2,964 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Demise said:

Respond to whoever you're in contact with from Sen. Durbin's office that you're inquiring about the status of your C09 EAD, receipt number [whatever is listed on the I-765 receipt notice]. They might need you to sign another privacy release. My guess is that you wrongly listed the receipt number from the I-360 or C31 I-765, and not the C09 I-765, or you listed both and the congressional liaison can't read.

The C9 vs C31 issue is the stuff of my nightmares since last year, and I am always ####### about getting receipt numbers right in my communications. I checked the emails I sent to Durbin's office, I only sent the C9 EAD renewal receipt number. And even if there was a mistake somewhere along the chain of people involved, it doesn't make sense that the EAD will be processed only after they process i485 as it states in the reply from USCIS. 

Divorced US citizen spouse in December 2017. 

Filed I-360 on Nov 12, 2019

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

Amended EAD petition to C9 and filed expedite request for same in mid-may 2020. 

C9 EAD approved June 4, 2020. 

Biometrics done in Oct 2020. 

I485 case transferred to NBC for "faster processing" on September 30, 2020

Filed C9 EAD / AP Renewal petition in February 2021. 

Initial Advance Parole (from Feb 2020 application) approved in June 2021. 

C31 EAD production update - Nov 1st, 2021. 

C31 card delivered to attorney's office on Nov 8, 2021. 

I-360 case approved status update - Nov 22, 2021. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

C9 EAD / AP renewal approval case update on both cases on July 21, 2022.

Combo card delivered to attorney's office on July 27, 2022

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/26/22: Case update on I485: New Card Is Being Produced

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

Timeline
Just now, shiva32 said:

The C9 vs C31 issue is the stuff of my nightmares since last year, and I am always ####### about getting receipt numbers right in my communications. I checked the emails I sent to Durbin's office, I only sent the C9 EAD renewal receipt number. And even if there was a mistake somewhere along the chain of people involved, it doesn't make sense that the EAD will be processed only after they process i485 as it states in the reply from USCIS. 

'Meticulous' is the word you see hashed out in my response. I actually used another impolite word that meant the same thing so it got hashed out. Sorry, I will go wash my mouth with soap. 

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

3 hours ago, shiva32 said:

Double check the privacy release form you signed anyways. But yeah, USCIS is being dumb because C09 Approval/Renewal only requires that I-485 be pending which only requires that I-360 be pending. If you put the right receipt number on the privacy release then ask the person from Sen. Durbin's office to press them because it makes no sense that an EAD based upon pending AOS can only be addressed after the AOS is already approved and you don't need an EAD anymore.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Demise said:

Double check the privacy release form you signed anyways. But yeah, USCIS is being dumb because C09 Approval/Renewal only requires that I-485 be pending which only requires that I-360 be pending. If you put the right receipt number on the privacy release then ask the person from Sen. Durbin's office to press them because it makes no sense that an EAD based upon pending AOS can only be addressed after the AOS is already approved and you don't need an EAD anymore.

Thank you Demise. Will proceed accordingly. 

No RFE throughout.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
18 hours ago, shiva32 said:

'Meticulous' is the word you see hashed out in my response. I actually used another impolite word that meant the same thing so it got hashed out. Sorry, I will go wash my mouth with soap. 

Lol 😂 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
On 10/24/2021 at 6:52 AM, Demise said:

It can happen, but it's only limited to you completely bombing your interview to the point that they will take a step back and let the VSC know that something's fishy in your case. Also, even in case like that USCIS won't outright revoke your petition. They will first send you a Notice of Intent to Revoke (NOIR), where they will ask you to correct whatever discrepancies like with an RFE or a NOID.

The mail will be sent to whatever address you put on the I-485. You can also attach a letter asking them to change your "Safe mailing address" to wherever you reside for the I-360. Do not use form AR-11.

Your lawyer will still receive a copy of whatever comes from the I-360 due to a G-28 on file. If you wish to fire the lawyer, you'll have to write to VSC that you're no longer being represented by this lawyer and they should no longer contact them regarding your case(s).

Why not send an AR-11? I changed my address trough AR-11 and online as well like 5-6 months ago. I am still not sure uscis updated my address, it is so frustrating and my congressman said he can't inquiry for the address check. what should i send them?

Timeline
2 hours ago, Fathada said:

@Demise @shiva32 good evening all. Please I have some questions. How do I sign for my kids on their I 485. Also, do I need to submit picture evidence of myself and my kids? Thank you all.

Screenshot_20211025-210405.png

Screenshot_20211025-210355.png

No RFE throughout.  

4 hours ago, Tulucitor said:

Why not send an AR-11? I changed my address trough AR-11 and online as well like 5-6 months ago. I am still not sure uscis updated my address, it is so frustrating and my congressman said he can't inquiry for the address check. what should i send them?

I've previously send a letter requesting an address change and AR-11 to VSC. Then I reached out to Sen. Klobuchar's office to see what's going on, and that's when they finally re-send my EAD to my new address. The response I got was among other things:

"Your constituent filed as an I-360 Self-Petitioning Spouse of Abusive U.S.C. or LPR (VAWA). Your constituent states she completed an AR-11 change of address. Unfortunately, Form AR-11 cannot be used to change the address on VAWA forms.

Given that this is a VAWA case, your constituent will need to provide a letter with an original signature that matches what we have on file. The letter will need to provide the new address, and state “this is my new Safe Address” or “I would like my new Safe Address to be ____”. You may submit a scanned copy of the signed/dated letter to the Vermont Service Center Congressional Unit. Also the letter needs to list the receipt number of the form(s) the change of safe address applies to or state all immigration matters. "

After that I guess they read my letter. USCIS is just bad with you sending them letters. Reading deeper into this, it looks like you can give a scan of the signed letter to the congressional staffer and have them forward it to the congressional liason who will give it to the VAWA unit of VSC.

3 hours ago, Fathada said:

@Demise @shiva32 good evening all. Please I have some questions. How do I sign for my kids on their I 485. Also, do I need to submit picture evidence of myself and my kids? Thank you all.

For children 14 or over they can must sign for themselves. For children under 14 you sign the form using your own signature and put something like "By: Jane Doe (mother)" next to your signature, where you replace "Jane Doe" with your name.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
41 minutes ago, Demise said:

I've previously send a letter requesting an address change and AR-11 to VSC. Then I reached out to Sen. Klobuchar's office to see what's going on, and that's when they finally re-send my EAD to my new address. The response I got was among other things:

"Your constituent filed as an I-360 Self-Petitioning Spouse of Abusive U.S.C. or LPR (VAWA). Your constituent states she completed an AR-11 change of address. Unfortunately, Form AR-11 cannot be used to change the address on VAWA forms.

Given that this is a VAWA case, your constituent will need to provide a letter with an original signature that matches what we have on file. The letter will need to provide the new address, and state “this is my new Safe Address” or “I would like my new Safe Address to be ____”. You may submit a scanned copy of the signed/dated letter to the Vermont Service Center Congressional Unit. Also the letter needs to list the receipt number of the form(s) the change of safe address applies to or state all immigration matters. "

After that I guess they read my letter. USCIS is just bad with you sending them letters. Reading deeper into this, it looks like you can give a scan of the signed letter to the congressional staffer and have them forward it to the congressional liason who will give it to the VAWA unit of VSC.

For children 14 or over they can must sign for themselves. For children under 14 you sign the form using your own signature and put something like "By: Jane Doe (mother)" next to your signature, where you replace "Jane Doe" with your name.

Thanks for your response. My case is transferred to my local office in Boston. Where should i send the Change of address letter? I will just copy your Example and sign it. Should i still send it to Vermont even though my Wava is approved for a over an year and awaiting interview scheduling at my local office?

Thank you

On 10/21/2021 at 9:33 PM, Sparkle said:

Mine was $40 total. Had all vaccinations in hand which I got done with primary care doc. Then immigration doc billed immigration exam

as “annual medical” to insurance. Try searching for doctors around you who do the same.

oh wow, thank you so much! 

Did you  search for a doctor who would do it for you?

Whenever I search for immigration doctor it seems like it is around $300 :( 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
54 minutes ago, hazel.60 said:

oh wow, thank you so much! 

Did you  search for a doctor who would do it for you?

Whenever I search for immigration doctor it seems like it is around $300 :( 

The trick is simple. Search for doctors who will accept insurance and bill your exam as annual medicals. You should have your up to date vaccinations done already then. It requires some research but they are there. Which city and state are you in? I can try searching for you. 

On 10/24/2021 at 5:52 AM, Demise said:

It can happen, but it's only limited to you completely bombing your interview to the point that they will take a step back and let the VSC know that something's fishy in your case. Also, even in case like that USCIS won't outright revoke your petition. They will first send you a Notice of Intent to Revoke (NOIR), where they will ask you to correct whatever discrepancies like with an RFE or a NOID.

The mail will be sent to whatever address you put on the I-485. You can also attach a letter asking them to change your "Safe mailing address" to wherever you reside for the I-360. Do not use form AR-11.

Your lawyer will still receive a copy of whatever comes from the I-360 due to a G-28 on file. If you wish to fire the lawyer, you'll have to write to VSC that you're no longer being represented by this lawyer and they should no longer contact them regarding your case(s).

I see, it's weird because I didn't receive interview notice yet and my status for I-360 approved vawa changed, I contacted congressman to see what is that update all about. 

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 hours ago, Fathada said:

You should print your child's name and write ""on behalf of minor" and sign.

Hi Fam! What are other ways to get a copy of the interview notice or just to know your schedule? I have sent VSC a letter about my address change, also did it online, reached out to my senator and district representative, called the USCIS hotline (obviously they couldn’t give me any info but i still tried). It’s been 2 weeks since USCIS sent me my interview notice and I’m really getting anxious now, I dont want to miss my interview. I’ve waited too long for this 😩😩😩 Any help pls???  @sandranj

Edited by MGJ_NY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.