Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
14 hours ago, mike_b2020 said:

Another question on crossing, any issues doing it with a family member (Canadian citizen) or is it advised to go on your own?

Also if going with your own vehicle will the border request you to also do the vehicle import or is it optional/can do it another time?

The immigrating spouse will be treated as an immigrant.  Any other accompanying persons will be treated on their own merit.  If they are trying to cross legally for legitimate purposes, they will not hinder the process.

The border agent should ask if you are importing the vehicle.  There are no wrong answers.  "No,"  "Yes,"  "Later,"  or "Maybe someday" are all correct responses, and the agent will proceed accordingly.

Timeline
17 hours ago, kkeys said:

Hello Everyone! 

I will be crossing in about 2 weeks from now, I was just looking up some info and read about a 220$ 'USCIS immigrant fee' ... Is this something I'm supposed to pay ahead of time? It mentioned needing an alien number which I don't think I have yet, do I? Did I already pay this before during my NVC stage or during the initial filing? 

The USCIS immigrant fee needs to be paid before the green card will be mailed.  You do not need to pay it before crossing.  If you do not pay, it will not hinder you from getting your visa stamped, and it will not hinder you from getting your SSN.  However, YOUR GREEN CARD WILL NOT BE MAILED UNTIL THE IMMIGRANT FEE HAS BEEN PAID.

I got my IV issued in December and was flying to the US this week for personal reasons but didn't want to officially cross as a resident and activate my Green Card yet (still haven't finalized the details of the move). I asked the Customs officer at the airport to not activate my GC but he insisted that the system wouldn't let me enter on a vistor's visa instead and did it anyways. However, he didn't stamp my IV in my passport and said they no longer do that. So now I'm confused about my status- how do I know if my GC was actually active and that I'm officially a resident? I was under the impression that the stamp serves as a temp GC until the real one arrives.

Did anyone cross recently? Did you get stamped?

Timeline
1 hour ago, lalalulu said:

I got my IV issued in December and was flying to the US this week for personal reasons but didn't want to officially cross as a resident and activate my Green Card yet (still haven't finalized the details of the move). I asked the Customs officer at the airport to not activate my GC but he insisted that the system wouldn't let me enter on a vistor's visa instead and did it anyways. However, he didn't stamp my IV in my passport and said they no longer do that. So now I'm confused about my status- how do I know if my GC was actually active and that I'm officially a resident? I was under the impression that the stamp serves as a temp GC until the real one arrives.

Did anyone cross recently? Did you get stamped?

It is definitely possible to get your green card even if the visa is not stamped (that happened to me in July).  The border agent had insisted that he was entering me on a B-2 visitor visa.  Then I received some mail, the SSN and later the green card after the immigrant fee was paid. When I returned later to the same border for official immigration, they had head scratching to do.  They stamped the passport and told me the date the passport was stamped was my official immigration date.  However, the green card still has the earlier date.  I hope that won't cause headache down the road, but I have no idea how to correct it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/16/2023 at 6:25 PM, oscarrifici said:

Do we need W2 for 2022 if my scheduled interview is on Feb?

nope

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

I am a canadian citizen, living in canada for 20 years, originally born in egypt. I had my immigrant visa interview for CR1 visa back in October 2022 at US consulate in Montreal. I was given 221g and DS5535 same day. Officer kept my passport and asked for my resume. 
I work as an engineer.

DS5535 and resume had been sent next day of the interview. It has been now 3 month (including weekends and holidays) and status showing refused however the date has changed 4 times

Any idea how long the process will take to complete and when to expect hearing back from the embassy?

I have read that medical is good for 2 years now, can anyone confirm.

Thanks

4 hours ago, CAN_VISA said:

I am a canadian citizen, living in canada for 20 years, originally born in egypt. I had my immigrant visa interview for CR1 visa back in October 2022 at US consulate in Montreal. I was given 221g and DS5535 same day. Officer kept my passport and asked for my resume. 
I work as an engineer.

DS5535 and resume had been sent next day of the interview. It has been now 3 month (including weekends and holidays) and status showing refused however the date has changed 4 times

Any idea how long the process will take to complete and when to expect hearing back from the embassy?

I have read that medical is good for 2 years now, can anyone confirm.

Thanks

What age did you leave Egypt? Did you live there as an adult?

Did you ever have issues entering the US etc? 

44 minutes ago, CAN_VISA said:

I left when i was 21 yrs old.

i never denied entry to US, i travelled to US more than 20 times through my entire life

Ok, delay is likely due to verification of the Egyptian police certificate. I would contact the embassy.

Did the officer ask anything at the interview regarding your time in Egypt etc..?

Edited by ShawnK

7 minutes ago, CAN_VISA said:

I have already submitted the egyptian police record to the embassy. It took me 3 month to get it.

do you mean that they send to egypt to verify and check?

Correct, they are probably just double checking your Egyptian certificate. Did they give you any other form to fill out or anything? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.