Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I see, and was this expedite from NVC or Montreal?

The approval email was from the NVC and said something along the lines of: 'The Montreal Embassy is willing to expedite your interview once all your documents have been reviewed'. We then confirmed with the embassy that we were indeed on track for an expedited interview. But our delays are the same as unexpedited interviewees. I have messaged the embassy to see if it's a mistake but I doubt it. They don't seem to be taking the expedited process seriously even when it relates to a life-threatening condition. 

Timeline
35 minutes ago, SamuelR said:

The approval email was from the NVC and said something along the lines of: 'The Montreal Embassy is willing to expedite your interview once all your documents have been reviewed'. We then confirmed with the embassy that we were indeed on track for an expedited interview. But our delays are the same as unexpedited interviewees. I have messaged the embassy to see if it's a mistake but I doubt it. They don't seem to be taking the expedited process seriously even when it relates to a life-threatening condition. 

I see. AFAIK Normally expedites for interview are requested by emailing Montreal, not NVC. This is the first time I am hearing of NVC communicating an expedite approval on behalf of Montreal. When Montreal approves an expedite they schedule it for the very first slot of the very next month. In your case, you DQ’d (I think) just after interview letters were sent in April for interviews in May. So if Montreal had approved your expedite (directly) you should have been on the roster for May IL issuance (June interview). You appear to be delayed by a month, which might be because of the delay of communication from NVC to Montreal (which sucks ofcourse, but that’s how these agencies run).

Regardless, the way cases are going right now for IR1/CR1 at Montreal, there is no backlog. 7 months ago, people were waiting 12 months from DQ for an interview letter. Now it is 1 to 2 months. So expedite does not make much of a difference (if any) in current context, when people are being scheduled so quickly anyway.

Edit - I reread your post and realised MTL confirmed by email that you were on the track to expedite. If this email is from before you DQ’d then yes, it appears to be an oversight on their part. You should have interviewed in June.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline

How long will it take for the consulate to verify an additional document and return her passport with the visa after the interview? My wife had her interview on Friday June 10. They did not accept my petitioner court signed divorce order and wanted a state provided divorce certificate. The agent said to send the certificate and they will issue the visa. The agent said she does not need to come back in person and the agent kept her Canadian passport. The consulate received the divorce certificate today at the office in MTL. How long will it take to verify the one document certificate and send the passport back? It seems strange the consulate would keep her passport for weeks or months, because it doesn't seem right they could keep a Canadian passport for very long, right? Anyone have experience with this? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, ToddD said:

How long will it take for the consulate to verify an additional document and return her passport with the visa after the interview? My wife had her interview on Friday June 10. They did not accept my petitioner court signed divorce order and wanted a state provided divorce certificate. The agent said to send the certificate and they will issue the visa. The agent said she does not need to come back in person and the agent kept her Canadian passport. The consulate received the divorce certificate today at the office in MTL. How long will it take to verify the one document certificate and send the passport back? It seems strange the consulate would keep her passport for weeks or months, because it doesn't seem right they could keep a Canadian passport for very long, right? Anyone have experience with this? 

I merged your questions with the Montreal mega thread. Best to keep Montreal related questions to the Canada forum, as ppl who are not familiar with Montreal will not give the best answers.

Ontarkie

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
12 minutes ago, ToddD said:

Usually about 45-60 days. Could be shorter if you are unlucky, or longer if you are lucky. There was someone here recently who was still waiting for about 6 months, but that is extreme…

Unfortunately Montreal appears to shelve cases that have missing documents at the interview, and processes them at their own  random pace…

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
3 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Usually about 45-60 days. Could be shorter if you are unlucky, or longer if you are lucky. There was someone here recently who was still waiting for about 6 months, but that is extreme…

Unfortunately Montreal appears to shelf cases that have missing documents at the interview, and processes them at their own  random pace…

Do they provide any status updates or communication? I only know it was delivered from the UPS tracking. They have her passport and seems almost illegal the US Consulate can keep a passport for months and impact her ability to travel for their random pace. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, ToddD said:

Do they provide any status updates or communication? I only know it was delivered from the UPS tracking. They have her passport and seems almost illegal the US Consulate can keep a passport for months and impact her ability to travel for their random pace. 

Unfortunately not. You can email them, but chances are you will get a standard, canned response essentially saying they will get to it when they get to it.

Regarding hampering ability to travel, you can ask for your passport back and they will send it to you. Then ask it back when they are ready to issue the visa, but all of that will just add extra time. So best to just leave it be. Maybe you will get lucky and get the visa approved within a week or two. That happens often as well.

It isn’t illegal for them to keep your passport, because they will give it to you if want it. They are keeping it to be able to stamp your visa once it is processed. Montreal has kept people’s passport for even 9 months before… I know of consulates around the world that even keep it for years should you not ask for it back. But again your case would likely not fall under these as those are DS-5535 cases. 

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
55 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Unfortunately not. You can email them, but chances are you will get a standard, canned response essentially saying they will get to it when they get to it.

Regarding hampering ability to travel, you can ask for your passport back and they will send it to you. Then ask it back when they are ready to issue the visa, but all of that will just add extra time. So best to just leave it be. Maybe you will get lucky and get the visa approved within a week or two. That happens often as well.

It isn’t illegal for them to keep your passport, because they will give it to you if want it. They are keeping it to be able to stamp your visa once it is processed. Montreal has kept people’s passport for even 9 months before… I know of consulates around the world that even keep it for years should you not ask for it back. But again your case would likely not fall under these as those are DS-5535 cases. 

After the consulate agent approves and sends the passport with the visa back to Vancouver, is there a notification? Curious how we will be notified that it is completed and on the way. 

Timeline
28 minutes ago, ToddD said:

After the consulate agent approves and sends the passport with the visa back to Vancouver, is there a notification? Curious how we will be notified that it is completed and on the way. 

My wife received email from U.S. DOS Visa system with subject "U.S. DoS Visa system return travel document shipment notice". Another email receive from Purolator with the subject "Purolator PIN/NIC (tracking number) - A shipment has been created"

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

Filing type: Online

Service Center: National Benefit Center

Local Field Office: San Bernardino CA

Date Filed N400: 06/2019

Biometrics Appt.: 07/2019 (25 days)

Interview Date: 01/2020 (6.5 months)

Oath & naturalization: 06/2020 (11.5 months)

:joy:Finally & Officially a U.S. Citizen! :dancing:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, ToddD said:

Did you register your appointment and select the method by which you want the passport returned (Canada Post or courrier) as per the instructions when you received your interview letter?  If so, then you will be notified with tracking.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

4 hours ago, ToddD said:

They have her passport and seems almost illegal the US Consulate can keep a passport for months and impact her ability to travel for their random pace. 

It is not "illegal."   All she has to do is to request it back from the consulate.

Timeline
9 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I see. AFAIK Normally expedites for interview are requested by emailing Montreal, not NVC. This is the first time I am hearing of NVC communicating an expedite approval on behalf of Montreal. When Montreal approves an expedite they schedule it for the very first slot of the very next month. In your case, you DQ’d (I think) just after interview letters were sent in April for interviews in May. So if Montreal had approved your expedite (directly) you should have been on the roster for May IL issuance (June interview). You appear to be delayed by a month, which might be because of the delay of communication from NVC to Montreal (which sucks ofcourse, but that’s how these agencies run).

Regardless, the way cases are going right now for IR1/CR1 at Montreal, there is no backlog. 7 months ago, people were waiting 12 months from DQ for an interview letter. Now it is 1 to 2 months. So expedite does not make much of a difference (if any) in current context, when people are being scheduled so quickly anyway.

Edit - I reread your post and realised MTL confirmed by email that you were on the track to expedite. If this email is from before you DQ’d then yes, it appears to be an oversight on their part. You should have interviewed in June.

Our expedite from MTL was through NVC last month, that MTL approved.  MTL said they will expedite it once DQ. 

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 6/3/2022 at 12:45 PM, mam521 said:

Our case was similar - hubs got his citizenship while in the process.  Just fill out the timeline as IR/CR-1 and put a note in the comments.  I think it helps to know there are a few people that "upgrade" petitions and it would be nice to know if they were upgraded at USCIS stage or NVC.  In my case, we were still at the USCIS stage.  Regardless, I had Kid1 and Kid2 to contend with, so the "upgrade" meant having to fill in I-130's for each child because they were initially derivatives on the F2 application and request expedites to catch their petitions up to mine.  

Did you handle the expedite on your own, or was it through an attorney? Asking, because I need to do an expedite for my stepchild. We could not get him into the university and now my husband just DQ, and our sons I-130 is at USCIS. Just looking for direction and letter formatting if possible. Thanks in advance for the help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.