability at USCIS is mind boggling. I did just file a complaint with the Ombudsman, but their site makes it.clear thst.you shouldnt expect action. The folks here have been very kind and shared similiar horror stories. We just keep waiting. Hoping you and your f have better luck!

Edited by JamieCO1

1 minute ago, JamieCO1 said:

his office has been very nice, but no action.

Not sure what 'action' you're expecting, but your US senator/congressperson cannot impact USCIS/DOS decisions in any way, or speed them up.  They can merely inquire on your behalf.

I really appreciate everyone's input and information, this forum has been invaluable to us. 

I ended up reaching out to my congressman. There was a simple privacy release form to fill out and email to their office so it was fairly simple.

Will any sort of inquiry from my congressman help us receive a response? Maybe not. But at least I feel like we're doing everything we can and putting our best foot forward. Maybe it will help bring a small additional measure of awareness to the wait times we have all suffered and endured. Maybe it will just give us peace of mind knowing that we are trying everything we can. 

Coming up on 16 months waiting for a response is hard. To anyone else in a similar situation, or others in much worse situations, I guess all I can say is that reaching out to my congressman at least made us feel better. If nothing else, I suppose that in of itself is worth it. 

On 9/22/2022 at 9:15 PM, Boiler said:

What are you looking to happen?

My Congressman but forth a bill to stop the K1 visa after the lady came here

His name was Sam Johnson from Texas

U.S. Visa Process Missed San Bernardino Wife’s Online Zealotry - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

He put forth a bill to suspend K1's

K-1 Visa Program Suspension Act of 2015

Sam Johnson | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Edited by Palawan

I received a response back from my congressman's office this morning about inquiring, and late afternoon received our NOA2 approval. 

This could absolutely be a coincidence since correlation is not necessarily causation. I did have the online inquiry and perhaps we were just at our time? 

Either way, those more informed can extrapolate on whether or not this had an effect or was simply a lucky coincidence. 

Edited by drussell024

1 hour ago, drussell024 said:

I received a response back from my congressman's office this morning about inquiring, and late afternoon received our NOA2 approval. 

This could absolutely be a coincidence since correlation is not necessarily causation. I did have the online inquiry and perhaps we were just at our time? 

Either way, those more informed can extrapolate on whether or not this had an effect or was simply a lucky coincidence. 

My husband reached out to his Senator for an interview date as we were past processing times and I know the embassy do very few immigrant visas per month.  I contacted the embassy and they informed me that they are understaffed, and might have more interviews in November.

We reached out to the Senator on the Thursday, filled out the forms, and on the Friday their office replied that they will "work tirelessly on our behalf". The Monday we got the interview letter, we were flabbergasted because the email came through on Labor Day (we did not expect anything on a holiday). The interview was scheduled for October! 

Another person that was waiting with me also got her interview letter on the same day. So yeah, maybe it was also a "coincidence"  but I like to think the senator had something to do with it. 

• 1 month later...

I contacted my congressman and his office was very helpful. they sent a link to a Privacy Act Release for use with USCIS inquiries. I completed that and returned it. They have written to USCIS; we anticipate 4-6 weeks for a reply. It might get them off their duff and have them decide the petition. It is worthwhile. It would also be good if you plan to file in Court for Mandamus against USCIS to show that you have exhausted all other potential remedies. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
19 minutes ago, usaman1999 said:

It would also be good if you plan to file in Court for Mandamus against USCIS to show that you have exhausted all other potential remedies. 

A WOM will cost several thousand dollars, and it does not guarantee a positive outcome.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.