stringtheory

Missed window to apply for SSN, can my spouse get a NY State ID?

22 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, stringtheory said:

I'm actually looking to apply for just a regular ID for my spouse, not even a DL but because we don't have the SSN, we don't meet the points of proof requirements. I was hoping to hear from someone who was able to get an ID without a SSN. 

She can get a standard ID or Learner's Permit. The documents to bring are:

1. Foreign passport (proof of DOB only) - 4 points

2. Form NSS-1A - affidavit stating she'd never received a social security number - 0 points

3. 1 proof of NY residence and 2 more points for name, look at id44 for full list of what they will take.

She can upgrade to a RealID once she gets her green card (can also do it with an EAD but the ID will expire the same day as an EAD). This ID will say "not for federal purposes" but RealID got pushed back to May 3rd, 2023, so she can use it for federal purposes and domestic air travel in the meantime.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Use your Passport as ID

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
4 hours ago, Demise said:

She can get a standard ID or Learner's Permit. The documents to bring are:

1. Foreign passport (proof of DOB only) - 4 points

2. Form NSS-1A - affidavit stating she'd never received a social security number - 0 points

3. 1 proof of NY residence and 2 more points for name, look at id44 for full list of what they will take.

No 2 is applicable for permit and license only not for standard non driver ID. Best is to apply for permit which is itself an ID.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
13 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

NY rules say the following

You need a Social Security Card or Ineligibility letter to apply for REAL ID compliant license or permit

a letter from the Social Security Administration issued within the past 30 days stating that you are ineligible for a Social Security Number

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/applying-standard-license-without-social-security-number-or-ineligibility-letter

11 hours ago, nastra30 said:

If you don't care whether it's a REAL ID or not, then I vote for going the learner's permit route; seems like the least resistant route. Otherwise, get the ineligible letter from SSA and meet the more stringent points for REAL ID.

Would you guys know if my situation qualifies for ineligibility? My spouse applied for the SSN along with the I485 and my understanding is that we have to wait a year or more for this before we can receive the green card + SSN so are we ineligible at the moment? 

5 hours ago, arken said:

No 2 is applicable for permit and license only not for standard non driver ID. Best is to apply for permit which is itself an ID.

Yeah you're right, so she should just get a learner's permit.

4 hours ago, stringtheory said:

Would you guys know if my situation qualifies for ineligibility? My spouse applied for the SSN along with the I485 and my understanding is that we have to wait a year or more for this before we can receive the green card + SSN so are we ineligible at the moment? 

Does your spouse have an EAD?

1 hour ago, stringtheory said:

No she does not have an EAD. We did not apply for one either.

Make a copy of I-485 receipt notice and file I-765 (category (c)(9)) and I-131 (advance parole), both are free while the I-485 is pending.

Anyways, to apply now considering that your spouse entered on K-1 which I will assume has since expired, just do the Standard Learner's Permit using the foreign passport, the affidavit that they never got a SSN, 1 proof of NYS residency, and 2 more points in name. As I said before, Real ID got postponed to May 3rd, 2023, so they can fly domestically on it, and by the time it kicks in they'll get an EAD which is considered a Real ID for domestic air travel.

Edited by Demise

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.