Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Quick question: My wife's immigrant visa in her passport is about to expire next month in Februrary. She has not received her actual green card yet. Do you all know who I should get in contact with in order to see why it is taking so long? 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Incrediblestan said:

Quick question: My wife's immigrant visa in her passport is about to expire next month in Februrary. She has not received her actual green card yet. Do you all know who I should get in contact with in order to see why it is taking so long? 

The expiration date is just the deadline to cross the US border and activate the LPR. I am guessing since she is waiting for her greencard she has already done that. So the expiration date is immaterial at this point. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

The expiration date is just the deadline to cross the US border and activate the LPR. I am guessing since she is waiting for her greencard she has already done that. So the expiration date is immaterial at this point. 

Thanks for the response. I don't quite understand what you mean by LPR. Just to be clear i'm talking about the IV expiration on her VISA in her passport. So what she did was fly out of toronto to the U.S. customs guy did their thing in toronto, stamped her passport and she flew her. She already received her social security number, just no card has come. She said the customs guy told her some stuff about expiration dates but of course she can't remember. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Incrediblestan said:

Thanks for the response. I don't quite understand what you mean by LPR. Just to be clear i'm talking about the IV expiration on her VISA in her passport. So what she did was fly out of toronto to the U.S. customs guy did their thing in toronto, stamped her passport and she flew her. She already received her social security number, just no card has come. She said the customs guy told her some stuff about expiration dates but of course she can't remember. 

LPR = Legal Permanent Resident.

When your wife interviewed at Montreal, and had her passport stamped, she was issued a CR1/IR1 visa. The IV expiration date is the deadline for her to cross the border for the first time. It is 6 months from the date of medicals. If you miss that deadline, your visa is no longer applicable and you have to interview again, do medicals again etc.

You wife did not miss the deadline. She crossed the border when she flew out of Toronto. As soon as she crossed the border her LPR was "activated." At that moment she was officially a legal permanent resident of the United States.

So that IV expiration date is no longer of any relevance to you.

What the CBP officer mentioned about expiration was probably referencing the line at the bottom of the visa stamp, "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residence for 1 Year."

Translation - The endorsement is the stamp your wife received at the airport when flying to US. From the date of this stamp (the date of her flight to the US) she can use this visa stamp as proof of being a permenent resident, for exactly 1 year. After that she will need her physical green card as proof. So if she flew to the US for the first time after the visa CR1/IR1 visa approval on Jan 1 2022, she doesn't need her greencard as proof until Jan 1 2023. The visa stamp is sufficient. Jan 2 2023 onwards, she needs the physical greencard.

I believe your wife only crossed the border late last year, so she has plenty of time to receive greencard. Read the FAQ, it generally takes several months.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

LPR = Legal Permanent Resident.

When your wife interviewed at Montreal, and had her passport stamped, she was issued a CR1/IR1 visa. The IV expiration date is the deadline for her to cross the border for the first time. It is 6 months from the date of medicals. If you miss that deadline, your visa is no longer applicable and you have to interview again, do medicals again etc.

You wife did not miss the deadline. She crossed the border when she flew out of Toronto. As soon as she crossed the border her LPR was "activated." At that moment she was officially a legal permanent resident of the United States.

So that IV expiration date is no longer of any relevance to you.

What the CBP officer mentioned about expiration was probably referencing the line at the bottom of the visa stamp, "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residence for 1 Year."

Translation - The endorsement is the stamp your wife received at the airport when flying to US. From the date of this stamp (the date of her flight to the US) she can use this visa stamp as proof of being a permenent resident, for exactly 1 year. After that she will need her physical green card as proof. So if she flew to the US for the first time after the visa CR1/IR1 visa approval on Jan 1 2022, she doesn't need her greencard as proof until Jan 1 2023. The visa stamp is sufficient. Jan 2 2023 onwards, she needs the physical greencard.

I believe your wife only crossed the border late last year, so she has plenty of time to receive greencard. Read the FAQ, it generally takes several months.

You are a scholar and a gentlemen! I appreciate your feedback. I read that at the bottom of her visa and I figured much. Sadly, I couldn't be there with her when she crossed but its all clear. I apprecaite your help once again

28 minutes ago, canuckchic said:

Smooth process this morning!

8:10AM - Showed up and lined up on the street for my 9AM appointment (4th person in line at the time)

8:50 - Let in the door at security and did the usual security stuff and locked up my phone/watch

8:55 - Done security and head upstairs

9:05 - Number is called for my 1st window visit

9:05 --> 9:10 - Hand over passport, original birth certificate, and original marriage certificate. Confirm some misc details (address, dob, etc..), and provide fingerprints

9:10 - Sit back down and wait for my number to be called again

9:45 - Number is called and I head up to a different window

9:45 --> 9:52 - Confirm details and answer the routine questions (what year did I meet me wife? what year did we get married? how did we meet? any children? my occupation? wife's occupation? joint sponsor? what is their occupation? where will you be living?)

After that, she did some clicking around and said she has everything she needs and that my Visa is approved. She then handed me  back my original documents (except the passport) and gave me a piece of paper that describes how to get a status update and tracking number on my passport being mailed back.

I was out the door at around 9:55AM.

Very smooth process and both ladies that I dealt with at the windows were extremely pleasant.

Just checked my status and it now says "Issued" and notes today as the update change date. 

Congratulations!

Did they ask and collect your police certificate(s), if any?

Btw, a general question for those who have already been interviewed:

What are all the documents you are suppose to take to the interview? We filed our I-130 online, so only have electronic proof instead of printed/physical (pics, chats, etc.) -- but can be printed. Should any of that proof be taken to the interview or is that obsolete after case is transferred to NVC?

I know of these (from here https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-10-prepare-for-the-interview/step-11-applicant-interview.html):

- Appointment Letter

- Passport

- 2 Photographs

- DS-260 Confirmation Page

- Supporting Docs Uploaded to CEAC (I-864 + Sponsor's Tax Info, Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Police Certificate(s), Proof of Legal Residence -- i.e. Work Permit)

Anything else I missed or recommended to take? I know it's better to be over-prepared for the interview.

2 hours ago, Temp_Xyz said:

Congratulations!

Did they ask and collect your police certificate(s), if any?

Btw, a general question for those who have already been interviewed:

What are all the documents you are suppose to take to the interview? We filed our I-130 online, so only have electronic proof instead of printed/physical (pics, chats, etc.) -- but can be printed. Should any of that proof be taken to the interview or is that obsolete after case is transferred to NVC?

I know of these (from here https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-10-prepare-for-the-interview/step-11-applicant-interview.html😞

- Appointment Letter

- Passport

- 2 Photographs

- DS-260 Confirmation Page

- Supporting Docs Uploaded to CEAC (I-864 + Sponsor's Tax Info, Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Police Certificate(s), Proof of Legal Residence -- i.e. Work Permit)

Anything else I missed or recommended to take? I know it's better to be over-prepared for the interview.

Yes, they did collect my police certificate! Forgot about that one..... They also took 1 of my passport photos at the 1st window.

Your list of documents looks good.

Timeline
17 hours ago, Booey_US_CA said:

If I got an email recently to upload documents I missed to NVC, do you think typically this means I may be document qualified soon?!

I am afraid that may be what is called a checklist. Once you submit the missing documents, you are put at the back of the line. I think they treat that date as the new submission date.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
11 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I am afraid that may be what is called a checklist. Once you submit the missing documents, you are put at the back of the line. I think they treat that date as the new submission date.

Aw man is that confirmed? Technically it looked like they were looking at my case early anyways based on the case log on their website. They're looking at September cases but my date was mid November

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Booey_US_CA said:

Aw man is that confirmed? Technically it looked like they were looking at my case early anyways based on the case log on their website. They're looking at September cases but my date was mid November

I had the same thing. Missed a document on the initial uploading, they asked for it and once it was submitted it was at the back of the line again. It was exactly the amount of time to process as was stated on the NVC timeline page. Some people have seen them done faster than that, but I would at least have the expectation it could be at the back of the line again. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.