ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, BornOnAThursday said:

I've been lurking this forum for a few days. My family is in a similar situation...

My mother won the 2022 Diversity visa and went for her interview with my younger sister (under 21) in Montreal on March 17, 2022. Apparently everything went smoothly and they gave them a 221g because they needed police certificates with fingerprints from RCMP (the one they had were from Toronto police and they didn't check fingerprints). Anyways, we sent these documents to the consulate on April 8 and we haven't heard back. The immigration officer said during the interview that everything looked good and that they only needed the police certificates to issue the visa so I don't know why they are taking so long. Furthermore, the CEAC status shows "Ready", as in ready for interview which is strange because they already had their interview. Last case update was on May 17.

The reason we are so anxious is because my younger sister is turning 21 on July 31 and she will lose her opportunity to immigrate if she doesn't get her visa before her birthday. We sent an email to the consulate about this last Thursday and they haven't replied to that. Not to mention, my mother needs to have her visa approved and immigrate before September 30th 2022 or she will lose her opportunity as well. We don't have any family in the US so we don't have the option of involving a senator.

I see some posts about WOM but I think they only work on cases that have been in AP for 6+ months. Unfortunately, we don't have that much time and it's only been 2 months since we submitted the requested documents. To me, seems like keep emailing and hoping for the best in our only option. Is there anything else we can do? How long does it usually take for them to respond to emails? 

Hey there! It seems to take a varied time for the consulate to respond, some people say a few days, others weeks (I have had emails go unanswered). You could wait for it, but if it’s pressing it might be good to consult a lawyer. Consultations are usually free and they might have better info to give you for your specific case. Previously it seemed like folks who were missing documents were moved along faster than people hit with the ds5535, but AP is a wild beast. I’m so sorry you are stuck in this with us, I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. 

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Got the dreaded email for DS-5535 yesterday, I have been living in US for last 11 years (7 on F1 and 4 on H1b), have an apt, car, pay for all my things, have Bachelor and a master's from US, worked for 2 large companies, been here 11 years. I have been in admin processing twice before both times for my F1 visa but for my H1b the first time was quick and smooth.

Went to Ottawa may 31 to get my h1b stamp renewed (which I did back in 2019 and it took 10 days to get back but only gave me a 1 year visa)

Was told my visa was approved and will get it in 1-2 weeks and they kept the passport, but a day letter sent the email. Just reading through this forum it seems like most likey it will take a few months to process anything, so I won't be able to stay in Canada.

Can some tell me the process for asking my passport back because if I don't hear back in a week I am most likely gonna go back to my home country (Pakistan) and wait it out and hopefully don't lose my job....

Edited by talkingreckless

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

For those of you who DM'd regarding the group WOM Q&A, I started a group message.  I just posted the Q&A link for question submissions there and the Zoom link will be posted at some point tomorrow.  I noticed that some of you haven't read the one for this morning, so if you haven't checked your inbox today, please do so.  If you for some reason can't see the group message, please let me know and I can send it to you directly.

Timeline

So sorry to hear that @talkingreckless. It is so unsettling how they can disrupt so many people's lives like this without the smallest amount of transparency or compassion.

Use the public inquiry form and select "passport returns" in the drop down.  From what I see on a Montreal consulate FB group it takes anywhere from 1-2 weeks for them to return your passport upon submission of this form.

Good luck!

https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy.../public-inquiry-form/

Timeline

All details for tomorrow's Q&A Zoom have been DM'd to you.  It is tomorrow starting at 11:00 AM EST until 12:00PM EST.  Changed from 12-1.  

Please remember to submit any questions you have through the form before the meeting. 

Timeline
35 minutes ago, LAMA9 said:

All details for tomorrow's Q&A Zoom have been DM'd to you.  It is tomorrow starting at 11:00 AM EST until 12:00PM EST.  Changed from 12-1.  

Please remember to submit any questions you have through the form before the meeting. 

thank you for setting this up Lama!

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Bill22 said:

Hey guys I have submitted my DS5535 back in January and have been waiting since. 

I am really considering getting a lawyer and seeing what they can do to help (if they can help speed it up at all).

Any suggestions as to which law firm would be best? I am a Canadian citizen. 

Hi @Bill22- welcome.

not sure if you read the above posts but there is a WOM group suit webinar tomorrow if you are interested.  I will DM you the info.  Hacking Law and Goldstein Law seem to be the most popular on these sights for WOM, but many, many lawyers do them.  I had reached out to Hacking last week and they wouldn't take a K1 DS-5535 at this time, but not sure of your case specifics.  

A few people on here are using Josh Goldstein right now - I have my second call with them tonight.  

2 hours ago, herecomestherain said:

Meanwhile on K-1 groups, people are jumping for joy and getting their visas at breakneck speeds. Most of these people have applied long after we have. I am happy for them, don't get me wrong. But it is hard not to be jealous, let's be honest.

I’m just catching up - are you saying that the trend for DS 5535 at Montreal skews towards a certain visa class? 

10 minutes ago, Throwitaway1988 said:

I’m just catching up - are you saying that the trend for DS 5535 at Montreal skews towards a certain visa class? 

No, it’s just the group I am a part of because I have a K-1 visa.

Timeline

submitted my passport return request last Monday. No email or acknowledgment email so far. Really hoping to hear something this week

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

Timeline
50 minutes ago, BatmanFlow said:

submitted my passport return request last Monday. No email or acknowledgment email so far. Really hoping to hear something this week

Did you use the drop down in the public inquiry form?  I read that is the preferred and fastest method.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, LAMA9 said:

Did you use the drop down in the public inquiry form?  I read that is the preferred and fastest method.

yes drop down and selected "passport return" option. didnt hear anything so far

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.