eggybreadb78

National Interest Exemption Update

83 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I know that we won't truly know everything about the update yet, but I'm curious if anyone can weigh in with their opinions. As K-1s (all, not just plaintiffs), are exempt from the travel ban now, are we thinking the Embassies are going to resume routine processing because they can't use the ban as an excuse? If so, how long do we all think this huge backlog will take to go through (London is where I'm most concerned), we're talking a year... that's a lot of people. While I'm glad about this for others, my heart is broken because we were praying for our NOA2 to come in so we could join/start legal proceedings and now it appears this will not be an option anymore. It's not lost upon me that this is a huge win, but if I'm being honest, it stings.

Edited by eggybreadb78

Timeline

Found it! https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/updates-to-national-interest-exceptions-for-regional-covid-proclamations.html

On April 8, 2021, the Secretary of State determined that travel on an immigrant or fiancé(e) visa is in the national interest for purposes of granting exceptions under the geographic COVID proclamations.   Immigrant Visa processing posts may now grant immigrant and fiancé(e) visas to applicants otherwise eligible, notwithstanding these proclamations.

Immigrant and K fiancé visa applicants present in South Africa, Brazil, the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, the People’s Republic of China, and the Islamic Republic of Iran should review the website of the nearest embassy or consulate which processes immigrant visas to verify which visa services are currently available, as the volume and type of visa cases each post is able to process, given the ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, will depend on local circumstances.  At posts where immigrant visa processing is available, immigrant visas will be prioritized in accordance with the Department’s guidance on the phased resumption of visa services.  An embassy or consulate will resume adjudicating all routine visa cases only when it is safe to do so and adequate resources are available.  As local conditions improve, our missions will begin providing additional services, culminating eventually in a complete resumption of routine visa services.  We are unable to provide a specific date for when each mission will resume specific visa services.  Applicants should monitor embassy and consulate websites for updates on availability of visa services.

After meeting demand for services for U.S. citizens, embassies and consulates will continue to prioritize immediate  family members of U.S. citizens including intercountry adoptions and spouses and minor children of U.S. citizens, as well as fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens, and certain Special Immigrant Visa applications, in accordance with the phased resumption of visa services guidance.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, fezlopez said:

This was in response to a lawsuit filed against Dept of State yesterday (or maybe just coincidence...)

Given how consulates provided blanket NIEs to students, I think they'll do the same to K-1 applicants.

I know :( oh for sure, they will definitely do that. It just sucks because the backlog is huge and growing still. I was counting on (naively, yes) being able to engage in whatever legal proceedings necessary to get our interview without being stuck in the backlog. It's hard to have that option and hope taken away.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The London website big FAQ page  has not updated since March. It would be a good place to monitor for opening up news.  https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/u-s-visa-and-travel-faqs/

Also there is a UK FORUM on VJ where K1 chatter will start up again once things start moving.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

The London website big FAQ page  has not updated since March. It would be a good place to monitor for opening up news.  https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/u-s-visa-and-travel-faqs/

Also there is a UK FORUM on VJ where K1 chatter will start up again once things start moving.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

I didn't know there was a UK group, thank you so much! I hope someone on there might share my feelings about the situation!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It's good news in that we are now considered important (finally!), but the key is that it still depends on local COVID conditions. I would be interested in how that goes. I saw you applied in late Oct...honestly there are still applicants waiting from 2019. It's still great to think about others who have been waiting for over a year already and not be disappointed in this progress...

Timeline
6 minutes ago, NandV said:

It's good news in that we are now considered important (finally!), but the key is that it still depends on local COVID conditions. I would be interested in how that goes. I saw you applied in late Oct...honestly there are still applicants waiting from 2019. It's still great to think about others who have been waiting for over a year already and not be disappointed in this progress...

I’m very interested in that as well!! Oh, I completely understand that we haven’t long filed but it doesn’t mean our process to get there has been short. I feel so much for those who have been waiting a long time to have their interviews etc. it is definitely great for many people. Just very disheartening when we had placed hopes on being able to join a lawsuit like so many others :( it isn’t lost on me though that we are very lucky to have even been able to consider that option.

Edited by eggybreadb78

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Your time will come eventually, NOA2s are going out to early September filers now. If anything, think of it like this: the sooner interviews resume, the shorter the line will be by the time you're at that stage (probably a few months from now). The deadline to sign up for the final round of the Milligan v Pompeo lawsuit was weeks ago, so it's not like you missed out by a narrow margin.  

I think it's great that interviews will now be available for those who can't afford the $2k to join the lawsuit. The backlog you're referring to are all people in the same boat you are -- people separated from their loved one, some of which have been waiting on interviews for over a year now. This is a huge win.

Timeline

The Department of state have released this statement stating that K1 visa applicants are exempt from the travel restrictions.  From the initial statement i believed it was K1 visa holders only that were exempt.  Does this mean we can travel pending the outcome of our visa application?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, neto-66 said:

for those who can't afford the $2k to join the lawsuit.

Seriously? People are paying that much? I haven’t followed it.

Timeline
2 hours ago, IvoryandRebecca said:

The Department of state have released this statement stating that K1 visa applicants are exempt from the travel restrictions.  From the initial statement i believed it was K1 visa holders only that were exempt.  Does this mean we can travel pending the outcome of our visa application?  

Yes and you do not have to quarantine in another country for 14 days anymore

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.