Kristina92

K1 AWA

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone 🙂

This is my first time posting but I have been reading previous posts for a while now.

My fiancé (US citizen) and I were planning on starting our K1 visa but when I looked on the application form I saw it asked about criminal records etc which is when I found about the awa. My fiancé was convicted when he was 17 (now 31) and his crime would fall under that. So naturally we were heartbroken to find out the process of getting me over there will not be an easy one. I spent days and days and days crying and felt completely empty at the idea of not being able to be together. He wouldn’t be able to move here (the UK). After reading many posts I understand that the cost of this will be huge but we’re both willing and happy to pay whatever is needed. I have read about successful waivers and what evidence they provided with their NOID. I’m just wondering if anyone else has updates on their waivers that I may have missed and not seen? I’ve read many posts which don’t have any updates. For those of you who were denied, what did you do next? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

https://amcgaritylaw.com/the-adam-walsh-act-and-sponsoring-immigrant-relatives/#:~:text=AWA Convictions Are Broad&text=First%2C the term “specified offense,as kidnapping and false imprisonment.

read the part that starts NO RISK EXEMPTION

There is no waiver or appeal available. Rather, there is an exception called a ‘no risk’ exception. Per a 2007 USCIS memo entitled the Aytes Memo, a USCIS officer may make a discretionary, non-reviewable determination that the U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident petitioner does not pose a risk to the immigrating relative, based on his or her AWA conviction. Factors include not just the nature and severity of the conviction (and the facts supporting the conviction), but also:

u may not have known about the AWA but your fiancee did and he should have fully discussed this with u when the close relationship started

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline

he would more than likely be denied entry into most countries

this guy served time for a crime and it would be pointed out the terms  of the AWA by his probation officer when he got out

not sure how this girl met him but he has many restrictions

i hope there are no children involved and she has not let him talk to any kids online or  a phone

However, sex offenders who committed child sex crimes will have a unique identifier on their passports. This identifier states that the person is a sex offender.Nov 17, 2021

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

this guy served time for a crime and it would be pointed out the terms  of the AWA by his probation officer when he got out

i hope there are no children involved and she has not let him talk to any kids online or  a phone

However, sex offenders who committed child sex crimes will have a unique identifier on their passports. This identifier states that the person is a sex offender.Nov 17, 2021

How did you verify if the guy served time?

the identifiers you speak about have not been implemented!

3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Timeline
1 hour ago, Genesisfan said:

How did you verify if the guy served time?

the identifiers you speak about have not been implemented!

he is under AWA

means he was convicted of sexual  act on a minor

that means prison time / OP can correct this if she knows he got off with consuling and probation but its very very rare when it involves crime against a minor / and most 17 year olds are considered adults when sex crimes are the issue 

its not really a guess /  i volunterred for 2 years  as a PT in a NY state prison and one of the things i heard from the psychologist was sex offenders can not be cured 

I wrote a paper on that one 

as if a psych person can not help ANYONE of them,  its like admitting they can't help anyone thru anything/ they are useless

and under the AWA his passport has to be stamped as such/ no way around that one

Timeline
17 hours ago, Kristina92 said:

Hi everyone 🙂

This is my first time posting but I have been reading previous posts for a while now.

My fiancé (US citizen) and I were planning on starting our K1 visa but when I looked on the application form I saw it asked about criminal records etc which is when I found about the awa. My fiancé was convicted when he was 17 (now 31) and his crime would fall under that. So naturally we were heartbroken to find out the process of getting me over there will not be an easy one. I spent days and days and days crying and felt completely empty at the idea of not being able to be together. He wouldn’t be able to move here (the UK). After reading many posts I understand that the cost of this will be huge but we’re both willing and happy to pay whatever is needed. I have read about successful waivers and what evidence they provided with their NOID. I’m just wondering if anyone else has updates on their waivers that I may have missed and not seen? I’ve read many posts which don’t have any updates. For those of you who were denied, what did you do next? 

Our case falls under awa I am the  petitioner K-1 visa, we applied April 2019 case was transferred to Vermont July 2019. I received an order by mail to report to USCIS in April 2022 for biometrics. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post has been removed for instigating an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users, as evidenced by a reaction to it (also removed).

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
19 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

A post has been removed for instigating an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users, as evidenced by a reaction to it (also removed).

I understand Mr.Tbone

i apologize if I offended or hurt anyone 

sincerely,

Genesisfan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post removed. PLease start your own thread if you have questions~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

We just take one day at a time praying &  remaining optimistic. The case is out of our control and up to USCIS to determine No-Risk for approval. Each case is based on its merits hopefully 

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further replies. Please do not bump old threads, if you have a question start your own thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.