grant_9

Should I File for a K-1 or Wait?

28 posts in this topic

Hello Everybody,

It has been a pleasure reading all of your stories. I have learned so much about the K1 Visa process that I'm considering tackling without a lawyer. Before I do that, I'd like to know whether it would even be wise to file a K-1 Visa at this point.

My Serbian fiancé and I met on a language learning app in November of 2021. I had been to Serbia the previous summer (2021) and agreed to teach English, which is my job in the states, in the summer of 2022. After about 6 weeks of talking on the app, we became more intimate and romantic. We exclusively started dating in February, but we wanted to confirm all of this in person. Luckily, we knew that I was going to be in Serbia for 56 days in the summer. We made the decision to live with each other for that entire duration.

She speaks English well, so there was not a language barrier. She is three years older than me (I'm 25 and she's 28). We met, and we loved every moment with each other.  Because of this, we started documenting our relationship, taking pictures together basically every day. I met all of her significant family members. On July 20th, we had a serious talk with each other and officially became engaged.

So far, these are the forms of evidence that I have collected for meeting in person:

• 20 pictures together, including some with her family
  • Correspondence with the English School that I taught at
  • A letter of recommendation from that school stating I taught at the school for my time in Serbia
  • Boarding passes
  • A foreign insurance policy
  • Correspondence with my Airbnb landlords
  • Bank statements
  • Plane receipts
  • Passport stamps

These are my forms of evidence that I have collected for evidence of an ongoing relationship:

• Text messages
    • This one scares me. Neither of us have access to more than one text message from November, December, and January. Our phones both reset in some way.
    • Starting in March, I have access to all of our calls and texts. We text every day.
  • Letters of support from friends and family
  • A letter from a minister stating he would marry us upon her arrival

Things that scare me about the case and possible denial:

• No engagement ring, ceremony, or celebration
  • We lost most of our correspondence from November, December, and January
  • We have only met once (albeit, for 56 days of living together)
  • We have only known each other for around 10 months at the time of filing

Lastly, here is some additional information about our case:

• Neither of us have ever been arrested at any time in our lives
  • I have never taken government assistance 
  • I meet all income requirements
  • She has never applied for a Visa in the United States
  • Neither of us has ever been married or divorced
  • I plan on giving her a ring in December. On this trip we will stay together for 3 weeks
  • We will live together again in the summer of 2023

I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions on our case. Should we wait longer, or is this sufficient to be approved for a K1 Visa? Thank you, and I wish all of you the best of luck on your immigration journeys!

5 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

It’s more than sufficient. You should file now because the wait times are extremely long for K1.

I will always say this: I do not believe that text messages/chats are good evidence, you have plenty of other more quality evidence. Similarly, “letters of support” from friends and family are also not high quality evidence. Personally we included none of that in our petition.

Thank you! I am perfectionist, and when I saw that the approval rate was between 60-70% now, I started fearing that we may not have enough for the consular stage. We are both aware of the long waiting times, but we know it will be worth it. 

4 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Would you mind sharing the source? I’m curious to see 

Here is the site that scared me a bit. I know it is not an official government website, but I get very paranoid about these things. It's a blessing and a curse lol my paranoia causes me to overprepare.

https://visarefusal.com/inadmissibility/k-1-visa-refusals/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, grant_9 said:

Here is the site that scared me a bit. I know it is not an official government website, but I get very paranoid about these things. It's a blessing and a curse lol my paranoia causes me to overprepare.

https://visarefusal.com/inadmissibility/k-1-visa-refusals/

That is an attorney's site.  They want to take your money for something you can do, yourself.

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
    In some situations, marriage can affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice   
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

That is an attorney's site.  They want to take your money for something you can do, yourself.

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
    In some situations, marriage can affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice   
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

Hey there, thanks for replying about the site. We are generally fine with the stipulations attached to the K1 Visa. I'm just worried about being denied the K1 visa. She thinks I'm being ridiculous, which is probably true. Looking at the details of our case, do you see any red flags, or are we good to go?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
13 minutes ago, grant_9 said:

Hey there, thanks for replying about the site. We are generally fine with the stipulations attached to the K1 Visa. I'm just worried about being denied the K1 visa. She thinks I'm being ridiculous, which is probably true. Looking at the details of our case, do you see any red flags, or are we good to go?

Welcome to Visa Journey. I agree with @powerpuff.  You realize that entering the US with a CR-1 immediate starts the clock for citizenship eligibility, but for a K-1, the clock doesn't start until the adjustment of status is approved....a year or two after entry.

By the way, a K-1 is not much faster than a CR-1....and it is definitely slower to receiving a Green Card.  In your case, it seems to me that a CR-1 is far superior.  Good luck on your journey.  It's going to be a long one.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Welcome to Visa Journey. I agree with @powerpuff.  You realize that entering the US with a CR-1 immediate starts the clock for citizenship eligibility, but for a K-1, the clock doesn't start until the adjustment of status is approved....a year or two after entry.

By the way, a K-1 is not much faster than a CR-1....and it is definitely slower to receiving a Green Card.  In your case, it seems to me that a CR-1 is far superior.  Good luck on your journey.  It's going to be a long one.  

Agree with crazy cat

i  would marry and process the CR1

Not needed from your list:

• Correspondence with the English School that I taught at
  • A letter of recommendation from that school stating I taught at the school for my time in Serbia
  • A foreign insurance policy
  • Correspondence with my Airbnb landlords
  • Bank statements
  • Plane receipts (you have boarding passes and receipts don't prove u made the flight)
  • Letters of support from friends and family
  • A letter from a minister stating he would marry us upon her arrival

4 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Bank statements

I disagree. We used both of our bank statements to show we were spending time at the same places. We only used one statement per person 

Timeline
1 hour ago, powerpuff said:

I disagree. We used both of our bank statements to show we were spending time at the same places. We only used one statement per person 

you sent but what it important to the case

Timeline

no question -wrong person sorry 

my computer is old and jumps around on me

5 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Not understanding the question here.

Edited by JeanneAdil

2 hours ago, grant_9 said:

There is no “ongoing relationship” documentation needed for the petition.   You have more than required to provide evidence of the one meeting.   For the requirement of evidence of intent to marry, you both write and sign a letter starting your intent.

Sending pages of text messages doesn’t get you brownie points with USCIS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.