Mike E

Canada no longer requires US LPRs to have eTA and clarifies acceptable forms of I-551

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I assume this also exempts LPRs who just transit through Canada by air.  This caused us considerable problems a few years ago.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I assume this also exempts LPRs who just transit through Canada by air.  This caused us considerable problems a few years ago.  

Yes it would.  

It’s a major league play by Canada to drop eTA for this category and I’m hopeful Canada extends this to other categories. I’m not a fan of fake visa waivers and am dreading ETIAS 

Someone just posted on Reddit today. Got rejected to fly from Michigan to Toronto twice in a week ( by delta ) with her expired Conditional GC + extension letter. British passport. That person finally drove instead of fly. This is happened in 4/24. 

78049E0A-0C85-49AE-8B77-D4C1384D47B1.jpeg

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I drove to Vancouver with the expired GC and letter, it was ok. I've heard from a friend who flew down Mexico encountered a similar situation. They let her fly but the immigration on the Mexico side didn't let them to get in. They put them right back onto the next flight to California. Wonder what is going on.

I flew to Europe two weeks ago, and everything seemed fine.

Edited by aznhouston

Timeline
7 hours ago, aznhouston said:

. I've heard from a friend who flew down Mexico encountered a similar situation. They let her fly but the immigration on the Mexico side didn't let them to get in. They put them right back onto the next flight to California. Wonder what is going on.

The opposite of our experience in February.  The airline was difficult but let her board.  In Mexico (Cancun) the immigration officer didn’t say a thing and admitted her into Mexico.  

Sweet, I guess I don't need to bother renewing my Canadian PR card if my Canadian citizenship application gets delayed.

On 5/1/2022 at 9:47 AM, Mike E said:

Yes it would.  

It’s a major league play by Canada to drop eTA for this category and I’m hopeful Canada extends this to other categories. I’m not a fan of fake visa waivers and am dreading ETIAS 

I'm in agreement with you, but I do think they're going to become the norm. The UK is looking at setting up such a system, Australia already has it. ETIAS is a bit of a laugh because the EU threw an absolute fit when the US came out with ESTA. These systems are seen as beneficial as it results in having fewer deportation flights for those people who would've been denied entry, who instead are now denied travel authorization.

The VWP in the US annoys the hell out of me, because on a reciprocal basis, the UK (my country of citizenship) treats US Citizens as fully visa exempt for tourism no matter what, there is no situation that a US Citizen would need a visa to be boarded onto a flight if they were just coming for a short visit...the same goes for the EU. Though in the other direction, if the UK/EU citizen fouls up in the US, they become visa required for life. I respect that the US is well within its own rights to set up its own visa policy as it sees fit, but still...grr. And on top of that we have the peculiar special privileges that Canadian citizens get with going to the US that no other country gets...they used to extend that to Canadian PRs too, but sadly post 9/11 we can't have nice things...apologies for my rambling. xD

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

Submitted I-751: 06/08/2023

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Timeline
10 hours ago, aznhouston said:

I drove to Vancouver with the expired GC and letter, it was ok. I've heard from a friend who flew down Mexico encountered a similar situation. They let her fly but the immigration on the Mexico side didn't let them to get in. They put them right back onto the next flight to California. Wonder what is going on.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
8 hours ago, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

Sweet, I guess I don't need to bother renewing my Canadian PR card if my Canadian citizenship application gets delayed.

I'm in agreement with you, but I do think they're going to become the norm. The UK is looking at setting up such a system, Australia already has it. ETIAS is a bit of a laugh because the EU threw an absolute fit when the US came out with ESTA. These systems are seen as beneficial as it results in having fewer deportation flights for those people who would've been denied entry, who instead are now denied travel authorization.

The VWP in the US annoys the hell out of me, because on a reciprocal basis, the UK (my country of citizenship) treats US Citizens as fully visa exempt for tourism no matter what, there is no situation that a US Citizen would need a visa to be boarded onto a flight if they were just coming for a short visit...the same goes for the EU. Though in the other direction, if the UK/EU citizen fouls up in the US, they become visa required for life. I respect that the US is well within its own rights to set up its own visa policy as it sees fit, but still...grr. And on top of that we have the peculiar special privileges that Canadian citizens get with going to the US that no other country gets...they used to extend that to Canadian PRs too, but sadly post 9/11 we can't have nice things...apologies for my rambling. xD

The US is everyone's enemy I guess. LOL.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.