24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

:

I have been an American citizen since 2019.
I couldn't get an US passport because of the pandemic. I had to come to my country urgently. And I have to return to America on July 26. Can i enter to US with my Turkish passport and Naturalization Certificate? Or what should i do ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't see naturalization certificates acceptable according to the CBP Carrier Guide (see link below).  I would contact the US consulate and see about getting a US passport.

Good Luck!

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/2019 Carrier Information Guide - ENGLISH.pdf

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/outside-us.html

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I agree with @Dashinka . Go get a US passport.  All US citizens must exit and enter the US with a US passport.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

32 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

I agree with @Dashinka . Go get a US passport.  All US citizens must exit and enter the US with a US passport.  

When I leave they didint tell me anything I leave with my foreign passport. They just ask for my citizenship certificate. That's it :( 😞

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Dennizgarza said:

When I leave they didint tell me anything I leave with my foreign passport. They just ask for my citizenship certificate. That's it :( 😞

Passengers don't process through immigration when leaving the US. 

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Dennizgarza said:

Yes, as @Lucky Catsaid, the US does not conduct exit immigration/passport control when leaving the US.  Since you do have your naturalization certificate with you, you should be able to get a passport in the consulate.  Since you mentioned you have a Turkish passport, I am going to assume you are in Turkey, if not, you will have to search for the consulate in the country you are in.

Good Luck!

https://tr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

1 minute ago, Dashinka said:

Yes, as @Lucky Catsaid, the US does not conduct exit immigration/passport control when leaving the US.  Since you do have your naturalization certificate with you, you should be able to get a passport in the consulate.  Since you mentioned you have a Turkish passport, I am going to assume you are in Turkey, if not, you will have to search for the consulate in the country you are in.

Good Luck!

https://tr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

Yes I am in Turkey now. I have a appointment at embassy next week for passport. Will see how long it's take.. I need to back to work asap I hope it's not take forever

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Dennizgarza said:

Yes I am in Turkey now. I have a appointment at embassy next week for passport. Will see how long it's take.. I need to back to work asap I hope it's not take forever

Their website is saying 2-3 weeks, so hopefully that works for you.

Good Luck!

47 minutes ago, Dennizgarza said:

So much information telling you you need a US passport to enter and exit. Didn’t they mention this at oath ceremony too? And since 2019 you haven’t done it? 
I would also contact embassy to get at least a boarding foil if cannot get passport abroad, carrier won’t board with you a naturalization certificate, they have no way of determining if it is genuine.

14 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

So much information telling you you need a US passport to enter and exit. Didn’t they mention this at oath ceremony too? And since 2019 you haven’t done it? 
I would also contact embassy to get at least a boarding foil if cannot get passport abroad, carrier won’t board with you a naturalization certificate, they have no way of determining if it is genuine.

I dont remember if they mentioned.  I got my citizenship certificate on November 2019 and i was super busy cuz of Christmas.  After that pandemic started and we were lockdown . There no way to get appointment that time. If I hadn't come here urgently i was going to apply anyways.  But too late now. I have to apply from my country . I dont know another way.  So why i was asking to you guys. 

20 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Also whats the boarding foil ?

40 minutes ago, Dennizgarza said:

I dont remember if they mentioned.  I got my citizenship certificate on November 2019 and i was super busy cuz of Christmas.  After that pandemic started and we were lockdown . There no way to get appointment that time. If I hadn't come here urgently i was going to apply anyways.  But too late now. I have to apply from my country . I dont know another way.  So why i was asking to you guys. 

Hm, I got my citizenship that month too and had passport before the pandemic, but anyway, stories like yours are good examples of why people should just get it done even when they think they won’t need it. Hopefully someone else doesn’t delay after reading this!

A boarding foil is a like a visa sticker that allows an airline to board you if you don’t have another valid way to show you have permission to enter the US. It is usually done  for LPRs with lost green cards but they might do it for you if they can’t get you a passport in a reasonable time… not sure if they would if you are already applying for a passport there (hadn’t seen that comment when I answered)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
20 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Hm, I got my citizenship that month too and had passport before the pandemic, but anyway, stories like yours are good examples of why people should just get it done even when they think they won’t need it. Hopefully someone else doesn’t delay after reading this!

A boarding foil is a like a visa sticker that allows an airline to board you if you don’t have another valid way to show you have permission to enter the US. It is usually done  for LPRs with lost green cards but they might do it for you if they can’t get you a passport in a reasonable time… not sure if they would if you are already applying for a passport there (hadn’t seen that comment when I answered)

But when you say such things people don't want to listen. So sometimes experience is the best teacher.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Boarding foils run about 500 US dollars also. I'm sure the passport will be less, but if money is no object.....

looks like 575, but you get it in 1-2 days.

Pay the fee for the I-131A online in ELIS *(see exception below) – The fee of $575.00 must be paid online prior to your appointment at the U.S. Consulate

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.