Dan B

Victim of domestic violence

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good morning, I've been a victim of domestic violence and all the abuse that comes with that, not excluding abandonment by my us citizen wife.

I am out here in Florida where no idea of what to do are where to turn because I dont have a source of income, everyone has been telling me to seek legal advice, I dont have the money to even pay for a consultation right now and this is my biggest problem. She filed my I-485 application and has been sabotaging my process, an EAD card has been issued to be to our address also my social security card, they both was confiscated my by wife in her means to should me down and trying to have me deported, her biggest fear is having to deal with a divorce settlement so she isn't trying her best to do everything to have me out of the country before she have to share anything with me. I already know about the I-360, but everywhere I turn different attorneys have a different figure not less then 5,200$ but with my current situation at times I can't even find meals because I can't work, no1 wants to employ me so I'm left to the mercy of the world by my sponsor who petitioned for me, she is hoping I find it so hard where I would just pack up and leave the us. I took the police to our address to retrieve my documents and she told the police that she doesn't have them and that she had given my social security card to her attorneys along with my EAD card, I dont know much about the laws but I do know that it is illegal to confiscate government issued documents belonging to someone else, she even went on to tell the officers that I didn't live there in her plight to have me removed to protect her assets against me, but I do have copies of my mails that I received there before she put me out of the house and also photographs. I am writing to visa journey because I would like the best advice I can get some help. I'm not a bad person, I'm of good moral character, I have not been arrested or convinced.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Google charity groups in your locality that could help for free.

Additionally, if you can gather all documents, file on your own.

You can file a police report for your lost items and since she ratted herself out that she gave them to her attorney, note that in the report. I'm not even sure if a sane attorney will keep those items, knowing fully well that that's against the law. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

I dont think so as well, she just lied to the police because she know that they can't just go in to search the premises. There is already a police report filed, they told me that its now a civil matter and I have to take this to the court. 

She cannot put you out of the house without a court order dude.  Get a deputy, go in, and get your stuff.  Had you asked you would have been advised to not leave your home.

YOU can give consent to have your own home searched

Edited by iwannaplay54

Timeline
13 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

She cannot put you out of the house without a court order dude.  Get a deputy, go in, and get your stuff.  Had you asked you would have been advised to not leave your home.

YOU can give consent to have your own home searched

I understand you but I want you to try and understand me, if a person is abusive the victim on the receiving end of that abused first priority is to always find away out of it. I did that because I'm thinking about my life and wellbeing. 

5 minutes ago, Bryan odain Blair said:

I understand you but I want you to try and understand me, if a person is abusive the victim on the receiving end of that abused first priority is to always find away out of it. I did that because I'm thinking about my life and wellbeing. 

I do understand.  See note above about standby.  You have the right to enter your home with a police officer and retrieve all of your property and you have the right to look anywhere you want to look to find it.  You dont even have to clean up behind yourself while you’re looking for it LOL.  I’d search thoroughly and no, I would not put anything back while I’m searching. Don’t have to.  Not your problem.  I’d search every nook and cranny of that place.

If she has an attorney what is his/her name?  Ask the attorney for your property. An attorney cannot hold your documents.

Edited by iwannaplay54

Timeline
1 minute ago, iwannaplay54 said:

I do understand.  See note above about standby.  You have the right to enter your home with a police officer and retrieve all of your property and you have the right to look anywhere you want to look to find it.  You dont even have to clean up behind yourself while you’re looking for it LOL

If she has an attorney what is his/her name?  Ask the attorney for your property. An attorney cannot hold your documents.

She didn't give anything to her attorney, we both know that but she just told the police that and they and from my recollection of what happened to me in that house, not even with police there I was comfortable with going in there.

20 minutes ago, Bryan odain Blair said:

She didn't give anything to her attorney, we both know that but she just told the police that and they and from my recollection of what happened to me in that house, not even with police there I was comfortable with going in there.

You want your stuff, that’s how to get it safely.  No rule on being neat about it.  Get your things, get out, move on.

In the meantime there are legal services available for abused spouses both genders and your local county sheriff’s deputies keep a stack of resources available.  The first thing to avail yourself is legal services and some place to stay where you can file for divorce, support, attorney’s fees, and a restraining order against her in one petition.

After that, dont contact her or bother her again.  You’re not “dividing”’property.  You get your things, she gets hers, thats it.  Property division is joint property and you likely haven’t been married long enough to acquire any.  No children, nothing to fight over, just divorce and temporary support until you are on your own and working.  
Her assets aren’t yours to take, not sure you realize that.  Even in community property states community property is defined as acquired jointly between spouses during the marriage. You haven’t been married long enough to jointly acquire anything.

Edited by iwannaplay54

25 minutes ago, Bryan odain Blair said:

You better get comfortable with retrieving your property.  Check with the attorney first, verify that your wife lied,  get back over there with an officer, get it, dont go back.

4 hours ago, Bryan odain Blair said:

not even with police there I was comfortable with going in there.

Why?  Do you think she would assault you in the presence of police?

7 hours ago, Bryan odain Blair said:

Good morning, I've been a victim of domestic violence and all the abuse that comes with that, not excluding abandonment by my us citizen wife.

I am out here in Florida where no idea of what to do are where to turn because I dont have a source of income, everyone has been telling me to seek legal advice, I dont have the money to even pay for a consultation right now and this is my biggest problem. She filed my I-485 application and has been sabotaging my process, an EAD card has been issued to be to our address also my social security card, they both was confiscated my by wife in her means to should me down and trying to have me deported, her biggest fear is having to deal with a divorce settlement so she isn't trying her best to do everything to have me out of the country before she have to share anything with me. I already know about the I-360, but everywhere I turn different attorneys have a different figure not less then 5,200$ but with my current situation at times I can't even find meals because I can't work, no1 wants to employ me so I'm left to the mercy of the world by my sponsor who petitioned for me, she is hoping I find it so hard where I would just pack up and leave the us. I took the police to our address to retrieve my documents and she told the police that she doesn't have them and that she had given my social security card to her attorneys along with my EAD card, I dont know much about the laws but I do know that it is illegal to confiscate government issued documents belonging to someone else, she even went on to tell the officers that I didn't live there in her plight to have me removed to protect her assets against me, but I do have copies of my mails that I received there before she put me out of the house and also photographs. I am writing to visa journey because I would like the best advice I can get some help. I'm not a bad person, I'm of good moral character, I have not been arrested or convinced.

You came here asking for help.  You have received many good answers in this thread, yet you are full of reasons why nothing suggested will work.

The bottom line is that you have to be pro-active and take steps to help yourself, even if it means going out of your comfort zone to contact an attorney or the police.

No one is going to do this for you.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Why?  Do you think she would assault you in the presence of police?

I dont wish to be interacted here, I wrote a post seeking help from people with experience that might know how to assist regarding my current situation. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.