Kitta&Owen

Filing I-751 without a copy of expired green card

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! 

Hope all is well. I would appreciate any help/advice I can get as we are STILL going through the headache of getting a green card for my husband. 

We are currently starting the process of filing an I-751 for my husband but we do not have a copy of his green card as he never received it. How should we go about this since they require the copy?

Backstory: We were approved for the 2 year green card but it was lost in mail and was destroyed so we never received it. We went through the process of filing for a replacement card and have been waiting for almost 2 years and it still shows its in process- but it will be expired before we even get it, so that is why we are filing for I-751.

I know I am probably not using correct terminology, but I hope it all makes sense. I would really appreciate any advice at all! Thank you guys :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Kitta&Owen said:

Backstory: We were approved for the 2 year green card but it was lost in mail and was destroyed so we never received it. We went through the process of filing for a replacement card and have been waiting for almost 2 years and it still shows its in process- but it will be expired before we even get it, so that is why we are filing for I-751.

You are a conditional legal permanent resident, you are REQUIRED to file to remove the conditions on your LPR. You are not renewing a green card, you are removing the conditions on your green card. If you do not file an i751 within 90 days of the second anniversary of the start of the LPR (the date AOS was approved or the date you enter the USA on a CR1 visa) you will lose your LPR status eventually.

File the i751 even if you don’t have the physical green card do not delay.

If you don't have the replacement green card in hand I would submit a copy of your i90 receipt notice assuming you file for your replacement green card, a copy of your AOS approval (if you got GC in the USA) or a copy of your CRI visa with proof of your entry date (if you got green card when entering USA).

Explain the situation in your cover letter when you file your i751. 

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, da95826 said:

Problem is, they never received the card. As such, they don't even know the date it was printed..but I guess since they got the notice of approval, the can eyeball using the "month." 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Timona said:

Problem is, they never received the card. As such, they don't even know the date it was printed..but I guess since they got the notice of approval, the can eyeball using the "month." 

As the timeline states the entry into to US on Cr1 visa.. the “date” on the GC of LPR since would be the entry date 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
2 hours ago, Kitta&Owen said:

Hi everyone! 

Hope all is well. I would appreciate any help/advice I can get as we are STILL going through the headache of getting a green card for my husband. 

We are currently starting the process of filing an I-751 for my husband but we do not have a copy of his green card as he never received it. How should we go about this since they require the copy?

I know I am probably not using correct terminology, but I hope it all makes sense. I would really appreciate any advice at all! Thank you guys :)

I would just file-as long as you have the A-number you can complete the paperwork.  I would put a short letter on top outlining the info provided and state there that the green card was never received.  They can verify in their own records that the green card was never received. It could even help if that reviewer sees it’s been hung up a long time to move it to being produced.

3 hours ago, da95826 said:

You are a conditional legal permanent resident, you are REQUIRED to file to remove the conditions on your LPR. You are not renewing a green card, you are removing the conditions on your green card. If you do not file an i751 within 90 days of the second anniversary of the start of the LPR (the date AOS was approved or the date you enter the USA on a CR1 visa) you will lose your LPR status eventually.

File the i751 even if you don’t have the physical green card do not delay.

If you don't have the replacement green card in hand I would submit a copy of your i90 receipt notice assuming you file for your replacement green card, a copy of your AOS approval (if you got GC in the USA) or a copy of your CRI visa with proof of your entry date (if you got green card when entering USA).

Explain the situation in your cover letter when you file your i751. 

Thank you for the advice!

1 hour ago, bakphx1 said:

I would just file-as long as you have the A-number you can complete the paperwork.  I would put a short letter on top outlining the info provided and state there that the green card was never received.  They can verify in their own records that the green card was never received. It could even help if that reviewer sees it’s been hung up a long time to move it to being produced.

Thank you! When we spoke to someone at USCIS - they stated the wait time for a GC is 2 years, I hope this isn't true :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Kitta&Owen said:

We do have the I-551 stamp as well but that is expired now.

Call USCIS again and say "infopass."  When you get a real person, set an appointment for your closest USCIS regional office, to go in and get a new I-551 stamp to show that LPR status continues with I-90 and I-751 pending.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, Kitta&Owen said:

Yes, we filed the I-90 and we still have not received the replacement card after over a year. We do have the I-551 stamp as well but that is expired now.

Send a copy of the I-90 receipt, the I-551 stamp, and the stamp / visa from the original point of entry on the immigration visa. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Between this and last years trip from Mexico, someone doesn’t want your husband to ever get his green card. I’m dreading how your husband’s N400 application goes. 

good luck

Lover and hubby to 1, Daddy to 2. I do enjoy growing older but not growing up.

A filthy, dirty oilfield engineer.

N400 through marriage to another filthy dirty oilfield engineer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.