roughlyworried

Please help. Unable to meet sponsorship requirements: what’s my options? [merged threads]

60 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hello,

So long story short, I’m only 20 and have made very little income up until this last year (2022), and even that income is hard to prove since it was from day trading crypto. I’m having trouble finding a joint sponsor who will commit for me. Anyways, I do have a significant amount of cash and properties in trust for me from my family. If I were to have them transfer ownership of such assets (CDs, bank accounts, properties, and so on) to me, how much value would I need? I know atleast one house I would get is worth around $150k, and in addition I could get cash. How much would I need? I saw somewhere it says 5 times the amount of missing income. Would that mean 5x~$25k since I would report no income?

Also, would they even be likely to accept it, especially if it was just transferred to my name?

Thanks.

Edited by TBoneTX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Kyl123 said:

Hello,

So long story short, I’m only 20 and have made very little income up until this last year (2022), and even that income is hard to prove since it was from day trading crypto. I’m having trouble finding a joint sponsor who will commit for me. Anyways, I do have a significant amount of cash and properties in trust for me from my family. If I were to have them transfer ownership of such assets (CDs, bank accounts, properties, and so on) to me, how much value would I need? I know atleast one house I would get is worth around $150k, and in addition I could get cash. How much would I need? I saw somewhere it says 5 times the amount of missing income. Would that mean 5x~$25k since I would report no income?

Also, would they even be likely to accept it, especially if it was just transferred to my name?

Thanks. 

They want to see assets in your name for longer than 12 months   Assets must be more than 3 times the minimum required level and able to be transferred  into cash assets within 12 months. 

My take .. get a joint sponsor .. or a steady income producing job 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

They want to see assets in your name for longer than 12 months   Assets must be more than 3 times the minimum required level and able to be transferred  into cash assets within 12 months. 

I agree that the safest option is above, theoretically you should be fine but it is a judgement call.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

33 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I agree that the safest option is above, theoretically you should be fine but it is a judgement call.

Ahh, sadly it would be in my name for only a few months. However I could get way over the minimum. I’m having trouble finding a family member to do it, and the only ones ready and willing are in their 80s…though they are very well qualified.

Timeline

Furthermore, could I prove the house was previously in trust for me by family but was transferred early? It’s paid off. Also bank accounts with large sums of money. If transferred to me, could I prove it was inheritance and therefore able to be listed before the 12 month period of ownership?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Kyl123 said:

Furthermore, could I prove the house was previously in trust for me by family but was transferred early? It’s paid off. Also bank accounts with large sums of money. If transferred to me, could I prove it was inheritance and therefore able to be listed before the 12 month period of ownership?

It would work to transfer cash to your account if you can provide clear evidence it is an inheritance instead of a loan.  Cash is liquid, but real estate is more problematic because you must provide evidence of it's worth and evidence of your equity (or that it's paid off).  If you have enough cash, you can ignore the real estate for purposes of the I-864.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, Kyl123 said:

Ahh, sadly it would be in my name for only a few months. However I could get way over the minimum. I’m having trouble finding a family member to do it, and the only ones ready and willing are in their 80s…though they are very well qualified.

I’d get these people to co-sponsor if they are willing.

I used assets but still sent my wife in with paperwork for co-sponsors just in case.

Timeline
5 hours ago, pushbrk said:

It would work to transfer cash to your account if you can provide clear evidence it is an inheritance instead of a loan.  Cash is liquid, but real estate is more problematic because you must provide evidence of it's worth and evidence of your equity (or that it's paid off).  If you have enough cash, you can ignore the real estate for purposes of the I-864.

Ok, thank you. I can’t seem to find an answer to this on the guides, but what are some clear evidences they will accept that it was inheritance? I’m hoping to not get a RFE first time around.

5 hours ago, D-R-J said:

I’d get these people to co-sponsor if they are willing.

I used assets but still sent my wife in with paperwork for co-sponsors just in case.

They are way to old sadly. Also, I can try to use a family member as a joint sponsor that is younger, but i don’t fully trust that family member (his wife) and have this fear that they will try to sabotage something.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Kyl123 said:

Ok, thank you. I can’t seem to find an answer to this on the guides, but what are some clear evidences they will accept that it was inheritance? I’m hoping to not get a RFE first time around.

The answer isn't in the guides.  It's in the I-864 instructions.

What evidence do you already have to show this is an inheritance?  A will, or the terms of the trust that says it's a trust from an inheritance will do nicely.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
26 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The answer isn't in the guides.  It's in the I-864 instructions.

What evidence do you already have to show this is an inheritance?  A will, or the terms of the trust that says it's a trust from an inheritance will do nicely.

Yes, they have a trust set up for me. 

also in regards to MY income if I’m able to find a joint sponsor, it is free lance income from crypto, so that’ll be very hard to prove or understand. My question is, when I go to my income, should I just put 0 even though I do make an income but don’t want to use that to sponsor? In addition, when it comes to my wife’s interview at the consulate and they ask her what my job is, and she states crypto, would they have an issue seeing the I-864 reporting my income as 0?

Many thanks.

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Kyl123 said:

Yes, they have a trust set up for me. 

also in regards to MY income if I’m able to find a joint sponsor, it is free lance income from crypto, so that’ll be very hard to prove or understand. My question is, when I go to my income, should I just put 0 even though I do make an income but don’t want to use that to sponsor? In addition, when it comes to my wife’s interview at the consulate and they ask her what my job is, and she states crypto, would they have an issue seeing the I-864 reporting my income as 0?

Many thanks.

The self employed show their income with a tax return, so it is not difficult at all.  Your "current income" comes from the line called "total income" on your tax return.  If you earn enough income to be required to file a tax return, then you file a tax return and tell the truth.  There is always an issue when you lie and cheat, so yes.  You have the assets, and there are legal documents that show they are yours.  If you dissolve the trust and take the assets out of the trust, there will be a legal paper trail on that, to use as evidence.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
14 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The self employed show their income with a tax return, so it is not difficult at all.  Your "current income" comes from the line called "total income" on your tax return.  If you earn enough income to be required to file a tax return, then you file a tax return and tell the truth.  There is always an issue when you lie and cheat, so yes.  You have the assets, and there are legal documents that show they are yours.  If you dissolve the trust and take the assets out of the trust, there will be a legal paper trail on that, to use as evidence.

Understood. I did plan on putting my 2021 tax return. I mean in reference to the 2022 tax year though as I won’t have a tax record when we file at the NVC. But they want proof of income for all of 2022 no? Proving that with bank statements/crypto as a self employed freelancer…it’s all comingled with personal bank accounts.

Edited by Kyl123

Timeline
40 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Sorry for another post, but I had also seen somewhere that you need to be self employed for 1 year to use it? I’ve only been “self employed” since March 2022.

It will be reported on 2023 tax returns, but like I said earlier until then I have little to no evidence of that income (and all my income is paid in crypto) . Also between 2022 would be when we filed to NVC and 2023 would be for the interview. Which is why I’m asking if it’s REQUIRED I put all income, since if I even try to explain all this to them, I feel like it may get an RFE whereas if I list my income as 0 for 2022, but use my joint sponsor then it would be less likely. However like I noted previously, this could conflict when my wife goes to her interview and they ask what my job is (by that time I’ll have a part time job though). 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 hours ago, Kyl123 said:

They are way to old sadly

Is there   a law that says a sponsor has to be below a certain age?

Timeline
5 hours ago, Kyl123 said:

Understood. I did plan on putting my 2021 tax return. I mean in reference to the 2022 tax year though as I won’t have a tax record when we file at the NVC. But they want proof of income for all of 2022 no? Proving that with bank statements/crypto as a self employed freelancer…it’s all comingled with personal bank accounts.

Proof on income for 2022 cannot be done with bank statements.  It must be with a tax return.  You are self employed as a trader.  Your current income comes from your latest tax return.  Believe it.  Own it.  Nothing to argue here.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Is there   a law that says a sponsor has to be below a certain age?

No.  It's a judgment call. An elderly sponsor is not so likely to be around to meet the obligations of the contract.  Have you READ the I-864?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.