12 posts in this topic

Hi!

I am a US citizen and have applied for a I-130 for my parents on 3/31/2021. I am trying to apply for I-485 for them and it asks for their birth certificates. They were born in the 40's and 50's so they do not have a birth certificate. Can they self swear n affidavit in front of a notary and use that as secondary proof, since its not a good time to get an affidavit from India? I am also planning to get a 'Birth certificate based on passport' from the Houston Consulate (we live in TX) by sending their passports as another secondary form of evidence. Please advice if this would work or if any other suggestions for getting their birth certificates.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Sujatha said:

Can they self swear n affidavit in front of a notary and use that as secondary proof, since its not a good time to get an affidavit from India?

No, affidavits need to be from third parties, not the applicant.  There is no special exception to this due to the situation in India.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, Sujatha said:

Hi!

I am a US citizen and have applied for a I-130 for my parents on 3/31/2021. I am trying to apply for I-485 for them and it asks for their birth certificates. They were born in the 40's and 50's so they do not have a birth certificate. Can they self swear n affidavit in front of a notary and use that as secondary proof, since its not a good time to get an affidavit from India? I am also planning to get a 'Birth certificate based on passport' from the Houston Consulate (we live in TX) by sending their passports as another secondary form of evidence. Please advice if this would work or if any other suggestions for getting their birth certificates.

Thanks!

Birth Certificates

Available: For persons born after April 1, 1970, birth certificates are available. For persons born prior to April 1, 1970, birth certificates are considered unavailable.

Read the last sentence 

YMMV

Got it. I will try to get the affidavits from India in that case. This will be one proof.

Do you think getting the "birth certificate based on passport"  will not work as secondary proof?  they do have their pan cards,  adhaar cards and driving license  issued by the government. Would any of those work as secondary proof? they only have their name and DOB and have no other information on their parents or place of birth.

They have to leave the USA based on their I-94 in a month and all i have is the receipt for I-130 from uscis saying it was recieved. Would that suffice or would i need receipts for I-485 as well for them to stay here? 

Thanks much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, Sujatha said:

They have to leave the USA based on their I-94 in a month and all i have is the receipt for I-130 from uscis saying it was recieved. Would that suffice or would i need receipts for I-485 as well for them to stay here? 

Thanks much!

If they leave the US before the I-485 is adjudicated, the AOS will be considered abandoned unless they have AP before they leave, so I recommend that they stay in the US while the I-485 is pending.  The receipt notice does not suffice for travel without AP.  Did they also apply for AP?  Here's the link:

https://www.uscis.gov/archive/filing-directions-to-obtain-employment-authorization-and-advance-parole-card-where-adjustment-of

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You need to file the I 485

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...

I have all the documentation ready for filing i-485 for my parents along with i-864 affidavit of support and also i-131. 
1. Can i send all three forms i-485/i-131/i-864 together in one packet or different packages when sending to the uscis? 

2. I-94 for my parents expires on 6/15. I am hoping to get an e-acknowledgment by then. Anyone who applied recently, is 20 days enough of a timeline for just the receipt of package? Should i apply for their extension of stay?

thAnks!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, Sujatha said:

I have all the documentation ready for filing i-485 for my parents along with i-864 affidavit of support and also i-131. 
1. Can i send all three forms i-485/i-131/i-864 together in one packet or different packages when sending to the uscis? 

2. I-94 for my parents expires on 6/15. I am hoping to get an e-acknowledgment by then. Anyone who applied recently, is 20 days enough of a timeline for just the receipt of package? Should i apply for their extension of stay?

thAnks!!

1.  You can

2.  You won't get an acknowledgement for the i485 in three weeks, but don't worry about the extension 

YMMV

17 hours ago, Sujatha said:

Can i send all three forms i-485/i-131/i-864 together in one packet or different packages when sending to the uscis? 

How about I-765?  Don't you need SSN for your parents?

Check here for tips on mailing multiple packets together -- https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-guidance/form-filing-tips

• 1 month later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

@Sujatha I hope I am not hijacking your post. I am also Indian and in past have thought about eventually applying for GC for my Indian parents who are in the same age group as yours. The concern that I have always had is what to do with their health insurance and health care down the road as they would not qualify for medicare/medicaid. Since you are in the process of applying for their green card, have you figured out any details of how you will handle your parent's healthcare costs down the road?

RoC Timeline:

1. 12/04/2023 - Application sent to USCIS Elgin, IL lockbox
  2. 12/07/2023 - Application received by USCIS
  3. 12/12/2023 - Received "Your case received" text message from USCIS. Receiipt # starts with IOE
  4. 12/13/2023 - Check cashed by USCIS
  5. 12/19/2023 - Received in mail the I797 with the receipt number and the online access code
  6. 12/19/2023 - Received in mail the bio-metric re-use notification
  7. 12/21/2023 - Received in mail the I797 NoA extending my green card by 48 months

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.