R. Wolfe

Starting divorce before interview. What happens? [merged threads]

85 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, x3n said:

Oh right. I didn't think of the option of getting married while here, and THEN going home and doing a CR1 (instead of K1) visa. That's pretty low to come over here on a K1 visa with one guy and then use it to set up a CR1 with a different guy. I would hope (but not really expect) USCIS would frown on that sort of thing.

Marriages fail every day.  She might be questioned, but unless you prove fraud, USCIS will do nothing.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

13 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Can she divorce the OP, marry the new guy, then Adjust Status through her new spouse?? (I know it would a lot different before marriage)

From USCIS: 

If you do not marry your U.S. citizen petitioner, you generally cannot apply for a Green Card based on any other Green Card eligibility category. There are some limited exceptions. If you are granted U nonimmigrant status while in the United States (for victims of qualifying criminal activity) or T nonimmigrant status (for victims of a severe form of trafficking in persons), you may apply for a Green Card based on any eligibility category that applies to you. You may also depart the United States to seek a Green Card on a different basis.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-eligibility/green-card-for-fiancee-of-us-citizen

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kor2USA said:

From USCIS: 

If you do not marry your U.S. citizen petitioner, you generally cannot apply for a Green Card based on any other Green Card eligibility category. There are some limited exceptions. If you are granted U nonimmigrant status while in the United States (for victims of qualifying criminal activity) or T nonimmigrant status (for victims of a severe form of trafficking in persons), you may apply for a Green Card based on any eligibility category that applies to you. You may also depart the United States to seek a Green Card on a different basis.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-eligibility/green-card-for-fiancee-of-us-citizen

Thanks.....that applies before the marriage......what about after the marriage?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
19 minutes ago, x3n said:

I've also read that USCIS will punish both parties even if only one was committing marriage fraud - so I'm hesitant to make a big deal about it.

If you are complicit by action or inaction, then I believe yes, USCIS could flag you.  Best to submit something in writing to USCIS stating that you suspect the marriage was not entered in good faith and that you withdraw your support (I-864).  Document your non-involvement.

Also, I hope you have acquired a good divorce attorney.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

If you are complicit by action or inaction, then I believe yes, USCIS could flag you.  Best to submit something in writing to USCIS stating that you suspect the marriage was not entered in good faith and that you withdraw your support (I-864).  Document your non-involvement.

Also, I hope you have acquired a good divorce attorney.

Agree.  Once the I-485 is approved, it is too late.  The I-864 will be in full force.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I see a lot of incorrect answers, including Arlen etc. if you divorce it does not matter: if she came on K1 visa and you divorce BEFORE APS is approved, unless she files vawa and get approved, SHE HAS TO LEAVE. No other option. Just withdraw your support. This is all you need to do to send her packing. 

Edited by mari04

I submitted a request to withdraw the I-864 more than a month ago but haven't seen any evidence that it has been processed yet.

But as to the original question, as far as anyone knows there isn't a difference (as regards future petitions) between withdrawing an I-485 and having it denied due to a bad interview?

May as well request the withdraw then, as that would remove the stress of the AoS somehow being granted despite the divorce, evidence of illegal work, and all that.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
48 minutes ago, x3n said:

and the interview date is rapidly approaching

If your know the interview date or location where she will be interviewed, send a letter to that field office regarding your pending i864 withdrawal, marriage issues and pending divorce. In any case, if the interview is scheduled, she going by herself would very likely result in i485 denial. But sending a letter to the field office is important.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, arken said:

If your know the interview date or location where she will be interviewed, send a letter to that field office regarding your pending i864 withdrawal, marriage issues and pending divorce. In any case, if the interview is scheduled, she going by herself would very likely result in i485 denial. But sending a letter to the field office is important.

He has sent the letter, as he is hyper about it going for the interview would seem cheap insurance

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

He has sent the letter, as he is hyper about it going for the interview would seem cheap insurance

Yeah, not sure if he sent the withdrawal to NBC or a lockbox based on AOS filing address or the correct field office. Making sure he sends one to the field office.

Spouse:

Myself:

Yeah, I suppose I am more anxious than I should be. The legalese in that I-864 is pretty scary given my wife's actions and attitudes.
I have sent a withdrawal for the I-864 to field office.
I followed up with a letter containing evidence of her work (without authorization, and without reporting income).
I also reported the work to the ICE tip site some time ago - but nothing came of that and she's no longer working regardless.

I will explain to my wife how to send a withdrawal for the I-485 as she needs to do that herself and seems keen to do so (she believes it makes a difference to cancel vs be denied, which is what prompted my question).

I will plan to go to the interview. I expect that she will not. I will bring another copy of the I-864 withdrawal and work evidence in case they care.

Thanks for the help and advise everyone.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, mari04 said:

I see a lot of incorrect answers, including Arlen etc. if you divorce it does not matter: if she came on K1 visa and you divorce BEFORE APS is approved, unless she files vawa and get approved, SHE HAS TO LEAVE. No other option. Just withdraw your support. This is all you need to do to send her packing. 

What wrong!! OP was saying she may leave US and pursue another K1. I said she may stay, marry and start the spousal petition. Who can tell what she gonna do.

As said, she may or may not leave. Only ICE can make her leave, not any others.

Spouse:

Myself:

31 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Thanks.....that applies before the marriage......what about after the marriage?

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-b-chapter-7

Chapter 7 - Other Barred Adjustment Applicants

F. Nonimmigrant Admitted as Fiancé(e) of U.S. Citizen

A nonimmigrant fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen cannot adjust status except on the basis of the marriage to the U.S. citizen who filed a Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) (Form I-129F) on behalf of the fiancé(e). [14] Likewise, a child of the fiancé(e) may only adjust on the basis of his or her parent’s marriage to the U.S. citizen petitioner. [15] 

The terms of the nonimmigrant fiancé(e) status require that the nonimmigrant fiancé(e) marry the petitioner within 90 days after becoming a nonimmigrant. [16] Furthermore, if the nonimmigrant has not been married for two years or more at the time of adjustment, the nonimmigrant fiancé(e) and any children of the fiancé(e) may only obtain permanent residence on a conditional basis. [17] 

Marriage Legally Terminated

A nonimmigrant fiancé(e) who contracts a valid and bona fide marriage to the U.S. citizen petitioner within the requisite 90-day time period remains eligible to adjust status on that basis, even if the marriage is legally terminated (whether by death, dissolution, or divorce) prior to adjustment of status and regardless of whether the nonimmigrant fiancé(e) remarries thereafter.[18] The applicant remains subject to all conditional permanent residency requirements, if applicable. [19] 

I sent the I-864 withdrawal requests to both USCIS and the local field office (where our biometrics were done and where the interview is). Both were certified mail and I received delivery receipts for both. This was just over a month ago.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.