username999

Marrying in the US, but returning to the UK - is it possible?

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! A long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm so sorry if this is the incorrect thread for my query, I wasn't quite sure where my question would fit.

I am from the United Kingdom, and my fiance lives in Michigan, USA. On my next visit to her in the States we would like to get married in the USA, though I will be returning back to the UK soon afterwards. The reason for this is to allow us more time to save, and in the future apply for a CR1 spouse visa later down the line so that when I do eventually live in the US, I will hopefully be able to start work faster than if I were on a K1 as neither of us have much disposable income. 

Does anyone know how we would go about getting married? Would I need to apply for a special visa before travelling to the US? I know for the other way around, if we were to marry in the UK, my partner would need to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa before coming here, but I didn't know if there was something similar the other way around? I'm so sorry if this sounds very uneducated! We are so unsure where to start and so overwhelmed by information! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

No special visa needed if you are going to return.  @Loren Y can marry you in Las Vegas.  He offers this free service to VJ members.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

25 minutes ago, username999 said:

Hi everyone! A long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm so sorry if this is the incorrect thread for my query, I wasn't quite sure where my question would fit.

I am from the United Kingdom, and my fiance lives in Michigan, USA. On my next visit to her in the States we would like to get married in the USA, though I will be returning back to the UK soon afterwards. The reason for this is to allow us more time to save, and in the future apply for a CR1 spouse visa later down the line so that when I do eventually live in the US, I will hopefully be able to start work faster than if I were on a K1 as neither of us have much disposable income. 

Does anyone know how we would go about getting married? Would I need to apply for a special visa before travelling to the US? I know for the other way around, if we were to marry in the UK, my partner would need to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa before coming here, but I didn't know if there was something similar the other way around? I'm so sorry if this sounds very uneducated! We are so unsure where to start and so overwhelmed by information! 

No such thing as a "marriage visitor visa". Foreigners are allowed to enter the USA as a regular tourist for the purpose of getting married and then exiting. As a UK citizen, you don't even need to apply for a tourist visa since the UK is under VWP (Visa Waiver Program): https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/

3 hours ago, username999 said:

We got married in Michigan and it was a fairly straightforward process. 

It has probably changed with COVID. But, we did a walk-in, paid an extra fee to waive the waiting period and got married same day. I used my passport for identification and didn't need any other paperwork (as it was my first marriage).

We didn't bring any witnesses so people from the office signed for us. But, the couple marrying before us brought some guests so I'm sure you can do that, too (they also made an appointment so they got married before us). 

I returned to Korea a couple of weeks later. 

Edited by Kor2USA

3 hours ago, username999 said:

Thank you everyone! That's great news, and a bit of worry off of our plate! We'll just be doing a simple courthouse ceremony first time around so hopefully it will all be quite straightforward then :)

It usually is.  Have your fiance check the laws in the state, make sure you have everything you need before you leave.

If there’s a waiting period pick a state that doesnt have one.  Nevada being one.

Edited by iwannaplay54

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

When U.S. CBP asks you the purpose of your visit, avoid giving the impression that you're going to stay.  If you mention marriage, consider saying something like, "My fiancee and I have determined that the CR-1 visa is superior to the K-1, so I'm going to marry her in the U.S. and return to the UK while the I-130 petition is processed."

Others here might have better or further advice.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 1/8/2022 at 4:06 PM, username999 said:

As @Crazy Cat has mentioned,  I can get you married with certificate in hand in an hour or less. It does require a trip to Las Vegas.  But, out of Detroit that is a cheap round trip ticket.  Message me with any questions. 

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.