Mitja

My wife, an USA citizen is pregnant, can I go there for the birth of our child?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Hello,

my name is Mitja Duh, I am a citizen of Slovenia, Europe, my wife is an USA citizen and she is pregnant with our 2nd child. Her due date is September 27th and she will have to have a C-section. Of course, she would need help with the baby after birth and we are wondering, if there is ANY WAY that I would be able to visit her in the USA, be there for the birth of our child and afterwards help her with the baby ...?

We would be so much grateful for any answer or insight on this matter.

Thanks to anyone who reads the question and answers, I so much appreciate your time.

Best regards,

Mitja Duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought Slovenia is a VWP country?

https://si.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If you don't qualify for a VIsa Waiver then you have to apply for a Visa

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline

Hello. Thank you for your quick answers. 

I am so sorry  but I completely forgot to write more about where we are in the Visa process.

We are currently in the NVC stage of our IR1 Spouse Visa process. Our USCIS petition was approved on November 23rd 2020.

I can not file for an ESTA (Tourist Visa) because I have been refused entry into the USA under INA 213 on November the 4th 2017 and it says that I can come back to the USA only with the appropriate VISA, such as K1 or IR1/CR1 which of course, we've been in the process of the later option. We got married on January 13th 2018 in Slovenia and have sent our petition to the USCIS in December 2019.

My wife, as I have said, is  now pregnant, and we are wondering if there is anything to be done so that I could visit her and be there for the birth of our baby in September 2021?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like you need a B Visa or hope that your case is processed by then.

Why were you refused entry, not the code, what happened?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 minutes ago, Mitja said:

Hello. Thank you for your quick answers. 

I am so sorry  but I completely forgot to write more about where we are in the Visa process.

We are currently in the NVC stage of our IR1 Spouse Visa process. Our USCIS petition was approved on November 23rd 2020.

I can not file for an ESTA (Tourist Visa) because I have been refused entry into the USA under INA 213 on November the 4th 2017 and it says that I can come back to the USA only with the appropriate VISA, such as K1 or IR1/CR1 which of course, we've been in the process of the later option. We got married on January 13th 2018 in Slovenia and have sent our petition to the USCIS in December 2019.

My wife, as I have said, is  now pregnant, and we are wondering if there is anything to be done so that I could visit her and be there for the birth of our baby in September 2021?

ESTA is not the same as the B tourist visa, just FYI. Understanding the terminology is important because in the legal world, words have very specific meanings. It would help if you gave more details about why you were refused. Since you can't do ESTA/VWP, then your only options are to try for the B visa (difficult to say what your chances of approval are...with a previous refused entry and a pending spousal petition, chances are probably somewhat low) or hope that your immigrant visa will be granted before September.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You could ask for an expedite for the spousal visa, based on humanitarian grounds of hardship for your USC wife.  Maybe a long shot, but there's no cost to try, and probably a better chance for an NVC expedite than a B2 approval.  Is Slovenia scheduling spousal visa interviews?  If so, your interview should be coming soon since the petition was approved seven months ago.  Good luck!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Sounds like you need a B Visa or hope that your case is processed by then.

Why were you refused entry, not the code, what happened?

I went to the USA on a Tourist Visa (ESTA) to visit my girlfriend (now my wife). They thought that I would marry her and like, not return from the USA so they denied me entry. I didn't know for any K1 visas or anything at that time. We weren't even engaged. So that was quite a challenge.

2 hours ago, mushroomspore said:

ESTA is not the same as the B tourist visa, just FYI. Understanding the terminology is important because in the legal world, words have very specific meanings. It would help if you gave more details about why you were refused. Since you can't do ESTA/VWP, then your only options are to try for the B visa (difficult to say what your chances of approval are...with a previous refused entry and a pending spousal petition, chances are probably somewhat low) or hope that your immigrant visa will be granted before September.

Got it. Thank you very much for your answer. It was really helpful.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

You could ask for an expedite for the spousal visa, based on humanitarian grounds of hardship for your USC wife.  Maybe a long shot, but there's no cost to try, and probably a better chance for an NVC expedite than a B2 approval.  Is Slovenia scheduling spousal visa interviews?  If so, your interview should be coming soon since the petition was approved seven months ago.  Good luck!

That sounds good. We are in the NVC Stage but we haven't submitted all the documents yet. I have just scanned the Financial Documents today and will upload them shortly. 

Do you know where I could request for an expedite for the spousal visa?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Mitja said:

Call NVC after all your documents are uploaded and explain your situation and ask about expediting your case.  If the Slovenia embassy is scheduling spousal visa interviews (CR-1/IR-1), they might listen and give you the chance to submit documentation justifying the expedite.  If they give you that option, make sure you have documentation showing hardship to your USC spouse to send them or to upload if they ask for it.  Some who try to expedite don't get any further than the verbal request, so be prepared for that possible outcome.  Your USC spouse could also try to call NVC

Phone (for immigrant visa inquiries only): (603) 334-0700

Customer Service Representatives are available from 7:00 AM to 12:00 midnight Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays. Due to high call volumes, wait times may exceed 30 minutes. Many of your questions can be answered in the FAQ’s section of this website. You can see the current status of your case or make updates by logging into the Consular Electronic Application Center at https://ceac.state.gov.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

They will not expedite for routine pregnancy/birth.

46 minutes ago, Mitja said:

That sounds good. We are in the NVC Stage but we haven't submitted all the documents yet. I have just scanned the Financial Documents today and will upload them shortly. 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/671722-no-pregnancy-is-not-grounds-to-expedite-your-process/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Why don't you complete your timeline? before asking any question here. Whenever someone is asking questions we go to there timeline and understand there situation. Without there timeline it's hard to help. 

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

They will not expedite for routine pregnancy/birth.

This is true but there is no harm in asking. Be sure to have your doctor provide you with any statements of complications that might apply. At worst you will be right where you are now.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.