8 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hey all! Hope you're all doing well!

I am twenty three years old and happily married to my wife who,as you may have guessed by me joining this forum is a US citizen,  however am Canadian 

I would love by all means to be able to love with her in the United States however my medical history concerns me , I as a teen had been in and out of voluntary psych wards at my local hospital due to self harm and a suicide attempt,  I've been four years clean now from any of that behavior   I am not medicated nor do I see a psychiatrist, never needed follow ups o just sort of took life by the horns and made the changes necessary to get out of that loop.

Here I had thought that I left that past buried behind me now come to find out it has a possibility of keeping me from living in the ISA with my wife? I am not sure how I would explain my situation nor if my family doctor would be able to write a note in support as I haven't ever had regular visits with her (  year or so gaps at a time) .

I'm not sure where to go with this ,I'm quite nervous to be honest. I won't lie at all during the medical obviously as that would be an even worse decision I just need advice on what to do. 

To my knowledge I've never been formally diagnosed with anything.  And was only ever in the past a risk to myself never others in any way shape or form.

Any advice is extremely appreciated. 

Hope you all and your families are well.

You could disclose the whole situation to the physician during your medical and they will decide on what is next.

Ideally you should have a formal diagnosis; in lack thereof, get a letter from your family doctor to present at the medical examination.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you saw a therapist or phycologist when you were younger getting reports from them would be helpful to your new doctor.

For your visa medical they want a detail medical history, with mental health situations they want to see the magic words that you are no longer a risk to yourself or to others. If you can see your family doctor and you can discuss your past with her she may be willing to right you a letter when the time comes. You don't want to wait for the last minute to ask her but you don't need this right now. It seems like you are just now looking into things. Has your wife filed anything yet? If not you would have plenty of time to meet with your doctor for her to evaluate you herself and be able to write that letter you need. 

All in itself you wouldn't be bared from entry but may need extra steps for the medical if they are not satisfied with your doctors assessment. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread move to IR1/CR1 P&P, from Progress Reports~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Syndel said:

Hey all! Hope you're all doing well!

I am twenty three years old and happily married to my wife who,as you may have guessed by me joining this forum is a US citizen,  however am Canadian 

I would love by all means to be able to love with her in the United States however my medical history concerns me , I as a teen had been in and out of voluntary psych wards at my local hospital due to self harm and a suicide attempt,  I've been four years clean now from any of that behavior   I am not medicated nor do I see a psychiatrist, never needed follow ups o just sort of took life by the horns and made the changes necessary to get out of that loop.

Here I had thought that I left that past buried behind me now come to find out it has a possibility of keeping me from living in the ISA with my wife? I am not sure how I would explain my situation nor if my family doctor would be able to write a note in support as I haven't ever had regular visits with her (  year or so gaps at a time) .

I'm not sure where to go with this ,I'm quite nervous to be honest. I won't lie at all during the medical obviously as that would be an even worse decision I just need advice on what to do. 

To my knowledge I've never been formally diagnosed with anything.  And was only ever in the past a risk to myself never others in any way shape or form.

Any advice is extremely appreciated. 

Hope you all and your families are well.

Here is some information on what to expect from an examination from a panel physician re: mental health:

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/mental-health.html#mental-health-examination

I don't know what questions will be asked, but answer truthfully and only provide the information you are asked for and you should be fine. 

Take good care of yourself.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

You should also make sure that any discussion about your stays in psychiatric facilities emphasize the word "voluntary".  Other things in the United States make a distinction between voluntary and involuntary stays. 

Be sure and be up front that all of your visits were voluntary.

Good luck.

Vicky's Mom

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You have received some very good advice here on what to do, especially from @Ontarkie, so I don't have much more to add on that front.

Just wanted to say, please don't be disheartened. There have been many applicants in the past who have similar medical history and still managed to get through the medical process for the visa just fine with that letter from their family doctor. Looks like you have not filed the i130 yet, so there is a long way to go before you have to go to your medicals. That gives you lots of time to do what's necessary to get that letter in hand.

Good luck!

So with that history as said before you may need a note from ur dr. If you have been clear no issues ect for 12 months one year you are good to go.  “Applicants treated or hospitalized for psychiatric or mental illness or alcohol or drug abuse must present written certification including the diagnosis, duration of treatment rendered, and prognosis.” if you went to the hospital ur dr has all the past records on file. The very worst case thing that can happen is the dr may want you to go see there shrink. If you want to really dive into the background of it, it’s all on the cdc website :) all the steps the drs need to take ect. I mean depression is on that list too lol and I’m sure most of us waiting 3 plus years have all been threw that. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.