Inveigh

How many times did you see your Fiance before the interview?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Having as much in-person time together as possible is important, especially for countries with higher fraud. Comparing your situation to others who went through a low-fraud country won't necessarily be helpful. Australia is low fraud, but my husband visited 3 times during the K-1 process (each visit was 4-6 weeks long).

Do you know if your case has any other red flags? (Like big age difference, different religions, etc.)

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
1 minute ago, beloved_dingo said:

Having as much in-person time together as possible is important, especially for countries with higher fraud. Comparing your situation to others who went through a low-fraud country won't necessarily be helpful. Australia is low fraud, but my husband visited 3 times during the K-1 process (each visit was 4-6 weeks long).

Do you know if your case has any other red flags? (Like big age difference, different religions, etc.)

Greetings Beloved_Dingo,

As far as red flags, I dont think there are many that can be found between us.

We are both the same age, speak the same language, and she is and atheist and I am agnostic. The only thing that would cause a red flag that I can think of is the fact that our countries are not level headed with one another.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Inveigh said:

Greetings Beloved_Dingo,

We are both the same age, speak the same language, and she is and atheist and I am agnostic. The only thing that would cause a red flag that I can think of is the fact that our countries are not level headed with one another.

That is great that you are of similar ages and have common beliefs. I would just advise to try and visit each other as much as possible throughout the process to strengthen your case. The time you have spent together so far is sufficient for the initial filing but the CO is likely going to want to see more time has been spent together once you get to the interview stage. 

Good luck to you both going forward! It can be a very stressful process but it is so worth it once you can be with the person you love.

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

2 hours ago, JoshandSarah said:

We only saw each other once and on that one trip we saw each other, we filed and got engaged. Don't be too paranoid about this my friend.
Hope this helps! 

Helps too that your beneficiary is not from a country the United States officially designated as a state sponsor of terror.

In other words:  one short visit for NZ vs one short visit for Iran =apples and oranges.

32 minutes ago, Inveigh said:

Greetings Beloved_Dingo,

We were together for over 2000 days, almost in a row.  Then Covid came and gave us a break :)  The only time during that period we were apart was when I was traveling around in the Middle East with a number of trips to Iran.  I thought Southeast Asians were hospitable, but then I spent time in Iran and nothing compares to that place, although Syria and Iraq come in a very close 2nd.  As you know, the governments and the general population are two different people.  I had quite of bit of interaction with the US govt during my time in Iran and the ignorance displayed between separating govt affairs with personal affairs was abundant.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

3 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

We were together for over 2000 days, almost in a row.  Then Covid came and gave us a break :)  The only time during that period we were apart was when I was traveling around in the Middle East with a number of trips to Iran.  I thought Southeast Asians were hospitable, but then I spent time in Iran and nothing compares to that place, although Syria and Iraq come in a very close 2nd.  As you know, the governments and the general population are two different people.  I had quite of bit of interaction with the US govt during my time in Iran and the ignorance displayed between separating govt affairs with personal affairs was abundant.  

I have wanted to travel to Iran since seeing Anthony Bourdain's show about going there.  Looks so beautiful and interesting.  On my bucket list if it ever opens up for Americans.

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

I have wanted to travel to Iran since seeing Anthony Bourdain's show about going there.  Looks so beautiful and interesting.  On my bucket list if it ever opens up for Americans.

It is open to Americans, unless there are Covid restrictions in place preventing travel.

Americans, along with British, Canadians and I believe Australians will need a guide with Americans required to be with a more experienced "guide".  A few of the trips I did was through Surf Iran and they were excellent in helping to prepare the paperwork as well as providing the guide.  Its not like going to North Korea where you have multiple minders follow you everywhere you go. I was given considerable leeway in Iran to move around quite freely, especially in Tehran.  In fact, I almost never had a guide with me around that city.  Surf Iran can also arrange trips to Shiraz, Esfahan, Tabriz, etc etc.

The visa can take some time, I believe each time I applied it took around 3 or 4 months where you will eventually be given a pin code and that is what you will use when applying at the local Iranian Embassy/Consulate.

I highly recommend going.  At no point in time did I ever feel threatened or in any danger.  One of my trips was a week after Iran shot down one of the US surveillance drones, but going through immigration and customs there were no issues.  The people are phenomenal.  Also, for being a relatively "closed off" country, the people are generally knowledgeable on what is going on in international affairs.  Many will ask you, is the Iran you see now the same as what is portrayed on TV.  Obviously the government is not great, but the general population is quite good.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

32 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

It is open to Americans, unless there are Covid restrictions in place preventing travel.

Americans, along with British, Canadians and I believe Australians will need a guide with Americans required to be with a more experienced "guide".  A few of the trips I did was through Surf Iran and they were excellent in helping to prepare the paperwork as well as providing the guide.  Its not like going to North Korea where you have multiple minders follow you everywhere you go. I was given considerable leeway in Iran to move around quite freely, especially in Tehran.  In fact, I almost never had a guide with me around that city.  Surf Iran can also arrange trips to Shiraz, Esfahan, Tabriz, etc etc.

The visa can take some time, I believe each time I applied it took around 3 or 4 months where you will eventually be given a pin code and that is what you will use when applying at the local Iranian Embassy/Consulate.

I highly recommend going.  At no point in time did I ever feel threatened or in any danger.  One of my trips was a week after Iran shot down one of the US surveillance drones, but going through immigration and customs there were no issues.  The people are phenomenal.  Also, for being a relatively "closed off" country, the people are generally knowledgeable on what is going on in international affairs.  Many will ask you, is the Iran you see now the same as what is portrayed on TV.  Obviously the government is not great, but the general population is quite good.

Thank you very much for the detailed info!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
36 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Did you have to be there with a tour guide the 'entire' time?

Edited by Inveigh

41 minutes ago, Inveigh said:

Did you have to be there with a tour guide the 'entire' time?

I dont want to hijack this thread, so you can always PM for questions.  For nationalities that are "restricted" which includes US citizens, a guide was prearranged before my arrival.  This is a must for US, British, Canadian citizens as when you go through immigration, they will be able to see who your assigned guide is.  That guide will be approved by the government and immigration will know their names.  Only US citizens are required to be with a guide who has, I believe minimum of 5 or 7 years experience as a tour guide in Iran.  However, my guide was rarely with me except when traveling in different parts of Iran besides Tehran.  In Tehran, I came and went from the hotel whenever I wanted and went wherever I wanted.  I was always free.  In other cities such as Yadz, Shiraz, etc, I was with the guide when we ate or went to certain places, but many times, I just went out and about on my own.  The only true restriction I could not get around is I was unable to stay with local families.  It is very common for Iranians to invite you to their homes but as a US citizen, this was the only thing I found impossible without potential repercussions later. 

If you want more information, I can PM you.  There are some things you need to be careful of when applying for the visa, one of which is if you have visited Israel in the past, do not mark down on the papers that you have visited Israel :)  You can always ask State Dept for a 2nd valid US passport if needed.  I had multiple passports as even though Israel does not stamp your passport, I wanted a "clean" passport for my travels through Lebanon, Syria, Iran, etc.  Since you need a visa to enter Iran, they will not give you a visa if there is any evidence of being in Israel.  However countries such as Lebanon, they will spent 10 minutes looking for any potential entries to Israel (for example and entry stamp to Jordan, but no exit stamp).  Lebanon will either deny you entry or possibly detain you for certain periods.  

Edited by flicks1998

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

"Face time" is crucial in proving a bona fide relationship.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
On 5/25/2022 at 3:38 PM, Jorgedig said:

Helps too that your beneficiary is not from a country the United States officially designated as a state sponsor of terror.

In other words:  one short visit for NZ vs one short visit for Iran =apples and oranges.

Sorry I spoke VisajourneyGodJorge.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline

We currently live together in Panama. We have not been approved yet. If I had joined here earlier we would have gone with a marriage based visa, but you live and you learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.