18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everyone. As we all know, because of covid a lot of embassies are closed. My question is, while we wait until the k1 leaves the NVC, do we need to do something? Like pay fees or fill out forms. Or we just wait and only do that when the embassies re-open?. 
It's been so long I forgot some details about the process. Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, tahm said:

Hello everyone. As we all know, because of covid a lot of embassies are closed. My question is, while we wait until the k1 leaves the NVC, do we need to do something? Like pay fees or fill out forms. Or we just wait and only do that when the embassies re-open?. 
It's been so long I forgot some details about the process. Thank you.

No. You will complete the DS160 online once the Consulate received the petition and starts the process. You’ll then be able to do the medical and complete collecting your documents for interview 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I personally would recommend that you start preparing the paperworks that are required for the interview. In my case it was my birth certificate, household registration and police records, etc. Cause most of them were not in English and needed a lot of days to apply and translate. Good luck!

K-1 VISA

• I-129F Sent : 2020-07-12
  • I-129F NOA1 : 2020-07-15
  • I-129F NOA2 : 2021-02-25
  • NVC Received : 2021-03-29
  • NVC Left : 2021-04-13
  • Consulate Received : 2021-04-16
  • Medical : 2021-04-26
  • Interview Date : 2021-05-18
  • Visa Received : 2021-05-22
  • Arrived US : 2021-08-05

AOS

• Married : 2021-09-03
  • I-485, I-765, I-131 Sent : 2021-09-25
  • USPS Delivered: 2021-09-28
  • NOA-1 : 2021-10-01
  • Biometric Appointment Notice Text : 2021-10-02
  • Biometric Appointment Letter : 2021-10-09
  • Biometric Taken : 2021-10-29
  • EAD/AP Combo Card being produced : 2022-05-20
  • EAD/AP Combo Card Received : 2022-05-26

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Vivibabylol said:

I personally would recommend that you start preparing the paperworks that are required for the interview. In my case it was my birth certificate, household registration and police records, etc. Cause most of them were not in English and needed a lot of days to apply and translate. Good luck!

Documents in the native language of the country you are applying for the visa do NOT require translation. 

Secondly,  need to be careful getting certain documents as some are time bound and could expire before the interview happens

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Documents in the native language of the country you are applying for the visa do NOT require translation. 

Secondly,  need to be careful getting certain documents as some are time bound and could expire before the interview happens

Well, all of my legal documents are in Mandarin since I'm in Taiwan. We're required to have them in English for the interview. And most of our birth certificates here are issued by hospitals and since the US consulate will only recognize documents issued by government, we need to translate, get notarized in court, and send to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for authentication. That's why I specified that "in my case".

Yes, need to be careful with the timing. I'd say it's better to do the research on all the documents needed and make plans. 

K-1 VISA

• I-129F Sent : 2020-07-12
  • I-129F NOA1 : 2020-07-15
  • I-129F NOA2 : 2021-02-25
  • NVC Received : 2021-03-29
  • NVC Left : 2021-04-13
  • Consulate Received : 2021-04-16
  • Medical : 2021-04-26
  • Interview Date : 2021-05-18
  • Visa Received : 2021-05-22
  • Arrived US : 2021-08-05

AOS

• Married : 2021-09-03
  • I-485, I-765, I-131 Sent : 2021-09-25
  • USPS Delivered: 2021-09-28
  • NOA-1 : 2021-10-01
  • Biometric Appointment Notice Text : 2021-10-02
  • Biometric Appointment Letter : 2021-10-09
  • Biometric Taken : 2021-10-29
  • EAD/AP Combo Card being produced : 2022-05-20
  • EAD/AP Combo Card Received : 2022-05-26

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Vivibabylol said:

Well, all of my legal documents are in Mandarin since I'm in Taiwan. We're required to have them in English for the interview. 

The above then would be in conflict with the website.

The following is directly from the AIT web site:

"

Pre-Interview checklist

Please use the list below to ensure you have all of the items that every applicant must bring to the immigrant visa interview. Any documents that are not in either English or Chinese must be accompanied by a certified English translation:"

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (“USCIS”) requires any non-English language document submitted as evidence or in support of an application or petition to be accompanied by a certified English translation which has to meet certain specific requirements.

Foreign Language Translation Requirements

OP your USC fiancee should gather the 2020 IRS  transcripts and send them as soon as possible as you need them for intreview

if you ever resided in another country other than birth country u need that police report 

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Supplemental/RGA%20-%20Riga.pdf'

5.POLICE CERTIFICATES: Each visa applicant at least 16 years of age, must submit an original police certificate:  from the police authorities of the applicant's country of current residence if the applicant has resided there for at least six months after attaining the age of sixteen;  from the police authorities of all other countries, except the United States, where the applicant has resided for at least one year after attaining the age of sixteen;

wait on the police report where u live now as it needs to be current

Timeline
8 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (“USCIS”) requires any non-English language document submitted as evidence or in support of an application or petition to be accompanied by a certified English translation which has to meet certain specific requirements.

USCIS is NOT the consulate.   Consulates require translations only when a non English document is in a language other than the national language(s) of the country of interview 

YMMV

1 hour ago, payxibka said:

USCIS is NOT the consulate.   Consulates require translations only when a non English document is in a language other than the national language(s) of the country of interview 

That is consulate specific. For my interview I had to bring notarized translations of documents which were in the native language.

Timeline
6 hours ago, powerpuff said:

That is consulate specific. For my interview I had to bring notarized translations of documents which were in the native language.

I'd like to see the instructions from the consulate because when I follow the links directly from the KZ consulate website,  this is what I find.

Please note that all documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country from which you are applying, must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that:

• The translation is accurate, and
  • The translator is competent to translate.

YMMV

7 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I'd like to see the instructions from the consulate because when I follow the links directly from the KZ consulate website,  this is what I find.

Please note that all documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country from which you are applying, must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that:

• The translation is accurate, and
  • The translator is competent to translate.

You really want to debate this with someone who received clear instructions in the email from the consulate few weeks ago and was asked for notarized translations of my birth and police certificates at the interview? 

Ok, here you go, attaching a screenshot of instructions that were received in the email:

625018575_ScreenShot2021-05-20at17_15_40.png.a3484ff6797137953524de20a3e94e52.png

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
13 hours ago, Vivibabylol said:

Well, all of my legal documents are in Mandarin since I'm in Taiwan. We're required to have them in English for the interview. And most of our birth certificates here are issued by hospitals and since the US consulate will only recognize documents issued by government, we need to translate, get notarized in court, and send to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for authentication. That's why I specified that "in my case".

Yes, need to be careful with the timing. I'd say it's better to do the research on all the documents needed and make plans. 

Do you have a source for this? Our interview instructions from AIT stated translations are not required for documents in Mandarin. 

Note:  We opted for the English/Chinese character version of our marriage certificate we obtained from our Household Registration Office. 

This is from our actual interview letter:

image.png.77f8d06aa405e5381e307a290fd1f34d.png

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

On the official U.S. Embassy and Consulates website for my country it says that unless the documents are in a third language, that is not portuguese or english, they need to be translated. So I don't think I need to translate them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
13 hours ago, Vivibabylol said:

That's why I specified that "in my case".

Good luck.  My wife and I are closely monitoring the conditions in Taiwan.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
10 hours ago, powerpuff said:

And in the other direction, I believe there are some embassies/consulates that accept documents in one or more other languages beyond English and the native/official language of that country for one reason or another (to name a few -- residents of former Soviet Union countries frequently have documents in Russian and I think some of their embassies/consulates accept them, a few embassies/consulates handle multiple countries with different native languages, and also there are some countries with multiple native languages).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.