28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello VJ,

My wife got her Oath Ceremony Scheduled, but she wanted to know which photo they will mostly likely use for her Naturalization Certification.

The one from Bio metrics Appointment?

- They did not take her photo at the Naturalization Interview.

- They used old Bio metrics for N-400.

Question 1: Is there any way to change the photo, or is it  kinda too late for that?

Question 2: The 8 Questions on the last page of the Oath Ceremony Notice Letter, are you suppose to fill them out on the day of the ceremony and before you enter?

Question 3: Most offices give the naturalization certificate the same day as ceremony right?

Thank you.

Edited by GuruSikh

Question 1 - photo will be taken during the interview 

question 2 - complete it before you take your oath  (complete it ahead of time)

question 3 - they will hand you the certificate after the oath

After my interview, I had the same day oath. They used my photo from the last biometric when I did my renewal for my permanent resident card which was back in 2014. The certificate was already printed and ready to go when I got to my oath ceremony. The oath ceremony happened 10 minutes after my interview. I have no idea if there is an opportunity to have a new picture for the certificate since I had the same day oath ceremony as my interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, GuruSikh said:

My wife got her Oath Ceremony Scheduled, but she wanted to know which photo they will mostly likely use for her Naturalization Certification.

The one from Bio metrics Appointment?

Usually the one taken at the interview.  It can be the one from the biometric appointment. 

4 hours ago, GuruSikh said:

- They did not take her photo at the Naturalization Interview.

Unusual but it happens. My interview letter said not to bring photos, and during the interview my IO asked me where my photos were. I said “the letter said not to bring them”. He said “well our digital camera isn’t working today, so I need photos”. I got photos made that day and returned them to USCIS the next day (I was the last interview before the office closed fir the day). 

The certificate used a photo I didn’t recognize, so I assume it was from biometrics 11 months prior 

Since then the San Joae field office now has beneficiary attending an interview take biometrics at one of an array of desks that is separate from the normal biometrics room.  This way they don’t need to have one of the special digital cameras per interview room.  

- They used old Bio metrics for N-400.

Same here.  USCIS wants extra photos because the machine that prints naturalization certificates is designed to print just two certificates using the same image.  So if there is a printer problem (paper jam, ink issue, etc.) USCIS wants a backup photo to make two more attempts.  

Question 1: Is there any way to change the photo, or is it  kinda too late for that?

I believe it is technically possible to do this because the martial status of an oath taker can

change between interview and oath and the certificate should be correct when the oath is taken. Also there can be technical errors in the actual certificate.  Finally I can imagine sometimes certificates aren’t printed for the reasons I gave above and before the actual oath, USCIS grabs the oath taker for another photo taking.  

She should bring two pairs  of photos to the N-400 oath and ask if they can print a new one there.  Can’t hurt to ask.  

USCIS is under no obligation to grant her request.  She might be told that granting the request would delay oath.  

Question 2: The 8 Questions on the last page of the Oath Ceremony Notice Letter, are you suppose to fill them out on the day of the ceremony and before you enter?

I didn’t receive 8 questions on my letter so I’ve no idea.  What are these 8 questions? Perhaps post the entire letter minus the case number, names, and other identifying info. 

Question 3: Most offices give the naturalization certificate the same day as ceremony right?.

I believe there is no way to have oath without being given a naturalization certificate.

In any case, I would (and would have) refuse(d) to take the oath AND hand over my green card without a naturalization certificate in hand.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

1. They took a picture of me at my N400 interview but used the picture from my GC biometrics on the certificate - I guess they thought that the 5 years since bios hadn't played out well for me :)  

2. The questions on the back of the interview invite should be completed on the day of the oath. At my oath they checked all forms and asked folks to complete them before going into the ceremony. I filled mine a day before then signed it at the USCIS office before handing it over. 

3. Yes, right after the ceremony. They will call out your name and you walk over to the desk (at least in Houston) and then they will walk you through the details of the certificate to ensure everything is correct. This is your only chance to get a new and cost free certificate if any details are wrong. 

Edited by El Escocés

H1B: Feb 2001 (London)

L1A:  Jan 2014 (London)

AOS: May 24th 2016 - June 20th 2017

N400: March 23rd 2020 - June 29th 2021

Passport: July 1st 2021 - August 30th 2021

Social Security: July 1st 2021 - October 5th 2021

Timeline
10 hours ago, biaobiao said:

Question 1 - photo will be taken during the interview 

question 2 - complete it before you take your oath  (complete it ahead of time)

question 3 - they will hand you the certificate after the oath

ok thank you for clarification.

Edited by GuruSikh

Timeline
8 hours ago, clauric said:

After my interview, I had the same day oath. They used my photo from the last biometric when I did my renewal for my permanent resident card which was back in 2014. The certificate was already printed and ready to go when I got to my oath ceremony. The oath ceremony happened 10 minutes after my interview. I have no idea if there is an opportunity to have a new picture for the certificate since I had the same day oath ceremony as my interview.

ok thank you. They did not take my wife's photo at the interview. They will probably do the same thing as well, use my wife's bio metric photo.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Mike E said:

Usually the one taken at the interview.  It can be the one from the biometric appointment. 

Unusual but it happens. My interview letter said not to bring photos, and during the interview my IO asked me where my photos were. I said “the letter said not to bring them”. He said “well our digital camera isn’t working today, so I need photos”. I got photos made that day and returned them to USCIS the next day (I was the last interview before the office closed fir the day). 

The certificate used a photo I didn’t recognize, so I assume it was from biometrics 11 months prior 

Since then the San Joae field office now has beneficiary attending an interview take biometrics at one of an array of desks that is separate from the normal biometrics room.  This way they don’t need to have one of the special digital cameras per interview room.  

Same here.  USCIS wants extra photos because the machine that prints naturalization certificates is designed to print just two certificates using the same image.  So if there is a printer problem (paper jam, ink issue, etc.) USCIS wants a backup photo to make two more attempts.  

I believe it is technically possible to do this because the martial status of an oath taker can

change between interview and oath and the certificate should be correct when the oath is taken. Also there can be technical errors in the actual certificate.  Finally I can imagine sometimes certificates aren’t printed for the reasons I gave above and before the actual oath, USCIS grabs the oath taker for another photo taking.  

She should bring two pairs  of photos to the N-400 oath and ask if they can print a new one there.  Can’t hurt to ask.  

USCIS is under no obligation to grant her request.  She might be told that granting the request would delay oath.  

I didn’t receive 8 questions on my letter so I’ve no idea.  What are these 8 questions? Perhaps post the entire letter minus the case number, names, and other identifying info. 

I believe there is no way to have oath without being given a naturalization certificate.

In any case, I would (and would have) refuse(d) to take the oath AND hand over my green card without a naturalization certificate in hand.  

Thank you for the detailed information! I will let her know. She was thinking about bringing photos just in case. Thanks for the tip.

-Questions about your character and any changes since interview. (Similar to the questions on the N-400 Application)

Most people here on the forums were saying to fill out the questions on the date of your ceremony.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, El Escocés said:

1. They took a picture of me at my N400 interview but used the picture from my GC biometrics on the certificate - I guess they thought that the 5 years since bios hadn't played out well for me :)  

2. The questions on the back of the interview invite should be completed on the day of the oath. At my oath they checked all forms and asked folks to complete them before going into the ceremony. I filled mine a day before then signed it at the USCIS office before handing it over. 

3. Yes, right after the ceremony. They will call out your name and you walk over to the desk (at least in Houston) and then they will walk you through the details of the certificate to ensure everything is correct. This is your only chance to get a new and cost free certificate if any details are wrong. 

1. Im pretty sure, they will use my wife's biometric photo too.

2. ok thank you for clarification.

3. Thanks of the tip!

Find this whole discussion a little confusing. We have 3 in our family who naturalized and one (minor child) who derived citizenship automatically. All 4 certificates have the photos from the biometrics. I don’t recall a photo being taken at my interview at all, and I don’t even recall seeing any discussion of such a thing happening until this thread. I do recall the lady at my biometrics appointment saying it would be the photo that went on my naturalization certificate.  Does this possibly vary by FO?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Husbands naturalization certificate photo was from his biometrics appointment. It’s possible you may have a same day oath ceremony as interview. Husband did in March of this year.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Husbands naturalization certificate photo was from his biometrics appointment. It’s possible you may have a same day oath ceremony as interview. Husband did in March of this year.

Thank you, but my wife already had her interview last month. My wife's oath ceremony is this month.

I wish it was the same day, their office is 100 miles away from us. I think people who have interviews and pass, if there is ceremony happening on the same day; they can take the oath the same day?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
45 minutes ago, GuruSikh said:

Thank you, but my wife already had her interview last month. My wife's oath ceremony is this month.

I wish it was the same day, their office is 100 miles away from us. I think people who have interviews and pass, if there is ceremony happening on the same day; they can take the oath the same day?

Definitely misread your post, sorry. Yes, she will receive certificate of naturalization and have to give her green card back. The day my husband had his oath ceremony there was one in the morning (we saw people leaving with flags) and one in the afternoon. I think maybe he got lucky there were ceremonies that day- no additional info needed on his case and officer approved him (his case) for naturalization on the spot and told us to return in a few hours for the  ceremony.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

2 hours ago, GuruSikh said:

During COVID many offices switched to smaller same day ceremonies for those who got approved that day. My husband and daughter both had same day ceremonies with maybe 20 people a few hours after their interviews, I had to wait 6 weeks after my interview  (at the same FO but pre-Covid) to attend a huge (1300 people? Something like that) ceremony. So it really depends on the FO and what they can organize.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
On 7/20/2021 at 3:07 PM, Luckycuds said:

Definitely misread your post, sorry. Yes, she will receive certificate of naturalization and have to give her green card back. The day my husband had his oath ceremony there was one in the morning (we saw people leaving with flags) and one in the afternoon. I think maybe he got lucky there were ceremonies that day- no additional info needed on his case and officer approved him (his case) for naturalization on the spot and told us to return in a few hours for the  ceremony.

Sorry for late reply. ok thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.