nekotakacho

B2 Pregnancy Entry JFK

81 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
On 3/24/2021 at 5:30 PM, nekotakacho said:

Hi, a friend of ours wants to visit the USA (from Russia) on a B2 tourist visa, with the intent of giving birth here this summer. Is this possible? What documents are necessary to do this? She has spoken to US clinics and has been accepted into one. Does she need to show this to US Customs officer? Does she need to show a return ticket and proof of funds? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

No too many B2 visas are being given out these days.  He needs to prove financial stability.  Because if he does not have any income, his visa will be denied. Embassy will be afraid he will not leave when his time is up on his visa.

3 hours ago, Chica79 said:

No too many B2 visas are being given out these days.  He needs to prove financial stability.  Because if he does not have any income, his visa will be denied. Embassy will be afraid he will not leave when his time is up on his visa.

"He"?   Did you read the original post??

On 3/24/2021 at 6:30 PM, nekotakacho said:

Hi, a friend of ours wants to visit the USA (from Russia) on a B2 tourist visa, with the intent of giving birth here this summer. Is this possible? What documents are necessary to do this? She has spoken to US clinics and has been accepted into one. Does she need to show this to US Customs officer? Does she need to show a return ticket and proof of funds? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

just to have a baby in US is not a reason to visit unless there is a medical reason. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

The problem here is that few young Russian women visit the USA alone for pleasure, especially during a pandemic.

They are very, very likely to question her about why she is visiting the US, how long she is planning to stay, how can she be away from work for so long, etc.

Young Russian women don't visit the USA alone for months and months just to visit friends or distant family. 

CBP may refer her to secondary inspection on suspicion she has an American boyfriend and is coming to get married and adjust status. 

Is she planning to pay the birthing clinic in advance or arrive with lots of cash? 

My understanding is/was that it's perfectly legal for a visa holder to say "I'm here to give birth and here's the proof of funds that I can pay for that at a private clinic"

Maybe that has changed recently though.

After Love in the Time of Cholera, we have tourism in the time of Corona.  

She better have a clear "touristic" plan, because there is not much tourism to do these days; many sites, museums, and other touristic activities are still not open around here. I know you were joking about going to Greece, but I would much rather deliver in EU than in the US, but to each their own. 

40 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

My understanding is/was that it's perfectly legal for a visa holder to say "I'm here to give birth and here's the proof of funds that I can pay for that at a private clinic"

Maybe that has changed recently though.

The more immediate problem imo is the statement that she will pay cash. She will need to declare the cash as it will certainly be (probably way) more than the limit to bring in without declaring. She will be asked to show proof of source of funds. “Very rich daddy” is not really an acceptable answer. Rich daddy should have her set up with a credit card rather than letting his pregnant daughter go to jfk in such a mode as to raise alarms about potential money laundering.

8 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

I don't think CBP does that when foreigners arrive with a lot of cash and declare it.

Watch some episodes of border security, of course they can ask where it comes from.  That’s kind of the point of why it has to be declared. I’ve seen them ask about source of funds even when it’s “conveniently” just below $10k.

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Watch some episodes of border security, of course they can ask where it comes from.  That’s kind of the point of why it has to be declared. I’ve seen them ask about source of funds even when it’s “conveniently” just below $10k.

Well, if she says it's from her rich father and she has the money to pay a birthing clinic, why is that problematic? You think CBP will say "No we think you're a drug dealer" and seize it? 

Smugglers generally try to smuggle cash out of the USA, not into it.  Drugs and guns come into the USA. Cash goes out.

Edited by jaysaldi

On 3/24/2021 at 9:02 PM, .yana said:

Are tourists even being allowed into the US right now?

Yes, millions are still being admitted for B-2 visits: https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/special-reports/legal-immigration "Table 4B" "Temporary visitors for pleasure (B2)" Row

I-94 Nonimmigrant Admissions

At the time of this report, data on nonimmigrant admissions were available for the second quarter (Q2) of FY 2020. Detailed data on nonimmigrants in this report are based on I-94/I-94W information, which U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) uses to record certain nonimmigrant admissions (collectively referred to as I-94 nonimmigrant admissions).

Endnotes

3. The nonimmigrant admission data are always a quarter behind due to CBP’s data reporting closeout process.

Edited by HRQX

8 hours ago, jaysaldi said:

Well, if she says it's from her rich father and she has the money to pay a birthing clinic, why is that problematic? You think CBP will say "No we think you're a drug dealer" and seize it? 

Smugglers generally try to smuggle cash out of the USA, not into it.  Drugs and guns come into the USA. Cash goes out.

Because there are laws in place against money laundering as well as other illegal movements of funds. They have the right to refuse her entry if they don’t like the story where the money comes from. If it was only a problem going out why would they have a declaration limit in money coming in? Suggest you read a bit more widely.  Example https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/flight-attendants-miami-international-airport-money-laundering/1936523/

Timeline
6 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Because there are laws in place against money laundering as well as other illegal movements of funds. They have the right to refuse her entry if they don’t like the story where the money comes from. If it was only a problem going out why would they have a declaration limit in money coming in? Suggest you read a bit more widely.  Example https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/flight-attendants-miami-international-airport-money-laundering/1936523/

People enter the USA all the time declaring lots of money. CBP doesn't generally turn them away.  She's more likely to get denied entry if she shows up pregnant with only a few thousand dollars and no way to pay for the birth.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
10 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

After Love in the Time of Cholera, we have tourism in the time of Corona.  

She better have a clear "touristic" plan, because there is not much tourism to do these days; many sites, museums, and other touristic activities are still not open around here. I know you were joking about going to Greece, but I would much rather deliver in EU than in the US, but to each their own. 

We have a family home in Greece. She’s my sister in law. But we would never deliver in Greece. Never. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

She has plenty of money to show them. Accounts and banking apps. These are acceptable. CBP did not even ask her anything about funds. She and her husband carried a giant stroller through customs. No problem whatsoever. Btw, she’s 6 months pregnant, I was wrong. And she doesn’t even show (barely).

Timeline
On 3/28/2021 at 3:07 PM, Chica79 said:

That’s not true because SHE already has the visa. It’s her 3rd B2 visa in a decade. 

what you’re saying is true for B2 applicants, but she’s not applying. Her B2 expires in June. Luckily she used it at the right time and is allowed until September (6 months). 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.