stringtheory

Missed window to apply for SSN, can my spouse get a NY State ID?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I mistakenly thought the standard procedure to file for an SSN was to do so with the I485. Only afterwards, I realized it must be done two weeks after arrival and two weeks before the 90 days are up. Without the SSN which it seems like will not be available until we receive the green card, my spouse does not have enough points to qualify for an ID under the DMV rules. It seems like if you don't have the SSN, you also wouldn't be able to obtain other pieces of proof that the DMV accepts so I'm wondering if anyone has had luck finding a way around this? 

It's very common for most K1s to have to put driving on hold until they get their EAD or GC.

In many states, a K1 DL is valid only for the first 90 days anyways. 

I won't speak for NY but you can Google the policy ("NY DMV Driver's License non US citizens") yourself. 

There likely isn't a loop hole apart from accepting the fact that if driving was important, a spousal visa would have been your better option. 

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
26 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

It's very common for most K1s to have to put driving on hold until they get their EAD or GC.

In many states, a K1 DL is valid only for the first 90 days anyways. 

I won't speak for NY but you can Google the policy ("NY DMV Driver's License non US citizens") yourself. 

There likely isn't a loop hole apart from accepting the fact that if driving was important, a spousal visa would have been your better option. 

Some States like NY and NJ have recently been doling out DL to anybody regardless of immigration status. Therefore, NY will give you a DL irrespective of your immigration status so go ahead and apply. It won't be REAL ID though. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

Some States like NY and NJ have recently been doling out DL to anybody regardless of immigration status. Therefore, NY will give you a DL irrespective of your immigration status so go ahead and apply. It won't be REAL ID though. 

I'm actually looking to apply for just a regular ID for my spouse, not even a DL but because we don't have the SSN, we don't meet the points of proof requirements. I was hoping to hear from someone who was able to get an ID without a SSN. 

Timeline

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/driver-licenses-and-green-light-law

"You do not need a Social Security card to apply for a license or permit"

"Under the Driver's License Access and Privacy Act, driver license applicants who have never been issued a Social Security Number are eligible to apply.

You must sign an Affidavit (sworn statement) of never having been issued a Social Security Number when you apply for a standard driver license."

Timeline
3 minutes ago, stringtheory said:

I'm actually looking to apply for just a regular ID for my spouse, not even a DL but because we don't have the SSN, we don't meet the points of proof requirements. I was hoping to hear from someone who was able to get an ID without a SSN. 

Oh, if you are interested in only non-driver license ID then what i quoted above won't apply.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Apply for the DL Permit without a SSN per the link above. The NY permit serves as an ID and is valid for several years.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

5 hours ago, stringtheory said:

I mistakenly thought the standard procedure to file for an SSN was to do so with the I485. Only afterwards, I realized it must be done two weeks after arrival and two weeks before the 90 days are up. Without the SSN which it seems like will not be available until we receive the green card, my spouse does not have enough points to qualify for an ID under the DMV rules. It seems like if you don't have the SSN, you also wouldn't be able to obtain other pieces of proof that the DMV accepts so I'm wondering if anyone has had luck finding a way around this? 

U can get NY DL with any of immigration status, but regular state ID you will need SSN. So strange but its true 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

NY rules say the following

You need a Social Security Card or Ineligibility letter to apply for REAL ID compliant license or permit

a letter from the Social Security Administration issued within the past 30 days stating that you are ineligible for a Social Security Number

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/applying-standard-license-without-social-security-number-or-ineligibility-letter

Edited by JeanneAdil

~~ Topic moved from AOS K1 forum to Moving to America forum where similar topics are discussed ~~

For NY, you can get it without SSN but you will need a letter from SSA that you are ineligible for SSN as @JeanneAdil said above. 

Timeline

If you don't care whether it's a REAL ID or not, then I vote for going the learner's permit route; seems like the least resistant route. Otherwise, get the ineligible letter from SSA and meet the more stringent points for REAL ID.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

conundrum 

soon NY residents will be required to have the Real ID to enter federal buildings  (NY state rule) last date to apply in May 2023

i can see an uniformed security guard not allowing a person in for AOS interview with just their foreign passport like SS officers who don't know a person to get a SS# with a spouse visa as has happened 

Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

conundrum 

soon NY residents will be required to have the Real ID to enter federal buildings  (NY state rule) last date to apply in May 2023

i can see an uniformed security guard not allowing a person in for AOS interview with just their foreign passport like SS officers who don't know a person to get a SS# with a spouse visa as has happened 

Yh, Real ID won't be the only option to enter USCIS federal buildings. Remote chance the security guard will deny you entry if your appointment letter clearly says your government issued passport is accepted, which has always been the case since time memorial. I doubt USCIS removes passports as form of ID, otherwise thousands to millions of people won't be able to attend USCIS appointments.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Real ID is required to enter federal buildings only if the residents choose to use the DL or Non Driver ID card. If they choose to use the valid passport, Real ID isn't required. And it's for all states not just for NY.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

3 hours ago, nastra30 said:

If you don't care whether it's a REAL ID or not, then I vote for going the learner's permit route; seems like the least resistant route. Otherwise, get the ineligible letter from SSA and meet the more stringent points for REAL ID.

Agreed. All you need for a learner's permit or a DL is sworn statement that you have never been issued an SSN. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.