Vani & Henry

Divorce after green card

17 posts in this topic

Hi everybody am seeking advice for green card. Me and husband got married in Oct 2018 and we applied for the IR1 visa. I got my visa 10th March 2020 when covid hit. So I moved to California 12th of July 2020 and received my greencard date 07/12/20 through 07/12/30 which is 10yrs. I was thinking when you apply you get 2yrs then you apply again before the 90 days anniversary. So should send the paperwork again in April or if the greencard shows 10yrs am good .My friend from same country same amount of time she got a Conditional green card whereas I got a different. So my biggest issue is since I moved here I've been going through lots of emotional abuse as my husband has drinking problem. I had to leave the house and stand on the road couple of times as am scared he might hit me.. i had to go through counseling. We are not compatible at all so we might go for a divorce. What are my rights. Am not working I go to  school and I have no savings. I can't pay a lawyer. Will i lose my green card status? 

Thank you for helping me out 

14 minutes ago, Vani & Henry said:

Will i lose my green card status?

If you divorce then you'll be eligible for the divorce waiver. That waiver is commonly approved.

14 minutes ago, Vani & Henry said:

12th of July 2020

Since there is still time until July 2022 you should file Form I-90 for free ASAP: https://www.uscis.gov/i-90

Filing Fee

(D) My existing card has incorrect data because of DHS error.

Total $0

I recommend filing Form I-90 online.

Edited by HRQX

You are not good. You receive the 2 year conditional green card if at the time you entered the US you had been married for less than 2 years. Since you were married Oct 2018 and entered July 2020 you should not have received the 10 year green card. As stated above, you need to file the I90 ASAP in order to correct the error.

2 hours ago, Vani & Henry said:

Hi everybody am seeking advice for green card. Me and husband got married in Oct 2018 and we applied for the IR1 visa. I got my visa 10th March 2020 when covid hit. So I moved to California 12th of July 2020 and received my greencard date 07/12/20 through 07/12/30 which is 10yrs. I was thinking when you apply you get 2yrs then you apply again before the 90 days anniversary. So should send the paperwork again in April or if the greencard shows 10yrs am good .My friend from same country same amount of time she got a Conditional green card whereas I got a different. So my biggest issue is since I moved here I've been going through lots of emotional abuse as my husband has drinking problem. I had to leave the house and stand on the road couple of times as am scared he might hit me.. i had to go through counseling. We are not compatible at all so we might go for a divorce. What are my rights. Am not working I go to  school and I have no savings. I can't pay a lawyer. Will i lose my green card status? 

@Vani & Henry I am sorry that you are going through this. Stay strong. As others mentioned, you need to file the I-90. It should not cost you anything because it was USCIS' error. You can file it online. It is way faster. 

My best recommendation to you is that you start gathering evidence of bona fide marriage since the date of the marriage. Since you are thinking of divorce, then you want your petition to be solid. You have to prove that you entered the marriage in good faith. These cases are approved as others mentioned but you do need to do your due diligence and submit as much evidence of anything and everything since the date of the marriage.

I would start downloading statements from your joint bank account or anything that you think you may not have access to if you decide to take the divorce route. 

Here is a good example of a solid joint I-751 filing. Yours would be similar because you are showing that you entered the marriage in good faith. I would honestly start gathering everything before you even say that you want a divorce. 

All the best to you. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, Vani & Henry said:

I got screenshot of all the messages he wrote to other woman 

Focus more on gathering evidence that your marriage was bona fide, as you will need this for the I-751 removal conditions package even with a divorce waiver.  Collect documents that show you live in the same place, joint bank account statements since the date of marriage, utility bills, lease, etc., anything that you can find.  Put these documents in a safe place and then start on the divorce process which is separate from immigration.  Find a family law attorney and get to a safe place if you feel he may hurt you.  Good luck!

8 hours ago, Vani & Henry said:

I got screenshot of all the messages he wrote to other woman 

The screenshot won't help with immigration matters, but it will help in divorce proceedings.  With respect to any possible divorce - document, document, document.  Save evidence you find, if he is getting violent make sure you call the police and have it documented.  (Any violence may also come into play with immigration stuff, though I defer to the gurus on here for that.)  Please stay safe and take care of yourself!  If you cannot afford an attorney, you may be able to get one to take your case for free or on a sliding scale.  Check in with the legal help desk in your county courthouse.  

As far as green card matters - @USC4SPOUSE and @carmel34 have given excellent advice and I second their suggestions.

Good luck!!

Spoiler

Petitioner: USC | Applicant: B2 | (c)9 AOS (Marriage)

07/31/18: Filed I-130, I-130A

08/01/18: Delivered Potomac Processing Center

08/07/18: Text/Mail Notifications (for I-130)

08/14/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-130)

08/24/18: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-864

08/27/18: Delivered

08/31/18: Filed

09/04/18: Text Notifications (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/06/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/14/18: Biometrics letter rec'd

09/26/18: Biometrics appt completed

10/02/18: Ready for interview to be scheduled.

12/18/18: Form I-130 APPROVED!

01/27/19: EAD Approved and card being printed!

02/02/19: Combo card and SSN card arrived!

03/08/19: Text and online notification that interview has been scheduled.

04/16/19: Interview.  AOS approval text rec'd.  Card in production!

04/24/19: GC in hand! 

Removal of Conditions

Here we go!

02/10/21: I-751 package sent

02/12/21: Delivered to Phoenix, AZ

03/22/21: Money order cashed

03/24/21: Text notification rec'd

03/25/21: NOA rec'd

04/30/21: Case updated: Fingerprints taken

06/27/22: Approved!  Card being produced!

07/05/22: 10-year GC in hand!

4vrsm5.pngN3Zem6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
13 hours ago, Vani & Henry said:

So I moved to California 12th of July 2020 and received my green card date 07/12/20 through 07/12/30 which is 10yrs. So my biggest issue is since I moved here I've been going through lots of emotional abuse as my husband has drinking problem. I had to leave the house and stand on the road couple of times as am scared he might hit me.. i had to go through counseling. We are not compatible at all

Things sure went downhill fast. Get that green card corrected!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
10 hours ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

@Vani & Henry I am sorry that you are going through this. Stay strong. As others mentioned, you need to file the I-90. It should not cost you anything because it was USCIS' error. You can file it online. It is way faster. 

My best recommendation to you is that you start gathering evidence of bona fide marriage since the date of the marriage. Since you are thinking of divorce, then you want your petition to be solid. You have to prove that you entered the marriage in good faith. These cases are approved as others mentioned but you do need to do your due diligence and submit as much evidence of anything and everything since the date of the marriage.

I would start downloading statements from your joint bank account or anything that you think you may not have access to if you decide to take the divorce route. 

Here is a good example of a solid joint I-751 filing. Yours would be similar because you are showing that you entered the marriage in good faith. I would honestly start gathering everything before you even say that you want a divorce. 

All the best to you. 

Just a heads up that there’s nothing attached to this post.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

30 minutes ago, ra0010 said:

Just a heads up that there’s nothing attached to this post.

Thank you @ra0010

@Vani & Henry This is the example I was referring to. Scroll down to the second post. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

@Vani & Henry make sure that you stay safe. I would make that your top priority. If that means moving elsewhere, then consider that. 

You can find free or low cost legal help in your state. This website is just an example of many that exist. https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help 

I-751 Joint Filing.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 hours ago, Vani & Henry said:

Sorry that you're going through this.  I will admit my wife and I are on the rocks now because of the same situation.  Trying to make it through though.  Anyways, I hope everything works out for you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major FAmily Changes, from ROC - as similar threads are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.