I751&waiting

Most & Least Educated States in America

26 posts in this topic

Seems to me red States lack priority or working for the people.

Deep Red states all rank as the least educated in the US yet they spend time on issues to CRT, abortion and other silly issues meanwhile they lag in education and health.   Texas has an abysmal record on child health and mortality.

Voting against their own interests.

https://wallethub.com/edu/e/most-educated-states/31075

FDB03C9A-26F4-4AE0-8146-AD81990BA9E8.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I always love these surveys.  So education level equals something I guess.  I know a lot of people that have advanced degrees that are not really very smart when it comes to the real world.  Btw, I thought the title of a thread was supposed to be the headline of the linked article/piece?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

38 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

I always love these surveys.  So education level equals something I guess.  I know a lot of people that have advanced degrees that are not really very smart when it comes to the real world.  Btw, I thought the title of a thread was supposed to be the headline of the linked article/piece?

I think that and baiting got addressed 

• Ban Hammer changed the title to Most & Least Educated States in America
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

Btw, I thought the title of a thread was supposed to be the headline of the linked article/piece?

fixed

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

3 hours ago, Dashinka said:

I am not as interested in education level as I am the performance of public schools in a given area. I am willing to bet the lowest ranking cities as far as public education goes are mostly blue cities. There are people that only have high school diplomas that make 6 figures and people with advanced degrees that cant even get a job at McDonald's. So education level doesn't mean a whole lot these days. However it does matter if you graduate high school or not.

Edited by jg121783

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

19 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

I am not as interested in education level as I am the performance of public schools in a given area. I am willing to bet the lowest ranking cities as far as public education goes are mostly blue cities. There are people that only have high school diplomas that make 6 figures and people with advanced degrees that cant even get a job at McDonald's. So education level doesn't mean a whole lot these days. However it does matter if you graduate high school or not.

I have a coworker with no hs diploma that made 200k last year

Timeline
16 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

I believe that those with advanced degrees make up more than 50% of the folks that have student loan debt.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, jg121783 said:

Median weekly earnings (in dollars) and unemployment rate (in percent) by educational attainment, 2017
Educational attainment Median usual weekly earnings Unemployment rate

Note: Data are for persons age 25 and over. Earnings are for full-time wage and salary workers.

Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current

Doctoral degree

$1,743 1.5%

Professional degree

1,836 1.5

Master's degree

1,401 2.2

Bachelor's degree

1,173 2.5

Associate degree

836 3.4

Some college, no degree

774 4.0

High school diploma, no college

712 4.6

Less than a high school diploma

520 6.5

Total

907 3.6

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Crtcl Rice Theory said:
Median weekly earnings (in dollars) and unemployment rate (in percent) by educational attainment, 2017
Educational attainment Median usual weekly earnings Unemployment rate

Note: Data are for persons age 25 and over. Earnings are for full-time wage and salary workers.

Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current

Doctoral degree

$1,743 1.5%

Professional degree

1,836 1.5

Master's degree

1,401 2.2

Bachelor's degree

1,173 2.5

Associate degree

836 3.4

Some college, no degree

774 4.0

High school diploma, no college

712 4.6

Less than a high school diploma

520 6.5

Total

907 3.6

Seems pretty obvious based on the sizes of each category, but I suppose it looks good, but shouldn't a doctorate be closer to 0% unemployment?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

These income figures need to deduct the cost of education to earn those degrees.  And not just the tuition, room, and board, but the interest paid on the loans, and the opportunity cost that the loan payments imposed.  

Financially higher education doesn’t make senses. I believe  highly degreed workers with high debts become highly embittered and blame Reagan and Trump for their bad decisions.  

Financially becoming a medical doctor doesn’t work out for most.  Instead they could have gone to school for 2 years in a CC, 2 years in a state “directional” university, earned a computer science degree and cranked out code at Google or Amazon for $500,000 a year and no debt.  

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

These income figures need to deduct the cost of education to earn those degrees.  And not just the tuition, room, and board, but the interest paid on the loans, and the opportunity cost that the loan payments imposed.  

Financially higher education doesn’t make senses. I believe  highly degreed workers with high debts become highly embittered and blame Reagan and Trump for their bad decisions.  

Financially becoming a medical doctor doesn’t work out for most.  Instead they could have gone to school for 2 years in a CC, 2 years in a state “directional” university, earned a computer science degree and cranked out code at Google or Amazon for $500,000 a year and no debt.  

I know IT, and I know very few coders making 500k, even when factoring in stocks options with startups.  Certain skills in AI and data science are hot now, but those are advanced degree or a bs with years of experience. I am not sure where you get your data from, you must not work in IT. 

Edited by Crtcl Rice Theory

9 minutes ago, Crtcl Rice Theory said:

I know IT, and I know very few coders making 500k, even when factoring in stocks options with startups.  Certain skills in AI and data science are hot now, but those are advanced degree or a bs with years of experience. I am not sure where you get your data from, you must not work in IT. 

I knew a guy that had advanced masters from Ga. Tech in IT. He made about 225K and that is a very elite degree. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Crtcl Rice Theory said:

I know IT,

Likewise. 

and I know very few coders making 500k, even when factoring in stocks options with startups.

My knowledge differs from yours, but then again I don’t known what vague phrases like   “very few” mean

Certain skills in AI and data science are hot now, but those are advanced degree or a bs with years of experience. I am not sure where you get your data from, you must not work in IT. 

Started off as a Unix kernel developer in 1985. Retired in 2021. Teamblind, levels.fyi are pretty accurate. They show average numbers. Some people aren’t average.  Anyone who can finish med / law school and pass residency / bar isn’t average. Software is  just code. 

I was once at a going away dinner for a coworker. At the dinner former coworkers from a company we both worked at were also there.  One of whom asserted that jobs in the valley earning $400K total compensation (TC) didn’t really exist and he interviewed outside to prove it.  I held my tongue as I knew the young lady going away with 5 years less experience was heading to a new job earning $600K total compensation.  

The high pay is there, but you have get the interview (she knew someone) and you have to prepare (which she did, bugging me every day for a month for a new algorithm or design problem to solve).  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
54 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I knew a guy that had advanced masters from Ga. Tech in IT. He made about 225K and that is a very elite degree. 

Yeah but Ga Tech. it's not like he went to U of Alabama or a real  skool. :jest: