Chancy

Brrr!

12 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Before my husband and I got married, we had a conversation about where I want to live --

Chancy:  I'm ok with anywhere that is not a war zone and that has stable internet access.  But I can't stand the cold.

Future-MrChancy:  Ooh, you'll love it here in Louisiana!  It's so hot and humid, people wear shorts on Christmas!

Now, a month after I moved to the US, it's 30F/-1C.  Last night, I slept with my sweater, gloves, and socks on.  Under a quilt.  With the heater on.  In southern Louisiana.  Tonight, the forecast is 28F/-2C.

Chancy:  "Shorts", huh?

MrChancy:  Honey, I'm sorry for bringing you to this frigid wasteland.

Happy New Year!

-- from Chancy the Popsicle 🥶

I hear similar complaints from my kiwi, especially since it is 80f in Auckland these days!

I was so happy that Christmas in TN felt like Christmas in Manila. I was happily wearing shorts and T-shirts outside while people were complaining that it didn't feel like Christmas (heh).

Fast forward two weeks later, it's -1°C, snowing, and I'm in turtlenecks, woolly socks and grandma coats 24/7. 

Electric blankets are my new best friend. I absolutely detest getting into a cold bed, so I pre-warm the sheets and pillows with the electric blanket. Huge difference in quality of life. I also wear my Uniqlo Heattech bought in Manila to bed. Sobrang sulit heh

Edited by Adventine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife lived most of her wife in Siberia, and absolutely hates the cold.  She spent 10 days there visiting her mom and son back in 2016 where the temperature never got above -36C, now Michigan is a little warmer and more humid than Siberia, but we both have our eyes on the SW.  My only concern is the water resources which is not an issue in MI.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chancy said:

Before my husband and I got married, we had a conversation about where I want to live --

Chancy:  I'm ok with anywhere that is not a war zone and that has stable internet access.  But I can't stand the cold.

Future-MrChancy:  Ooh, you'll love it here in Louisiana!  It's so hot and humid, people wear shorts on Christmas!

Now, a month after I moved to the US, it's 30F/-1C.  Last night, I slept with my sweater, gloves, and socks on.  Under a quilt.  With the heater on.  In southern Louisiana.  Tonight, the forecast is 28F/-2C.

Chancy:  "Shorts", huh?

MrChancy:  Honey, I'm sorry for bringing you to this frigid wasteland.

Happy New Year!

-- from Chancy the Popsicle 🥶

We had 85 here in Dallas on Christmas Day. It was 75 on Saturday morning and sunk to 20 within 8 hours. Wife is wearing a parker to bed with the heat blasting. I had to sleep in the other room with the window open. Lol

Edited by Commish10

29 minutes ago, Commish10 said:

We had 85 here in Dallas on Christmas Day. It was 75 on Saturday morning and sunk to 20 within 8 hours. Wife is wearing a parker to bed with the heat blasting. I had to sleep in the other room with the window open. Lol

We felt that cold front come into Texas.  I'm further south where it was 88 on New Years day, but last night it was 27.

Chancy - I told my wife the same thing about living here in south central Texas.  It snowed two weeks after she got here. 

Finally done.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My Canadian butt likes the heat too. The temperature did a nose dive on Saturday. It pretty darn cold out there. I'm a fan of the electric blanket too, I've burned out 3 of them so far. 

One of my older boys just went out in shorts to get gas the weather says it's 33 out but feels like 29. Needless to say he doesn't think it's that cold yet.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

It's been pretty cold here too. My wife made me turn off the ceiling fan last night because it dropped to about 65 degrees.

First winter for my wife was in Grand Rapids.  She didn’t leave the house for three months.  The next summer I was transferred to Cincinnati, she took the kids to Philippines for three months that winter 😀

Since then she’s been fine with it even the bedroom ceiling fan is on at night (freezing me).  

Welcome to the south, y’all @Chancy @Adventine! Happy New Year and good luck to us titas of Manila! 🥶

I-130                                                                                   

23 Aug 2020: Filed I-130 online                                         
21 Oct 2020: I-130 approval                              

25 May 2021: Interview

5 June 2021: Entered the US

I-751

31 Mar 2023: Filed at Elgin lockbox

N-400             

9 Mar 2024: Filed online

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't worry @Chancy

Your not in the only one that is confused with the weather in the South.

My wife is from Libon, Albay. I asked what the weather was like there before I met her. She said they have 2 seasons; Hot and dry then hot and wet.

Here in Alabama we can have all 4 seasons in a 24 hour period. We have bought all sorts of jackets, hats and boots to keep her warm but she still dresses like she is at home. Shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops just don't cut it for all day wear in the South.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.