MeG@Am

RFE: Bona fide intent to marry.

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello!

I received the RFE letter today and we were asked for more supporting doc that we intent to marry.

When I sent our intent to marry letter, my fiancé signed the form and scanned it.  I also signed on the same paper.

My question is, does USCIS accept scanned signed letter or do they really need the actual letter with his signature?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

They accept a scanned letter. The original lette 

8 minutes ago, MeG@Am said:

Hello!

I received the RFE letter today and we were asked for more supporting doc that we intent to marry.

When I sent our intent to marry letter, my fiancé signed the form and scanned it.  I also signed on the same paper.

My question is, does USCIS accept scanned signed letter or do they really need the actual letter with his signature?

Thank you!

They accept a scanned letter. The original letter should have been signed with a wet signature. 

Afaik most couples sign separate letters. 

What did your letter say?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Scanned documents are fine.

Perhaps the issue is that the letter needs to specifically state the names of both persons:  I, John Doe, intend to marry Jane Smith within 90 days of arriving with a K1 visa.  I, Jane Smith, intend to marry John Doe within 90 days of him arriving on a K1 visa.

Edited by SteveInBostonI130

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Mike E said:

They accept a scanned letter. The original lette 

They accept a scanned letter. The original letter should have been signed with a wet signature. 

Afaik most couples sign separate letters. 

What did your letter say?

I, (applicant), do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry (beneficial), and intends to do so within 90 days of his arrival into the US using the K-1 visa.  

Then we both signed below.

I googled this letter. 

Do you think that is not sufficient enough?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Seems like they want 2 separate letters, one form you and one from the beneficiary 

That's what I thought too.  That's what I'll do then.  It's good to know that scanned letter is OK.

Thank you all for the help/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
56 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Seems like they want 2 separate letters, one form you and one from the beneficiary 

i saw again the requirement. Yes it should be "BOTH" to provide the form and they already provide the form that we need to fill up with the name as well..

14 minutes ago, desi ratnasari said:

i saw again the requirement. Yes it should be "BOTH" to provide the form and they already provide the form that we need to fill up with the name as well..

The statement of intent to marry is not a form.  It's just a letter.  No standard format.  Based on the RFE that OP got, it seems the petitioner and beneficiary must each sign and submit a separate letter.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Chancy said:

The statement of intent to marry is not a form.  It's just a letter.  No standard format.  Based on the RFE that OP got, it seems the petitioner and beneficiary must each sign and submit a separate letter.

do you mean it should be provide of 2 separate letter and signed by both of petitioner and beneficiary ?

41 minutes ago, desi ratnasari said:

do you mean it should be provide of 2 separate letter and signed by both of petitioner and beneficiary ?

2 separate letters.  One signed by the petitioner, the other signed by the beneficiary.

Timeline
10 hours ago, MeG@Am said:

I, (applicant), do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry (beneficial), and intends to do so within 90 days of his arrival into the US using the K-1 visa.  

Then we both signed below.

I googled this letter. 

Do you think that is not sufficient enough?

Definitely not enough. 

There needs to be something that says 

“I, (beneficiary ), do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry (applicant), and intends to do so within 90 days of my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa”

I would redo all this as separate letters.  The format in https://www.visajourney.com/examples/Fiance_Letter_of_Intent.doc is known to work. 

Are you following the visajourney guide for K-1?

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Definitely not enough. 

There needs to be something that says 

“I, (beneficiary ), do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry (applicant), and intends to do so within 90 days of my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa”

I would redo all this as separate letters.  The format in https://www.visajourney.com/examples/Fiance_Letter_of_Intent.doc is known to work. 

Are you following the visajourney guide for K-1?

Thank you!  

Regarding the guide, where can I see the guide?

Also, I wonder if USCIS needs the letter in my fiancé's mother tongue (Arabic) or is it OK in English?

Thank you!

Timeline
46 minutes ago, MeG@Am said:

Thank you!  

Regarding the guide, where can I see the guide?

46 minutes ago, MeG@Am said: 

Also, I wonder if USCIS needs the letter in my fiancé's mother tongue (Arabic) or is it OK in English?

Thank you!

if you fiancé can read English the. The letter can be in English. If the letter is in Arabic then a certified translation is required. 

Timeline

We each wrote short letters from our own perspectives about how we met, brief overview of our relationship and visits, meeting each other's family,  etc., and at the end of the letter is where we included the statement of intent to marry (using both our full names). My fiancé is Egyptian and wrote his in English. I had him sign and scan the final page with his signature to include with the rest of the documentation. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.