laylalex

18 children, 3 adults killed in Texas elementary school shooting

105 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Yep.  I am also 100% behind training and arming teachers in every school.  These "gun free zone" signs are just insane.  Since when, do criminals and crazies read and obey signs.  

If he started out in a shootout with the cops outside of the school and still managed to get inside of the school, I'm not sure a teacher with a gun would do much. Also what happens when that teacher decides to be the one to pull the trigger, misses and kills a child? What happens when the teacher is having a mental problems and shoots the kids? What happens when the teacher doesn't secure the firearm properly and someone gains access?

I'm not opposed to having some very responsible and trained parties being armed in school, but teachers are there to focus on teaching imo. It is clear there are some big security issues in this case:

1) individual was not stopped by officers outside the school.

2) school was not secure and he gained easy access. there is even a video showing him entering with ease. typically the individual ends up smuggling guns inside a backpack, this case proves any old idiot with a gun could get access inside without being stopped.

3) shooter still managed to get access inside a classroom. in other shooting cases, gunmen could not get access to some students because the rooms were barricaded. was this classroom properly barricaded? 

I have been thinking about if it is possible for classrooms to have a 'safe room'... of course there will be pushback about this. Heck, B'more city schools can't even get air conditioning or heat. Probably very expensive. My dad would often say he'd notice a lot of vulnerable access points in the back of schools, near the kitchens - where the doors would be left wide open for ventilation. 

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
46 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

If he started out in a shootout with the cops outside of the school and still managed to get inside of the school, I'm not sure a teacher with a gun would do much.

He could have been stopped/neutralized as soon as he gained entry by an armed teacher inside the school.  You can "what if" any situation into a million possibilities......but  arming  teachers would be a logical step in securing schools.  These sick people don't just randomly pick schools to mass murder.  They know these "gun free zones" are easy targets. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

He could have been stopped/neutralized as soon as he gained entry by an armed teacher inside the school.  You can "what if" any situation into a million possibilities......but  arming  teachers would be a logical step in securing schools.  These people don't just randomly pick schools to mass murder.  They know these "gun free zones" are easy targets. 

Armed and trained cops, and that included the school resource officer did not stop him before he entered and they did not stop him until he had seemingly somehow gained access to a classroom that should have been barricaded. I'm not confident a teacher could have done it either.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
Just now, yuna628 said:

Armed and trained cops, and that included the school resource officer did not stop him before he entered and they did not stop him until he had seemingly somehow gained access to a classroom that should have been barricaded. I'm not confident a teacher could have done it either.

Seems to be all the more reason to arm teachers.  Two lines of defense are better than one.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
54 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

What photos are they? Do you mean the real photographs which I have seen which were on his page? There's only two that existed, the rest were all of guns. It's not clear that those photos are actually of him either, but if they are, they are not suggestive of anything. The only other photo that exists is the one that police have provided.

However there are other photos which have been shared widely online without any sort of checking whatsoever. Those photos are of a very real and alive transgender person that is now being harassed. They are pretty understandably angry about this.

There is no evidence to suggest the shooter was transgender. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that this is yet another very hateful (a long record of 'issues') and mentally ill individual that managed to legally purchase firearms, and modified one of them.

Who said anything about transgender? Identity doesn't necessarily mean sexual orientation. When the shooter is of a certain "identity" the media loves to show you the shooter, and let you know that it is his race and his built in racism that caused him to kill. When the person is not of that particular "identity", they will show you the guns instead. 

Edited by MarJhi

Timeline

How about a dose of reality.

1.  No additional laws will remedy the situation.

2.  Guns cannot be eliminated from US soil.

The logical step toward better school security is right in front of our eyes.......TRAIN & ARM THE TEACHERS. Unfortunately, a certain faction in this country are too unwilling to accept reality.  Their "feel good" actions such as posting "gun free zone" signs are all emotion and no logic. In fact, an argument could be made that they have endangered the lives of children.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
9 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

I'll be that he was on some kind of psychiatric drug or stopped taking one.  U.S. is a mental health mess now.

This is the common  denominator in nearly all of these events. In this country we medicate the kids first and bury other kids later.

Right now, in almost every school in the US, the active shooter plan is:

Step 1: hope you can get the kids in the room before the shooter gets you

Step 2: lock the door, turn off the lights, cover the windows and hope the shooter passes you by

Step 3:  hope the cops get the shooter before the shooter gets you.

I'm not real happy with that plan.  I have a colleague who teaches down the hall that is about as far left as possible and even he is open to the idea of arming teachers.  Granted, there needs to be extensive training but he realized that after this happened in Uvalde, it could happen anywhere.  And hope really isn't much of a plan.

Timeline
1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

Heck, B'more city schools can't even get air conditioning or heat.

Well we know money isn't the issue in Baltimore.

Top 10 Largest School Districts Per Pupil Current Spending (census.gov)

Timeline
4 minutes ago, B_J said:

Granted, there needs to be extensive training

Absolutely.  There are plenty of great training resources.....I am shocked that these teacher unions haven't screaming for this.....I think they are, as a whole, part of the faction who refuse to accept reality.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

Absolutely.  There are plenty of great training resources.....I am shocked that these teacher unions haven't screaming for this.....I think they are, as a whole, part of the faction who refuse to accept reality.  

Gun training acknowledges that there is a place in the US for guns, which the teacher's unions will never do because of their political leanings. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, MarJhi said:

Gun training acknowledges that there is a place in the US for guns, which the teacher's unions will never do because of their political leanings. 

True.  and they would never accept training from one the best resources in the country (imo), the...............................NRA.

Timeline
1 minute ago, LIBrty4all said:

Without being able to see inside the head of the sick individual that does it, there is no way, buddy.

As a retired Registered Nurse with experience in Adolescent Psych and Adult Psych, I can tell you that it is an inexact science.....for the very reason you stated.  There is a lot of subjectivity in that area of medicine.