OntarioMan

Evidence to Interview without SSN

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello! I would like to know what to bring to my interview once I get it because I don't have an SSN. I have my name on the lease and I am registered as a beneficiary under my wife's health insurance alongside a copy of my most recent bill from my doctors appointment in august. My wife has her name on all of the utilities but I am an authorized user on the electric and internet bills, and my name is on the phone bill. I have my Canada Revenue Agency account updated with my most recent adress but since it isn't USA based idk if it matters. 

Since I can't be added to my wife's taxes, credit card and bank account without an SSN what else can I do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

what year did u marry?

AOS was February 2021 i believe?

so if married in 2021 ,  she will be married and needs to add u as spouse for this year (even without SS # , she follows IRS site for the ITIN)

if married in 2020,  she needs to amend those tax returns and add u /  she can wait till u have your SS#

but if u do not have one by spring tax time , you will need to apply for ITIN for 2021

An ITIN is a 9-digit number issued by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals who are required for U.S. federal tax purposes to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have and are not eligible to get a social security number (SSN).

Canada  ??? not so strict take your marriage certificate and utiliies that have your name, the lease,  the health insurance card with your name (u are not a beneficary on health insurance -it would be considered a family policy)

Timeline
11 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

what year did u marry?

AOS was February 2021 i believe?

so if married in 2021 ,  she will be married and needs to add u as spouse for this year (even without SS # , she follows IRS site for the ITIN)

if married in 2020,  she needs to amend those tax returns and add u /  she can wait till u have your SS#

but if u do not have one by spring tax time , you will need to apply for ITIN for 2021

An ITIN is a 9-digit number issued by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals who are required for U.S. federal tax purposes to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have and are not eligible to get a social security number (SSN).

Canada  ??? not so strict take your marriage certificate and utiliies that have your name, the lease,  the health insurance card with your name (u are not a beneficary on health insurance -it would be considered a family policy)

She filed taxes as head of household as we were married in 2020. Amending our taxes? And Its her married name on the health insurance card but I have a letter stating that I am on the health policy

Edited by OntarioMan

Timeline

you should have gotten your own ID card for health insurance  this u have to show each dr visit

and if married in 2020,  she needs to use 1040 x and amend those tax returns 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

you should have gotten your own ID card for health insurance  this u have to show each dr visit

and if married in 2020,  she needs to use 1040 x and amend those tax returns 

I have a health insurance card but it has her name on it I am just on her plan. I feel like I am misunderstanding I'm sorry. I tried to get an ssn card but they were closed when I arrived in the USA because of covid and I went in for my SSN appointment just for them to tell me I cant get it a few weeks later :(

Edited by OntarioMan

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 minutes ago, OntarioMan said:

She filed taxes as head of household as we were married in 2020. Amending our taxes? And Its her married name on the health insurance card but I have a letter stating that I am on the health policy

Why Head of Household? Someone married only has 2 options: Married filing Jointly or married filing separately. To file as head of household, someone must be considered unmarried at the end of the year and meet a couple other requirements. Since you came as a K1, highly doubt those requirements were met. But this is a IRS issue, not an immigration issue.

Take what you have to the interview. Not everyone are able to have joint bills, bank accounts. If the IO asks about it, explain the situation.

Timeline
Just now, OntarioMan said:

I have a health insurance card but it has her name on it I am just on her plan. I feel like I am misunderstanding I'm sorry

sorry,  but most insurance companies  list the name of the person on the card as ID for the dr office 

her card would be her card

a family policy that include her and u and other kids,  would have an ID card for each one

even my kids had their own card when on my policy

and for taxes she is MFJ or MFS as she is married now

Timeline
Just now, Ayrton said:

Why Head of Household? Someone married only has 2 options: Married filing Jointly or married filing separately. To file as head of household, someone must be considered unmarried at the end of the year and meet a couple other requirements. Since you came as a K1, highly doubt those requirements were met. But this is a IRS issue, not an immigration issue.

Take what you have to the interview. Not everyone are able to have joint bills, bank accounts. If the IO asks about it, explain the situation.

We filed that way through our accountant :/ we were just following that! I am just looking for suggestions outside of what I currently have cause I would like to make up the lack of a joint bank account and joint taxes

Timeline
Just now, JeanneAdil said:

sorry,  but most insurance companies  list the name of the person on the card as ID for the dr office 

her card would be her card

a family policy that include her and u and other kids,  would have an ID card for each one

even my kids had their own card when on my policy

and for taxes she is MFJ or MFS as she is married now

Not all insurances make cards with everyone's name. My previous insurance had my husband's name (he was the policy holder).

Timeline
2 minutes ago, OntarioMan said:

We filed that way through our accountant 😕 we were just following that! I am just looking for suggestions outside of what I currently have cause I would like to make up the lack of a joint bank account and joint taxes

Like I said, this is a tax issue. My suggestion is to change your accountant. You could have even filed jointly if they had filed a ITIN for you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Who told you that you can't be added to her bank account and credit cards without SSN? Have you tried to talk to a higher up at the bank and credit card companies?

But besides that you can always get POAs for each other and wills.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Who told you that you can't be added to her bank account and credit cards without SSN? Have you tried to talk to a higher up at the bank and credit card companies?

But besides that you can always get POAs for each other and wills.

The workers at the bank told us. We have and they just wont allow it, I have been persistent too.

Edited by OntarioMan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.