Valkirye5

Rejected at DMW

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

just be sure to take a print out of the relevant regulations from the official gov website for your state.  AND have the link to that page ready to show them on your phone.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Liechtenstein
Timeline
1 minute ago, David and Anna said:

just be sure to take a print out of the relevant regulations from the official gov website for your state.  AND have the link to that page ready to show them on your phone.

I will definitely. 

20 hours ago, Valkirye5 said:

Yes I have read that and called them before I have come there. Well I will try another DMW as good people here have told me.  

Out or curiosity...everytime you write 'DMV', you actually write 'DMW'...what do you think the W stands for? Department of Motor...xxxxxx.

I thought it was a typo initially, but saw that you write it each time, so wondered if you perhaps call it something different?

21 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Out or curiosity...everytime you write 'DMV', you actually write 'DMW'...what do you think the W stands for? Department of Motor...xxxxxx.

I thought it was a typo initially, but saw that you write it each time, so wondered if you perhaps call it something different?

Whack.

10 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Whack.

Well, I'm British, so I assumed the W word that rhymes with 'banker'.

Plus, if my local DMV is anything to go by, that's an appropriate description 🤔.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Leave your passport and I-94 at home so that the issue isn't clouded. You aren't required to have either if you have a green card.

Times have changed. In 1986 when I got my IL drivers license, the DMV refused to accept my green card as an ID in addition to my Florida DL. They did accept my Sears credit card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Leave your passport and I-94 at home so that the issue isn't clouded. You aren't required to have either if you have a green card.

Times have changed. In 1986 when I got my IL drivers license, the DMV refused to accept my green card as an ID in addition to my Florida DL. They did accept my Sears credit card.

I agree with the I94, but the MT DMV site says a valid foreign passport and either the I94 or an I551.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

I agree with the I94, but the MT DMV site says a valid foreign passport and either the I94 or an I551.

That's just one of the options to prove authorized presence.  Another one is: "A valid, unexpired permanent resident card (form I-551)".  No I-94 needed if you have a Greencard.

https://dojmt.gov/driving/required-docs/#auth-presence

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

I disagree. It does not say that.  I agree it is poorly written and this is the source of difficulty for OP.  But a unexpired I-551 card is sufficient 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I disagree. It does not say that.  I agree it is poorly written and this is the source of difficulty for OP.  But a unexpired I-551 card is sufficient 

22 minutes ago, RLA said:

That's just one of the options to prove authorized presence.  Another one is: "A valid, unexpired permanent resident card (form I-551)".  No I-94 needed if you have a Greencard.

https://dojmt.gov/driving/required-docs/#auth-presence

You are both right, you only need the passport if showing a temporary I551 contained in the passport  I stopped reading when I saw a valid unexpired certificate of naturalization as I was laughing too hard.

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

On 4/29/2021 at 7:47 AM, Misscloud said:

The officer is super wrong. If you already have greencard, u can get Driving license. I don’t even have GC and I can get one because I have EAD and SS 

Back when I did AOS, after sending the package and receiving the first 797 letter showing they accepted the forms, with that form is enough proof in Texas to get a DL, and I did get it showing that letter and my passport.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ecaen87 said:

Back when I did AOS, after sending the package and receiving the first 797 letter showing they accepted the forms, with that form is enough proof in Texas to get a DL, and I did get it showing that letter and my passport.

I have arranged a new appointment at the new office so will see what will happen. 

That appointment is in the middle of June ( gotta love local MT offices lol ).

Timeline
22 hours ago, Mike E said:

I will bring passport and green card, I94 will leave at home , so hopefully new officer will be the normal one. 

Timeline
45 minutes ago, Valkirye5 said:

I will bring passport and green card, I94 will leave at home , so hopefully new officer will be the normal one. 

You don’t need your show  your passport which shows a stamp that your authorized stay has expired.  Don’t overwhelm the dmv clerk.  

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.