EllisAndRenz

Adventure in travel to Philippines

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As is the case with everything we do, my wife's trip back to Manila has become an adventure.

First: The flight was delayed out of Orlando, and for whatever reason they put her on the next day's flight.  Then her overweight bag (Filipinas bring home tons of stuff for the family) flew off to LAX without her.  (Where, as far as I can tell, it still sits).

The next day her flight was delayed by 5 hours again, causing her to miss her connection with Asiana Airlines.  American rebooked her on Philippine air out of SFO.  She got to LAX, and shuttled her to SFO.  After a 6 hour wait she went to board.  

Unlike Asiana Airlines, Philippine Airlines wouldn't accept her passport in her maiden name and denied her booking.  (Why the Philippine flag carrier wouldn't take one of their own citizens home blows my mind).  After I had a yelling match with a really annoying AA call center agent who insisted on talking over me and treating me like an idiot, I got another agent who was very helpful.  He rebooked her on Asiana thru Seoul, but it was another 5 hour wait in SFO, and then a 16 hour layover in Inchon.  She got to Inchon and all the in-terminal hotels were booked.  (She couldn't leave without a Korea visa).  All of the showers were closed due to COVID.(A bit insane)  She found a nap room and slept a bit.  

As of an hour ago, she FINALLY boarded her flight to Manila.  She's exhausted (as am I).  

Now I worry about her coming home.  Her ticket is in her married name (as is her green card).  Her passport is in her maiden name.  I'm hoping that's good enough for the USA trip back.

Buying a ticket is under your control.  Why would you book it under her married name if she has no passport to match?  Maybe I missed a thread earlier about your plans.  I know everyone here would have counseled you to make sure to use the the name on the passport.  The difference between the names on her passport and Green Card are handled here at US Immigration with a marriage certificate.  The controlling document everywhere else is the passport and the name there. 

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

Timeline
Just now, Talako said:

Buying a ticket is under your control.  Why would you book it under her married name if she has no passport to match?  Maybe I missed a thread earlier about your plans.  I know everyone here would have counseled you to make sure to use the the name on the passport.  The difference between the names between her passport and Green Card are handled here at US Immigration with a marriage certificate.  The controlling document everywhere else is the passport and the name there. 

Well, the airline asked for her name, which her green card was in.  (Was worried about her re-entry).  Then the airline asked for the passport, and I entered her maiden name in that field.  They checked at the airport and she was fine.  (Other than Philippine air)

I'm reading if she has her marriage certificate, she should be OK.  

Otherwise I'll see if she can update her passport while in Manila.

Timeline
1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

100% correct 

I did find this, so with her marriage cert, she should be OK, yes?

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1209?language=en_US

Just now, EllisAndRenz said:

Please understand that it’s okay and completely fine for US immigration (CBP) side of things. However, It will cause issues with the airlines as it did with Philippine airlines. They were correct in giving you hard time about it. If changing her passport is too much hassle as can be in some countries, your best bet is to call the airline and change the name in the booking to her maiden name to avoid any more unpleasant interactions.

Timeline
Just now, powerpuff said:

Please understand that it’s okay and completely fine for US immigration (CBP) side of things. However, It will cause issues with the airlines as it did with Philippine airlines. They were correct in giving you hard time about it. If changing her passport is too much hassle as can be in some countries, your best bet is to call the airline and change the name in the booking to her maiden name to avoid any more unpleasant interactions.

Thanks.  Had they not had a separate section during booking for "Passport name", I'd have booked in the maiden name.  

There are times when old fashioned travel agents would be helpful.  

1 minute ago, EllisAndRenz said:

As you are finding out, immigration, airlines, and other countries all have their own rules, and they may be incongruent with each other.

Finally done.

40 minutes ago, EllisAndRenz said:

I predict she will have a very difficult time getting out of the Philippines 

I would call and try to get her name changed on the return flight to match her current passport.

Or try to renew passport in the Philippines which could be a major hassel and take alot of time

Or just buy a new ticket with current passport name, and deal with refund or flight credit afterwards

What airline is she taking to leave Philippines?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Palawan said:

I predict she will have a very difficult time getting out of the Philippines 

I would call and try to get her name changed on the return flight to match her current passport.

Or try to renew passport in the Philippines which could be a major hassel and take alot of time

Or just buy a new ticket with current passport name, and deal with refund or flight credit afterwards

What airline is she taking to leave Philippines?

She's coming home on the same airline that took her there.  Asiana.  Changing to AA in LAX.

1 minute ago, EllisAndRenz said:

She's coming home on the same airline that took her there.  Asiana.  Changing to AA in LAX.

I would get hold of a supervisor for Asiana and have them change her ticket to her passport name, to avoid any hassel or issues when she tries to leave the Philippines.    Don't worry I am sure she isn't the first person to forget to match her ticket to her passport.

I predict she will have issues getting out of there unless ticket name and passport name match.

Or worse comes to worse you can roll the bones and she if she get outs, if not she can buy a ticket but same day or almost same weeks flight tickets are about 3 to 5 times more expensive out of Philippines.

Next time I suggest flying one carrier like Delta, at least if you miss a flight they will take care of the rebooking all the way to Philippines.  Delta is travel partner with Korean Air. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Palawan said:

I would get hold of a supervisor for Asiana and have them change her ticket to her passport name, to avoid any hassel or issues when she tries to leave the Philippines.    Don't worry I am sure she isn't the first person to forget to match her ticket to her passport.

I predict she will have issues getting out of there unless ticket name and passport name match.

Or worse comes to worse you can roll the bones and she if she get outs, if not she can buy a ticket but same day or almost same weeks flight tickets are about 3 to 5 times more expensive out of Philippines.

Next time I suggest flying one carrier like Delta, at least if you miss a flight they will take care of the rebooking all the way to Philippines.  Delta is travel partner with Korean Air. 

I suspect you are correct.  I'm waiting for her to land to find out if she has her marriage certificate.  I have a copy of it with me, so I'll endeavor to get the name changed.  

We did look at Delta, but they were quite literally, double the price.  Aside from that unbearably rude agent at American, they were insanely great with getting her rebooked and getting her there.  If I had to complain about one thing, it's her bag.  I told them so many times before she got to LAX to try and get her bag back with her flights.  All they kept parroting was "File a missing bag report upon arrival".  Zero effort to avoid that.  God only knows how long it will take them to get her back from LAX to Manila and her hotel.  

Edited by EllisAndRenz

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Worry not about the bag..You're entitled to $3800, if I remember correctly. So, if it even gets delayed by a day or better 3 days, I believe you get $3800. A delay for a day is $500, I think. And when they finally find the bag, they'll give it to you too. 

Google DoT rules on this. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.